Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 08:49 PM

24 posts, read 113,769 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to SC in August, and hopefully start college somewhere down there. I'm graduating June 2008. I'm 18, I absolutely LOVE Myrtle Beach. (I currently reside in Virginia). I'm just trying to figure out WHERE?! I'm sure ya'll have heard this plenty of times, but my situation is a little different, as I am just beginning life on my own, rather than retiring.

I was thinking Horry County since it's so close to N Myrtle Beach. I looked up colleges in Horry County & I only found 2 public colleges (CCU & HGTC) & both are mainly around Conway. Then I was thinking maybe Georgetown. But these towns seem small to me...not appealing. They're all historical looking, borring, blah blah. I don't want to live in a huge city, but the suburbs or something,definately not a small town. It'd be nice if there were big malls, plenty of nightlife & activities, salons, etc. What's life like there & what would be the best place for me?

I'm trying to find a decent college, as well as a good location, and something that isn't more than an hour away from the beach. Can you guys please help me??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
If you plan on Myrtle Beach then CCU & HGTC are your only options for college. Both are decent schools & offer different courses of study. So, you need to decide what you want to do with your life & then choose the school. If you are undecided then you can start at HGTC and shift to CCU later. Charleston has many more options for college & has the nightlife you are looking for but it is obviously more expensive too. You also have to show residence in the state for at least a year before you are eligible for in-state tuition programs.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:51 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,946 times
College of Charleston has a BEAUTIFUL campus. You need to start applying ASAP to make the Fall deadline.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM

24 posts, read 113,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
If you plan on Myrtle Beach then CCU & HGTC are your only options for college. Both are decent schools & offer different courses of study. So, you need to decide what you want to do with your life & then choose the school. If you are undecided then you can start at HGTC and shift to CCU later. Charleston has many more options for college & has the nightlife you are looking for but it is obviously more expensive too. You also have to show residence in the state for at least a year before you are eligible for in-state tuition programs.

well, i spoke with a financial advisor at HGTC...& he said that i just needed to submit financial aid forms & it would be easy to get. i will look into charleston, although i wanted to live close to the beach as well..

Old 03-02-2008, 12:18 AM

7 posts, read 15,357 times
To get the lifestyle, go to Myrtle Beach Vacation Guides and South Carolina Travel Spots, Hotels and Resorts - Myrtle Beach Area Convention and Visitors Bureau. The colleges are great and many housing opportunities close by. Coastal Grand Mall is new and has all the cool stores that your age group loves. And Tanger Outlet is right across from the colleges. You are thinking right and I know that you will love it in Myrtle Beach. Sooo much to do and the people are great.
Beth

Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 61,514 times
My daughter goes to CCU and loves it. She moved from the Boston area and knew no one at the school but made loads of friends. She also loves the beach and she and her friends frequent Myrtle Beach. It takes her about 20 minutes to drive there from her house in Conway. She said that summers are great - good places to party and lots of activity.During the school year she goes to Broadway on the Beach a lot. My son graduated from College of Charleston and loved it there also. C of C is much more selective than CCU especially if you're from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area