Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,726 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in a very small town in Ohio. We are both currently unemployed as the jobs here are slim to none. We've applied to everything and we are either too qualified or under qualified. We've been wanting to relocate to the MB/Conway area for a coupe years. Well, I believe this may be the year we just jump and do it. We are in our early 30's. I guess what my question is, is this: should we find a place first or apply to jobs? He has been apply to jobs, but it seems like nothing is biting. I graduated from community college with an AAS(pharmacy technology), he has experience in retail and restaurant.

We just really want to relocate and I don't even know where to start. We are thinking about taking our tax returns and just moving, but we would be looking for a place to rent about 350 to 500 a month. Any help would be appreciated. I just don't know where to start.

Thanks a million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 09:42 PM

328 posts, read 434,183 times
In my opinion you are not ready to move.

Some questions and thoughts.

1. Do you have kids?

2. Never moved without at least 6 months of living expenses in the bank.

3. 300-500 rent is extremely cheap rent, not going to put you in anything safe in this area for that low of rent.

4. Jobs here in the restaurant arena are slim to none as well. Low pay and seasonal jobs here.
Unless he has a very highly skilled area would he be hired full time here.

5. I moved here from Ohio and already retired so no job was needed or I would have stayed in Ohio.
Ohio has a much better outlook for jobs other then our fantastic Governor in SC has created some great jobs here but they are not in this area.

6. What town are you from? Columbus is mentioned as one of the best locations to move for cost of living, jobs, quality of life etc.

7. Have you spent much time in this area?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
There are lots of old folks here....that means lots of pharmacies.....I'd apply to all of them...see if there are any bites! Plenty of restaurants, too, but that's not great pay.

I would get jobs lined up BEFORE moving!!!

Old 01-14-2015, 03:15 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,715,421 times
Absolutely DO NOT move here without a job lined up.
South Carolina is a big place, had you thought of trying another part of the state? Tourism based economies do not tend to provide long-term employment opportunities, so this part of the state may have jobs, but the vast majority will be seasonal, low-paying opportunities.
Your rent budget is very low for this area- quite honestly you need to have at least $700 + utilities available, and that will only get you a small single-bedroom or studio.
Don't blame you for wanting to move south! But think a little outside the box----you are still fairly young and this is a retirement/tourist area. Broaden your search to somewhere like Greenville or Florence with more young people and a broader array of job opportunites. A college town might work well for you, too, especially if you have interest in expanding that pharm.tech degree into something bigger....

Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB86 View Post
In my opinion you are not ready to move.

Some questions and thoughts.

1. Do you have kids?

2. Never moved without at least 6 months of living expenses in the bank.

3. 300-500 rent is extremely cheap rent, not going to put you in anything safe in this area for that low of rent.

4. Jobs here in the restaurant arena are slim to none as well. Low pay and seasonal jobs here.
Unless he has a very highly skilled area would he be hired full time here.

5. I moved here from Ohio and already retired so no job was needed or I would have stayed in Ohio.
Ohio has a much better outlook for jobs other then our fantastic Governor in SC has created some great jobs here but they are not in this area.

6. What town are you from? Columbus is mentioned as one of the best locations to move for cost of living, jobs, quality of life etc.

7. Have you spent much time in this area?
1. No we don't have kids.
2. I've tried explaining that to my hard-headed husband. He won't listen!
3. I found a studio for 515 (not counting utilities).
4. I've explain this to him as well. That most jobs there are "seasonal". He still won't listen.
5. What area in SC should I be looking into?
6. We live in a small town called South Point. He's right on the Ohio river by Huntington, WV and Ashland, KY. We moved to the outside of the north Columbus area (Cardington, OH) and lived with his aunt. He had a job at the Toyota factory but it was only temp.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
There are lots of old folks here....that means lots of pharmacies.....I'd apply to all of them...see if there are any bites! Plenty of restaurants, too, but that's not great pay.

I would get jobs lined up BEFORE moving!!!
Thanks. I've already applied at one. Going to trying mailing my resume to the rest.

I told my husband we need to get jobs but he won't listen.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 PM

308 posts, read 468,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Absolutely DO NOT move here without a job lined up.
South Carolina is a big place, had you thought of trying another part of the state? Tourism based economies do not tend to provide long-term employment opportunities, so this part of the state may have jobs, but the vast majority will be seasonal, low-paying opportunities.
Your rent budget is very low for this area- quite honestly you need to have at least $700 + utilities available, and that will only get you a small single-bedroom or studio.
Don't blame you for wanting to move south! But think a little outside the box----you are still fairly young and this is a retirement/tourist area. Broaden your search to somewhere like Greenville or Florence with more young people and a broader array of job opportunites. A college town might work well for you, too, especially if you have interest in expanding that pharm.tech degree into something bigger....

I will concur with the above assessment, Greenville,Spartanburg, Florence, Columbia, Charleston, are nice cities.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:53 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
sdstubbs,
You can't find a find in Ohio for a pharmacy tech?
Wow.
Well, let me tell you this, there are basically two classes
of jobs in South Carolina.
There are the good paying jobs with benefits, usually requiring at least
at a minimum, a four year degree from a University.
Then there are the low paying jobs for minimum wage, which everyone else
works.
So, if you aren't a college grad, you are going to be lucky to get a very low
paying job in SC, because the State is full of people competing for those low
paying jobs, with no benefits.
Sorry, that is the truth.
My advise to you is to go back to school and become a Pharmacist.
Then, you can move to SC and work anywhere.
There are a lot of retirees in SC, you can work anywhere.
It isn't good here in SC is you aren't highly educated, and even then,
many educated people are surprised at the big pay cut they take when
they move here.
Read the threads on this forum, research it.
You will see a pattern emerge, listen to it.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:26 AM

68 posts, read 107,573 times
Default Look in Charleston area

You should be looking in Charleston, SC area. There are jobs there. Lots of restaurants and pharmacies, and medical fields in that area. Charleston is booming; not a retirement/seasonal area, but still coastal. Beautiful city, with lots of things to do for a couple your ages. Mt. Pleasant, Johns Island, James Island, Summerville, Goose Creek and Moncks Corner areas would still be close enough to live and still work in Charleston. Summerville is growing by leaps and bounds and may even find employment there as well. Again, as everyone else has said, your rent budget is not feasible. You will not find anything for $350 -$500 a month and if you do, trust me, you would not want to live there as it would be the slums. You're going to have to pay at the very least $800 and above. Maybe possible to rent in Moncks Corner for $600 @ month and that area would be more like Ashland, KY area. Get a job first and then take the leap. Also, you will probably be required to pay deposits for utilities as well as rent. Hope this helps and good luck with your new adventure!

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM

312 posts, read 732,497 times
As a few reasonable and very realistic folks here have been quite honest and unfortunately I am sure it is NOT want you want to hear.....PLEASE DO NOT move here without employment and living expenses saved for at least 3-6 months......we are from Pennsylvania and even with savings, etc.....10 years ago we just up and moved, the jobs are FEW AND FAR between, my husband was lucky to get a good job with the county but he had experience and even then he took a $20,000 a year loss.....I would agree with others and look at Columbia, South Carolina....or maybe some areas in North Carolina...larger areas such as Raleigh, Charlotte......we have always wished we looked there prior to moving here.......

As well, you will NOT get anything for that amount of rent that you will want to live in....trust me...........if you have any questions or need any further help, do not hesitate to PM me....

Do not mean to discourage, just wishing you the best as I was so full of hope just like your hubby........wishing I had a forum to know what lied ahead.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area