Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 03:18 PM

5 posts, read 6,420 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are both in our twenties and looking to move south. The Carolinas interest us. We specifically are looking to be near a VW dealer, as that is my boyfriends profession. Any feedback on Conway or Florence? What is the average rent? Is there a lot to do? How are the restaurants, etc!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:43 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,859 times
The only VW dealership in the Conway area is in Surfside which is near the beach...probably a 30-40 minute drive from Conway depending on traffic and where in Conway one lives.

As young people in your 20's, my advice would be to look in Greenville or Charleston where there's a bigger demographic in your age range and many more better paying jobs. Greenville, for example, has a BMW plant. I would imagine that VW skills would transfer to building BMWs pretty nicely. The Myrtle Beach/Conway area job market is very small for good paying jobs and very seasonal for many jobs. As far as rents...2 bedrooms start in around $700 and up depending on where the apartment is. Yes, there's lots to do as far as touristy type of activities. The question would be, are those the types of things you like to do? There are over 1500 restaurants in the Grand Strand so there are lots of choices.

Two pieces of advice...1. visit before deciding to move. The visit should focus on getting to know the area...not a vacation. 2. Secure a job BEFORE moving especially if you decide on the MB area. Jobs are hard to come by and just because you have great skills doesn't mean that there's a job waiting for those skills.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 6,420 times
That is great advice! Thank you for your feedback!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,049,888 times
I would discourage Florence, as it has next to nothing to do and very few restaurants. I used to live there but moved to Charleston 3 years ago. Florence is growing, but there's not a ton of industry or jobs. At least the MB area has the tourism industry, beaches, and plenty of things for 20somethings to do. Florence doesn't have a VW dealer but we do have one here in Mt. Pleasant.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 PM

309 posts, read 469,785 times
Check Florence out for yourself, it's not as bad as thr previous poster seems to portray. There are more culturally relevant things to do in Florence and there is a VW dealership it's call Mike Reichbach. Not a ton of industry? All there is on the coast is hospitality down there. You have Otis elevator, GE, Roche pharmaceuticals, Honda, Monster, and many more companies located in the Florence region.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,631 times
Just moved up here from Florida (Myrtle Beach/Conway). While gas is cheaper, everything else is more expensive.
Food is much more expensive. I know, I've been buying food for over 50 years, in Canada, Florida and SC. Bustelo 10oz coffee, Florida right around $2,00. $3.99 here, Costco doesn't even carry it. Beef is more, pork is more, forget about good selection of Atlantic fish or fresh looking fish. Grocery stores carry more than fish markets.
Fresh produce; many items are sold per each and not by the pound, so more expensive. many restaurants also charge quite a bit more for small portions or sandwiches, except sales on meals at national chains. Sales tax in restaurants or prepared foods is quite high (total 10% or more).
It rains all the time, and most nights are in the 40s, the summers can be in the 100s. The ground doesn't absorb rainwater, it is composed of sand and clay, so until you are used to it, you may have to be towed often.
Getting out of parking lots after shopping takes a lot of getting used to. Traffic can be heavier than in much larger cities.
This part of the state is still stuck in the 20th century. Narrow roads, no street lights, car license fees are very high. Incorporating a company is quite expensive, etc... etc...
The people are generally very friendly, very accommodating, which is pretty well the only plus.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:45 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,544,694 times
We spend time in Naples FL, Murrells Inlet SC and Lakewood NJ. We do a good deal of our food shopping at Costco in all three places. Other than Costco, we shop Lowes and Walmart in SC, Publix and Walmart in FL and Shoprite in NJ. I don't really see a major difference in the total cost of food and household supplies between any of the three. Liquor, wine and beer is a different story...... Although bargains can be found in all three locations.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:30 AM

45 posts, read 75,399 times
I moved to SC in Dec. I first lived in NMB-Windy Hill Neighborhood, now I live in Longs.

I loved living in NMB, lot's of places within walking distance, and was on the beach, awesome three months. You can find decent rent in Myrtle in the off season, but come March renters jack rent HIGH(like $595 a week + high). That's why I didn't stay. Good luck finding a place that is not a dump for $700 a month anywhere near Myrtle! I don't know what that person is talking about. Away from Myrtle, yes. You can get a good idea of rentals on craigslist.

For your age group, Myrtle has ALOT of stuff to do. Great places to eat, house of blues, lot's of bar's, etc. Check out weeklysurge.com for info. on that, it is the "grand strand's" news and entertainment guide.

I think the grocery prices do go up, when more tourists start to come out. I do not think they are that high during the off season. You need to shop around, so far I like Food Lion best.

The bulk of all jobs seems to be peaking now, and they are in NMB/MB.

It does not rain "all the time", but it does rain alot here. And the humidity get's very high. But, I moved here from Tucson Arizona, which is experiencing a heavy drought, so the cooler temps., rain, and even(for the most part)the humidity is welcome.

We have never had to be towed? lol so I don't know what that's about, unless someone doesn't pay attention to where they drive!? And stuck in the 20th century? That makes no sense. Tucson still has ALOT of dirt roads, and there was WAY worse flooding there than I have seen anywhere in SC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area