Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,644,919 times

Advertisements

Well we have begun.

Middle daughter who is 22 decided to head down before us. She's planning on going to Georgetown Tech for their EMT program starting for the summer session. She's now looking for a place. Can someone recommend a good area that's not super expensive for rent? Out of the funds for college, we can handle about $500 a month-she just really needs a studio sized place. Anyone know of a good place to start making calls to? We are going to move her down end of March-early April so she can also find a part time job-she's hoping to work at a golf course as she played Varsity golf for 4 years and would like to start up again doing that.

We'll be moving out of NYS in the early fall of 2016 ourselves-there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Our youngest is targeting 5-7 schools in the south for graphic arts-SCAD being her number 1 in GA. So not too far from the area to come home for visits and such. We are going to start job hunting next winter and hubby will go down ahead of time to start work. Me-I'll stay here getting out home sold and seeing what jobs might be available for me-if worse comes to worse-I'll drive a school bus, but I have been dispatching in the office now for almost 4 years, I'd really prefer staying in that line.

SO fire away! Let me know where we should start calling to for a place for her. Excited that the time is drawing nearer for all of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:35 AM

No one has suggestions or where to call? I need to get her set up by March 15th. I don't know apartment complexes in the area as we've only been house hunting. Not sure where good student housing is.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:06 PM

161 posts, read 330,069 times
Do you mean Horry -Georgetown Tech in Conway? Unless she wants to live with the college kids that go to Coastal, it will be hard to find something in that price range. All the complexes in that area are geared towards those kids and are multi-bedroom units. How far is she willing to drive?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:38 AM

Yes, that's the school. She's going to have her car with her. She's making this a permanent move to the area. She's very familiar with MB-Surfside as we've been camping in the area since 98. So up to 20 miles from school is ok-that's about as far as our community college is now from our house.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:02 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
If she doesn't mind driving a little (probably 30 min with traffic), these might be good. Island Green is a nice, safe area.
$550 3rd fl. Studio
STUDIO UNFURNISHED, with w/d #4N

There are several apartment complexes near Coastal Carolina University which is next to Horry-Georgetown but their rents are above your budget. You might find something on Craigslist where several students are sharing a multi-bedroom apt. For example: ROOM FOR RENT $480 utilities and furniture included or Starting at $420 Per Bedroom

Most apartment complexes in safe areas even within 20 miles exceed your budget. Those that are in budget tend to be noisy and full of problems. For example, this one Canterbury Apartments - Myrtle Beach, SC 29579 | Apartments for Rent is within budget but I've heard lots of negative things and if you looks at reviews for it, they aren't very nice.

These apartments are pretty nice and in a good area but exceed your budget: River Oaks Apartments for Rent - Myrtle Beach, SC Apartments | Apartment Finder

Good luck with your search. If I can answer any more questions, please let me know.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 AM

Thanks CTyankee54-that's the information I was looking for. We'll have to up the idea of rent-ideally hoping that a studio won't break the bank. I will be checking on them today I've put a call into a Canterbury apartment complex. So we'll see how that is. She wants to live in a quiet area, not full of drugs and drama.

I guess if worse comes to worse, we can drag our camper down there and let her live in it at one of the campgrounds.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:52 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
Thanks CTyankee54-that's the information I was looking for. We'll have to up the idea of rent-ideally hoping that a studio won't break the bank. I will be checking on them today I've put a call into a Canterbury apartment complex. So we'll see how that is. She wants to live in a quiet area, not full of drugs and drama.

I guess if worse comes to worse, we can drag our camper down there and let her live in it at one of the campgrounds.
Except for the campsite will cost you more than a apartment. :P

Keep searching Craiglist, and local realtors. Good luck!!

Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
I would suggest looking at the Island Green listings. It's very quiet there and the drive is not that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area