Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,129 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Myrtle Beach area this July. I am 16 years old and from what it sounds like I should find a job easily, but what I'm worried about is my dad. He has worked in telemarketing and has worked in numerous car dealerships and currently works at Nissan here in TN. Do you think he'd be able to find a job dealing with car dealerships in the area? Help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,804 times
So, the post about there being no future in education is way off base from my own personal experience. I was from NC making 34,000 a year as a teacher. That salary jumped to 47,600 when I moved to Horry County. If you get your National Boards, SC gives a $7,500 annual bonus and then Horry adds an additonal $3,000 to that. However, in other career fields I can absolutely agree that the salaries are low. My husband still has to work across the state line in NC (Brunswick County) to make a decent wage.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,374 times
I want to move out of Nashville by July and want to move to Myrtle Beach if possible. I am stay at home mom of a 5 and 7 yr old. My husband is in the IT field working as a computer programmer. Do you think he could find a job there? Or where else in SC not too far from the beach?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,455,501 times
Devo were in a similar boat, I'm a teacher and husband is an estimator and we are ready to get out of NY. My grandparents live in Loris so we come and visit every couple of years. For some reason I really like myrtle. The cost of living is substantially lower than what we pay up here, especially for groceries. And so far this year we've had many many days with temps below zero, -20f has been common. I loathe temps below 50f. 8 years until by daughter graduates and we are going somewhere warmer and with less taxes.

Good to know about the national boards, I will have to look into that.

And yes I have embraced the tacky, the tacky makes me smile.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM

11,936 posts, read 12,995,769 times
Myrtle Beach is the kind of place that if you work hard, you will eventually work your way into a good paying job.

It all depends on how bad you want it. As far as teaching goes, it is a little 'who you know' as far as getting jobs but once you start subbing and they get to know you, you'll eventually get a full time teaching job.

Good luck!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,008 times
I believe I may want to move to myrtle beach, currently living in indianapolis and am just tired of the winter, republican Midwest values, the violence, just to name a few also the public transit sucks, etc... So what would I find in myrtle beach? Visited a couple of times a few years back, bout 10 yrs, but it seems to have grown and modernized...all feed back appreciated. Ucicu2indy

Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,592 times
I have lived here for 3 years now and if you are young and going to school do it. I am 37 and I regret it massively. I worked at Johns Hopkins for 13 years and cannot find a healthcare job here to save my life. When locals get a good job, they hold onto it. So unless you want to be a stripper or waiter, find a better area.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:25 AM

234 posts, read 326,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterBean View Post
I have lived here for 3 years now and if you are young and going to school do it. I am 37 and I regret it massively. I worked at Johns Hopkins for 13 years and cannot find a healthcare job here to save my life. When locals get a good job, they hold onto it. So unless you want to be a stripper or waiter, find a better area.
But there are so many hospitals/clinics here in MB, and healthcare workers are always in demand.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:21 PM

161 posts, read 327,872 times
I thought the same Juliatenn - I always see ads for health care workers - and everyone I know found jobs right away in that field here. ( when they couldn't find them up north)

Old 11-18-2014, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,592 times
Oh the ads are there. Plenty of them. But they never ever call
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area