Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 02:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,645,140 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon everyone.

Our middle child just bought her first place. She's buying a mobile home off 707. She's also going to Georgetown Tech part time and working. Not bad for 23, she'd never have been able to do that here in upstate NY.

So, tell me a few things. Home owners insurance-who to contact and what should she have for coverage? Cable-who is the provider and what does it average there? Electric-that's being set up by the place she's buying it through. Car insurance-title and property tax on that. Is there a way to figure that out before she goes to change things over at DMV.

So give some places to check. She's got a month to get all her ducks in order before they close.

Round 1 done- we are next in fall of 2016! FINALLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 02:51 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Start here

Planning Your Move | Relocate Invest Retire | Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Old 09-05-2015, 07:39 AM

344 posts, read 726,295 times
Retire in MB has provided a great link. The electric company and cable/internet providers down here are often limited to a certain neighborhood. For example, my neighborhood has HTC only, where the next neighborhood has Time Warner only.

When going for a license and vehicle registration, make sure to take several forms of ID and proof of residence (ie., settlement papers, utility hookup paperwork, etc.) To register the car you must first go to the county tax office to pay personal property tax on the vehicle. This tax is capped at $300/ year and is calculated on book value of the car. If the car is fairly new it might be close to $300, but older it could be a bit less. In Myrtle Beach the county tax office and state DMV are practically accross the street from each other, on 21st Avenue. So licensing will cost whatever the taxes are (they will give you a receipt to take to DMV) plus license and registration which should in total be in the $50-60 range.
Hope this is helpful, best wishes to your daughter.

For what it's worth, my son got his associates degree from HGTC in Aviation Technology and really like going to school there.

Old 09-05-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
Retire in MB has provided a great link. The electric company and cable/internet providers down here are often limited to a certain neighborhood. For example, my neighborhood has HTC only, where the next neighborhood has Time Warner only.

When going for a license and vehicle registration, make sure to take several forms of ID and proof of residence (ie., settlement papers, utility hookup paperwork, etc.) To register the car you must first go to the county tax office to pay personal property tax on the vehicle. This tax is capped at $300/ year and is calculated on book value of the car. If the car is fairly new it might be close to $300, but older it could be a bit less. In Myrtle Beach the county tax office and state DMV are practically accross the street from each other, on 21st Avenue. So licensing will cost whatever the taxes are (they will give you a receipt to take to DMV) plus license and registration which should in total be in the $50-60 range.

For what it's worth, my son got his associates degree from HGTC in Aviation Technology and really like going to school there.
Good to know, she's going to be off 707 by Folly Road and that'll help her in terms of who she should be calling for the cable/internet.

She's going to be taking the title of the car that I am "selling" her to DMV. It's a 2004, so her taxes/registration shouldn't be too outlandish. Here in NY, it cost me for two years $145 to register her car. The drivers license here for 8 years is $80. So she'll be saving on that side again for sure in MB.

She'll have to find a insurance agent also I assume before going to DMV to show she's got insurance on the vehicle too correct? Hoping that's not through the roof. Here again the cost of that car with just liability on my policy is $875 a year. Since she's listed as the primary driver under 25-NY wacks you even under the parents policy. If she had it on her own here-it's $1500 a year-no accidents or tickets either. They don't call it the vampire state for nothing.

I've heard very good things about HGTC-she's meeting with them after she moves in to get enrolled for the winter sessions. We'd taken our youngest to Coastal, but alas, she wasn't sold on it after spending a week at Savannah College of Art. Her heart is there, but she can go a visit her sister easy enough if she goes to college in GA.

I appreciate all the help-it'll be useful for us too next fall.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:08 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,773 times
Quote:

I think that's the wrong info (though, I'm not 100% sure).
I thought the 300 cap is on new car purchases only. ie: You go out and splurge on a new Cadillac Escalade for 70K. instead of paying the normal 8% sales tax (as in NY) of $5600 or so....it is capped at $300.

Your yearly tax on your car goes on it's worth. So that tax might be around (guessing here) say 500 for the first year. Following year it will be less because of depreciation ...say 470, and so on, and so on. Like i said...that's what I was led to believe. I'm sure people who have been here longer, and have purchased new cars here can correct me, or agree with me.

Good luck with your daughters move.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 PM

344 posts, read 726,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
I think that's the wrong info (though, I'm not 100% sure).
I thought the 300 cap is on new car purchases only. ie: You go out and splurge on a new Cadillac Escalade for 70K. instead of paying the normal 8% sales tax (as in NY) of $5600 or so....it is capped at $300.

Your yearly tax on your car goes on it's worth. So that tax might be around (guessing here) say 500 for the first year. Following year it will be less because of depreciation ...say 470, and so on, and so on. Like i said...that's what I was led to believe. I'm sure people who have been here longer, and have purchased new cars here can correct me, or agree with me.

Good luck with your daughters move.
The yearly tax on vehicles can vary because tax rates for Personal Vehicle Property Tax vary slightly from county to county. Admitedly having never splurged on an Escalade, the first year after purchasing a 32K Chrysler van, the following year's tax was $289, and that included the state registration fee. Also, if you itemize deductions on your Federal return, the Personal Property Tax can be taken as a deduction.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The yearly tax on vehicles can vary because tax rates for Personal Vehicle Property Tax vary slightly from county to county. Admitedly having never splurged on an Escalade, the first year after purchasing a 32K Chrysler van, the following year's tax was $289, and that included the state registration fee. Also, if you itemize deductions on your Federal return, the Personal Property Tax can be taken as a deduction.
Well she drives a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. Can't say that's worth as much as a Escalade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area