Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 07:46 AM

81 posts, read 134,574 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been planning a trip to MB to look at the area for retirement. We usually fly Southwest out of Baltimore, but it appears SW doesn't fly into MB. Spirit does but only on ceretain days.
American & Delta fly out of Dulles but all flights have a layover somewhere. Anyone have experience flying from the Baltimore area to MB??? Southwest does have flights into Charleston which looks to be about 2 hour drive from MB, would that be correct? We could drive which I think would be 8 -9 hours from frederick MD. Anyway, assistance from this knowledgable forum would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 AM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
Charleston is a 2 hour drive from the airport to MB. If you are arriving/departing anytime around 5pm, you should plan on 3 hours due to traffic. I, personally, would drive from Frederick rather than fly. You'll spend at least 5 hours of your time flying, waiting in the airport, driving from Charleston plus you'll have the expense of a rental car. The additional 3 hours (assuming flights are on time) to drive would be worth the time/expense IMHO.

As far as a layover somewhere...that's the reality of flying to MB. It's a small airport and you usually have to go someone else to get here. Charlotte is a nice airport and not hard to get from one place to another. I've traveled through there many times and is probably where you'd have to travel through. You can also fly to Charlotte and drive from there but it's a 4 hour drive...again...not worth the effort.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:17 AM

16 posts, read 17,291 times
We fly in/out of Wilmington, NC if we're headed up north or Vegas. It's an hour drive from NMB and usually has better prices, BUT all flights lead to Charlotte.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:42 AM

Good point about the wait time at airports. Looks like driving is the best option, thanks for the input.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:58 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
The first time we vacationed in Myrtle Beach we flew from Atlantic City to MB and rented a car. But after that we chose to drive from NJ (11 hours with pit stops). Now that we have a home here (and one in NJ) we make the drive 2 or 3 times a year. Much more convenient than flying IMHO.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 AM

161 posts, read 329,906 times
orhs66 - we moved here from Frederick!

When ever anyone flew here from Baltimore, we always chose Spirit cause we are CHEAP and it was the only direct flight. As the weather warms, the flights are every day , not just a few a week. Not sure when that starts though.
The drive is not bad, we used to do it 4 times a year and could go door to door from Frederick in 8 hours , sometimes less, depending on how much you stop and how you time getting around DC.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:17 PM

Yes, from the Baltimore-Washington Parkway through Quantico is alway the iffy/worst part of the drive. After that it is cake traffic wise.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Yes, from the Baltimore-Washington Parkway through Quantico is alway the iffy/worst part of the drive. After that it is cake traffic wise.
So very true tmozer......my wife and I are both from NJ.....south Jersey area..Clementon & Lindenwold. Go back a couple times a year to see kids and grandkids.....

Old 02-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orhs66 View Post
So very true tmozer......my wife and I are both from NJ.....south Jersey area..Clementon & Lindenwold. Go back a couple times a year to see kids and grandkids.....
I had an apartment in Lindenwold before we bought a house in Medford Lakes. Grew up in Cherry Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area