Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 40,664 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was just wondering if you all could tell me a little bit about the schools in the Conway/Myrtle Beach area. I have a 1st grader and a 4th grader that I would be looking to place. Here's my situation. I'm scared to put them in public school. We are in Idaho and the education in this state is the lowest in the country. That being said, they are in a Charter school here that is amazing. It is academically above many schools. My kids are flourishing. That being said, we're dying here. We hate the cold, we don't feel like we fit in, we need a fresh start. The only thing stopping me is changing schools for them.

I've looked online and it looks like there are 5 charter schools in the area? Anyone have experience with any of them? How hard is it to get in? Also I'd like input on the public schools in the area in case we can't get into a charter school. Our school really stresses good character and is extremely anti-bullying so I would want a school that has similar desires for their students.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 01:24 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
You are not being ignored. We may not know enough to advise you in your search, or are yet to address your questions.

Questions
  • What is the charter school your children currently attend like in regards to academics and extracurricular activities?
  • What Horry County charter schools have you checked out?

Old 03-15-2016, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,114 times
The highest rated public schools in Myrtle Beach are Lakewood Elementary, Forestbrook Middle and Socastee High. You can check out public school ratings on the state education website or horrycountyschools.net. I don't have any experience with the charter schools. Many of them are relatively new.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:13 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
One resource regarding school quality in Horry County is here: http://www.horrycountyschools.net/fi...ortJan2016.pdf

Regarding charter schools and general information regarding Horry County Schools, you should explore the HCS web site: http://www.horrycountyschools.net/pa...County_Schools

My understanding is the HCS are, generally, pretty good. But, I have no direct experience as my kids are grown.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,566 times
I don't have much advice, only comments. We are moving to the area in a few months and only have a baby, but schools are definitely a concern for me long term. My aunt and uncle used to live in the area and had kids in the Carolina Forest district. While it is supposedly "one of the best," they were supremely unhappy with the level of education as well as the control over bullying and acting up. This was one of the main reasons they accepted a job transfer several states away. I'm from the DC area (with ridiculously good public schools... in the suburbs, not DC) so I am definitely concerned about the options for our son once he becomes school-age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area