Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,757 times

Advertisements

good info Golden. This winter was brutal all up and down the East coast. They are calling for possibility of some snow showers here in Jersey this afternoon...This is nuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Or Zillow is wrong. Or maybe they are adding in a special fire district tax or trash tax.

At any rate, the wrinkle with South Carolina taxes is that they are much higher if you own a place as a second home versus a primary home. Primary homes are taxed at 20% of assesment, while second homes are taxed at 50 or 60% (??) of assessment.

Sorry I can't contribute more about the golf clubs or the snob factor. I just wish we had looked a little more seriously at South Carolina before we retired. The temperature was in the single digits in Sneads Ferry NC a few days last winter, and we had outside pipes break. My DH said "we didn't move far enough south"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 09:50 AM

Very informative, thank you very much.. We are putting our home in Jersey on the market this weekend so still doing my research. I think the best thing to do is plan a 3 day trip to Pawley's to scope the area out to see if my wife likes it.
Had a frustrating weekend, had 3 realtors come in to get a feel what they thought the house should be put on the market for and the range they cam back with was a low of 500k and a high of 570k. Zillow says 550k.
Sometimes I wonder if the realtor who came in so low was because he wanted to price it to move in 2 weeks and little work for him to do. Thinking of listing it on Zillow as a FSBO for 550k just to see if I get any interest or not..

Very frustrating to say the least.....

Last edited by biscman; 03-31-2015 at 10:53 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 01:01 PM

10 posts, read 15,500 times
Had ours on the market last summer and saw the real and awful side of the real estate industry. We'll be re listing again next week and really did our homework to hopefully choose a realtor with integrity and one that has the seller's interest at heart and not their commission first!
Good luck with your listing.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the note Pawley's. After owning six houses over the past 35 years I am convinced Realtors only work for 1 party, themselves.... When one of the Realtors last weekend was trying to sell me on how much he would do for me I had to interrupt him and tell him to stop because at the end of the day they only work for themselves. He tried to banter with me but finally caved in and agreed with me.

They have a monopoly on the industry and will not show homes that are FSBO.. One of the Realtors wanted me to add a certain incentive to buying agent above the standard commission.....

Hopefully next house will be last one before I move into the Pine Box....

Old 04-01-2015, 06:58 PM

39 posts, read 54,386 times
I'm also a Jersey Guy looking to move South. My blog on this site involves finding our beloved Ocean City, NJ farther south along the coast. As far as marketing your home, consider executing an "Exclusive Listing" with a local broker for only a 3-4 month period rather than the usual 6. This type of listing allows you to market the home on your own while the broker places same on the local MLS & should you secure a buyer, pay no commission to the listing broker. I hope to try & sell our home myself informing all local brokers that I'll pay a 3.5% commission but hoping I'll eventually find my own buyer. I plan to advertise the home locally & also around the Cherry Hill & Philadelphia area using both print & on-line mediums. Regarding the value of your present home as is the case with most commodities, the market will tell you what it's worth. Make sure you have the best market data (similar homes that have recently sold-past 12 months or so) & construct your own idea of "value." Man Up! Don't blame the lowly Realtor. Do your own research or order an appraisal demanding at least (6) comparable sales. Pawley's has the ocean, SJP has a pond; the pond would be good for you.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 AM

The pond would be good for me?? What does that mean??
Doubt that many Realtors would take a "Exclusive LIsting' being it is extremely rare that the listing broker actually represents the ultimate buyer, especially once it goes on MLS. Why would thery go through the $ to market it on a gamble they would find the buyer. Commissions here are only %5 to .list home and you will pay 3.5% to co-broke?? Interesting financial model... just as a fyi, everyone has a different definition of comparables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppat View Post
I'm also a Jersey Guy looking to move South. My blog on this site involves finding our beloved Ocean City, NJ farther south along the coast. As far as marketing your home, consider executing an "Exclusive Listing" with a local broker for only a 3-4 month period rather than the usual 6. This type of listing allows you to market the home on your own while the broker places same on the local MLS & should you secure a buyer, pay no commission to the listing broker. I hope to try & sell our home myself informing all local brokers that I'll pay a 3.5% commission but hoping I'll eventually find my own buyer. I plan to advertise the home locally & also around the Cherry Hill & Philadelphia area using both print & on-line mediums. Regarding the value of your present home as is the case with most commodities, the market will tell you what it's worth. Make sure you have the best market data (similar homes that have recently sold-past 12 months or so) & construct your own idea of "value." Man Up! Don't blame the lowly Realtor. Do your own research or order an appraisal demanding at least (6) comparable sales. Pawley's has the ocean, SJP has a pond; the pond would be good for you.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:35 PM

39 posts, read 54,386 times
Hey, Mr. Wall Street, again, an "Exclusive Listing" as opposed to an "Exclusive Right to Sell" listing in the state of NJ allows the homeowner to not pay a commission should he find his own buyer. How much the real estate company spends on marketing said listing is up to them but since it's their listing should another real estate firm secure the buyer the listing broker would be paid his commission. And again, I would pay to a broker securing a buyer the aforementioned 3.5% commission as the selling broker. I'm marketing the home myself, thus no "listing" commission would be paid. FYI, comparable sales form the basis for conclusions as to market value estimates or ranges. Most people with half a brain can determine with honest & logical deduction, a general value range for their home. Give it a try. By-the-way, we're taking up a collection to pay what's commonly called our state's "Exit Tax" for you & yours so your relocation South can take place ASAP. I wish you luck.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM

96 posts, read 220,440 times
........... Figure I might as well be the first.
Ahhh bless your heart these are some great post.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:47 PM

Exit tax will not affect us as we will be taking a loss when we sell of about 130k. Spoke with one of the Realtors who visited us last weekend to tell him I was going to list FSBO. He understood and warned as soon as I list on Zillow to expect to receive a ton of calls from Realtors asking if I will co-broke. I said yes for 2.5% and he felt that split will work fine as most listings in Monmouth County run 5% to list.

Good luck in selling your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppat View Post
Hey, Mr. Wall Street, again, an "Exclusive Listing" as opposed to an "Exclusive Right to Sell" listing in the state of NJ allows the homeowner to not pay a commission should he find his own buyer. How much the real estate company spends on marketing said listing is up to them but since it's their listing should another real estate firm secure the buyer the listing broker would be paid his commission. And again, I would pay to a broker securing a buyer the aforementioned 3.5% commission as the selling broker. I'm marketing the home myself, thus no "listing" commission would be paid. FYI, comparable sales form the basis for conclusions as to market value estimates or ranges. Most people with half a brain can determine with honest & logical deduction, a general value range for their home. Give it a try. By-the-way, we're taking up a collection to pay what's commonly called our state's "Exit Tax" for you & yours so your relocation South can take place ASAP. I wish you luck.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:30 AM

174 posts, read 257,714 times
Thanks Pawleysbound for your thoughts on moving. We are leaving CT after 65 years and exploring the SC coast. We have casually looked, but are heading down this month for a more "serious" look. As you said, the decision making process is not easy and it is a very big decision for most of us. And you're right about having a positive, enthusiastic attitude when making such a move. We have to use our intellect, but we must use our heart too, to find what feels good to us. Wishing you luck with your new construction and a wonderful move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area