Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 12:55 PM

7 posts, read 11,968 times

Advertisements

I was search ads and came across a listing that stated :

""[name removed] charges a $12,000 transfer fee for mobile homes. Think of this as the entry fee into the campground. While expensive, the good news is that you can sell the unit when you're ready without paying them part of the profit. Many campgrounds in Myrtle Beach take a cut of the sales profit; instead,[name removed] charges buyers on entry. Buyer is responsible for the $12,000 transfer fee to [name removed] in addition to the sales price.""

This was quoted from the ad and this is why I'm asking, I removed the name. I never heard of this practice where I live. I'm planning on buying as soon as a next year and learning everything I need to now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 03:39 PM

I should ask if this does apply to campgrounds does it apply to MHP as well?

Old 10-18-2015, 09:33 PM

9 posts, read 13,265 times
Not to my knowledge. The transfer fee like that, as i have seen, is when you move a new "home" into the campground (home being the camper itself). When you buy an existing camper in one of the campgrounds, all they care about is their yearly fee being paid. You buy the camper for $15,000 (example) and then you are on the hook for the yearly lease fee if it was not paid before you bought the camper.

Old 10-19-2015, 04:01 AM

I had seen the yearly lease fee, but nothing like this ad. The ad was for a mobile home in a campground. I been looking a ads for a permanent home both houses and manufactured homes and was hoping a 12k fee was not true just for a transfer fee.

Thanks

Old 10-19-2015, 11:38 AM

253 posts, read 470,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1031 View Post
I had seen the yearly lease fee, but nothing like this ad. The ad was for a mobile home in a campground. I been looking a ads for a permanent home both houses and manufactured homes and was hoping a 12k fee was not true just for a transfer fee.

I found the ad for Apache campground and it sounds like what you are discussing. This "transfer" fee sounds like a rip-off to me. The annual lease is within reason, I guess, though I would not pay that much just to lease land. Do you own the mobile home when you purchase it? I know you do not own the land.

The sales price is 72,000 and I believe the realtor fee here is 6% - do the math - the campground is charging a ridiculous fee - you'd be a lot better off paying a realtor and listing agent 6% rather than this 12k fee. Plus, if you use a realtor, I guess you would have to pay an additional amount - at least 3%.

Just my opinion...surely there are much better deals than this.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:02 PM

You are correct about the ad, from what I got from the listing you are buying the MH and it is on the leased lot. The part that was unreal was the statement about campgrounds charging a 12k seller fee from the person selling the MH and that the campground got part of the sales.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 AM

161 posts, read 330,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
I found the ad for Apache campground and it sounds like what you are discussing. This "transfer" fee sounds like a rip-off to me. The annual lease is within reason, I guess, though I would not pay that much just to lease land. Do you own the mobile home when you purchase it? I know you do not own the land.

The sales price is 72,000 and I believe the realtor fee here is 6% - do the math - the campground is charging a ridiculous fee - you'd be a lot better off paying a realtor and listing agent 6% rather than this 12k fee. Plus, if you use a realtor, I guess you would have to pay an additional amount - at least 3%.

Just my opinion...surely there are much better deals than this.

In real estate deals the seller pays the commission to the realtor not the buyer. So using a realtor costs the buyer nothing.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:05 AM

253 posts, read 470,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KavH View Post
In real estate deals the seller pays the commission to the realtor not the buyer. So using a realtor costs the buyer nothing.
Smack my head! I know that...not sure what I was thinking. But in that case, paying that 12,000 fee is completely ridiculous since if I understand correctly, the buyer pays that. Crazy.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1031 View Post
I should ask if this does apply to campgrounds does it apply to MHP as well?
I doubt very much that a year-round MHP would charge that high a fee. There simply is not that much demand for used mobile homes away from the oceanfront.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: