U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 AM

42 posts, read 76,717 times

Advertisements

Hi there Myrtle Beach experts!!!

My boyfriend is coming home from his deployment this spring and I'm SO excited! He will be getting out of the military this fall and we have settled on Myrtle Beach for our future home.

My dream is an oceanfront condo - and our budget of 120k appears to accommodate that (we will be paying cash, no mortgage). However, HOA is crazy high. Can anyone speak to this? With insurance and everything else, are we going to be spending over 700 a month in overhead after paying for the condo in cash? Has anyone owned an oceanfront vacation rental before? Worth it? Not worth it?

We do have two dogs so my boyfriend is more inclined to look at single family homes that are more inland. I obviously see the benefit but am not in love with this idea. I've lived in cold, dreary Seattle my whole life so the oceanfront living is MY DREAM! Plus, I work in the fitness industry so having a gym onsite to train clients out of (if the HOA will let me) would be great! The closer I am to downtown, I feel, the better.

However, are there other areas we should be looking in? He's going to be going to Horry Georgetown technical college for culinary school. I'm self employed so I'm home a lot, hence why I want to be within walking distance of as many things as possible.

I look forward to hearing all your feedback!

We are 27/28 (soon to be 28/29) single (soon to be married if I had to put money on it) and very active!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 01:07 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,175,725 times
Personally for me living in a vacation rental condo as my permanent home would be a nightmare. A different set of neighbors every week. They will be there to have fun and party. Your dogs will need to take a slow elevator crowded with people every time they need to go out. they will not be concerned with the upkeep of the property.
Take a look at Seagate as a viable alternative. Duplex condos, HOA less then $250 a month, great location, golf cart to the beach, stores and restaurants. Great dog park nearby. Close to HTC.
Here's an current listing
733 Walnut Ave # 733, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 | MLS #1624197 | Zillow

Old 01-10-2017, 03:35 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,289,936 times
Having rented many ocean front condos over the years in MB I can attest to Retire in MB concerns. The condos take a beating, renters run out in the AM and reserve lounge chairs (with towels) for the day, kids ride the elevators making them as slow as molasses. It is fine for a week but I could not do it for the long term.

All of the condos we have ever rented require users of the amenities to be either owners or renters. It is a good idea to check that out prior to purchase.

Old 01-11-2017, 07:04 AM

1,017 posts, read 2,474,629 times
HOA fees pay for the cost of keeping up the building and vary on what amenities, utilities and other things they include. Some include building insurance, but if they don't you will have to pay your share on top of the HOA. The more amenities the higher the cost (and vise versa). Also, keep in mind if there is anything that needs to be done to the building (roof, pool breaks down, decking around pool needs to be replaced etc) and they don't have a reserve to do those things, the owners of the condos will have to pay for those cost separately as well, a special assessment. I can certainly see why you would want to live there, just keep in mind the costs that are or could be involved in that.

The dogs could be a tough hurdle. You (or your realtor) would have to do a lot of research to find a place that might allow them. I know of a couple high rises in Garden City that allow you to have a pet (I don't know about 2) if you are the owner of the unit, but that would be something you will want to check out very carefully.

Old 01-16-2017, 06:08 AM

20 posts, read 12,216 times
If you are young and active MB is not where you want to be. Absolutely ZERO diversity, concerts / music, Art, Theater etc. Even te food is bad, unless you like pork and fried everything. You would think the seafood would be decent but it too is way below average. They think a Taco joint is ethnic food here. Geocery stores carry nothing but pork pork and pork. There is absolutely nothing to do here unless you're a retired person or a square. Concerts avoid SC unless its gospel or twang. The House of Blues books 'tribute' bands and thats as close as you will get to a real concert. No pro sports at all and trying to enjoy the beach here after May 1 is an absolute joke. If you can see through the umbrellas at Surfside or side step your way to the water in MB you're lucky. The crowds are absurd, dirty and redneck. Now the biggie CRIME is off the charts. I happen to date a SLED agent and she will tell you that it is protocol to keep the crime on the down low so it doesnt hurt tourism.I have been here 2 1/2 years and been ripped off 3 times, my truck, my motorcycle and a landlord who was a thief. I'm just being straight and honest with you about this town. Many are going to tell you how wrong I am but use your computer and little by little it will expose this over rated redneck town

Old 01-17-2017, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,374 times
While every location can have crime issues, take what Eddy61 says with a grain of salt. He probably couldn't live anywhere and be happy. I'm confused as to why he does live here actually. That being said, it is a tourist destination so it will be hectic and you need to take that into account. Also, the area is growing with a lot of homes being built so traffic is only getting worse... If you realize a condo is a prime rental property and if it's close to the beach you will have to take that very seriously into account. Why not just rent a condo for a month or two to make sure you will like it and then buy? That would be my recommendation.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:56 AM

42 posts, read 76,717 times
Thanks Cme4oil. Honestly, I live in one of the highest crime suburbs of Seattle - I would consider myself a square as I do not drink, I don't go out to bars, I find my fun in nature and the gym! That's why I'm looking to live somewhere where the climate is a bit more conducive to an outdoor lifestyle with a cheaper cost of living. Plus, those property taxes are sexyyyyyy! haha

After reading everyones responses, I think we've settled on a single family home more inland. You just get so much more for your money that way and if we decide to rent it out, a traditional single family home renter would be a lot easier on it than a vacation renter.

I'm super excited for our move!!! Sounds like I need to train these South Carolina folks how to make healthy food taste good!!!!!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,175,725 times
You will find plenty of healthy food here. Fresh Market, Bay Naturals and Kindbelly to name a few.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 PM

5,182 posts, read 13,272,659 times
Actually, North Myrtle Beach is a GREAT music scene! Lots of fun, if you like to dance! And no.."tribute" bands is NOT all there is! Lordy!

Condo fees are costly..and they tend to rise yearly, as the property gets older and needs more maintenance.....it covers landscaping, pools, repairs to the OUTSIDE of building, sometimes services, like trash, cable tv, water.....but never electricity!

I do agree that most ocean front condos are mainly rental units....some do live in them, but you will have different neighbors weekly, and folks renting don't treat the place "like their own"...so that's a total aggravation right there!

You don't HAVE to go too far inland...but you will get more "bang" for your buck!

Old 02-02-2017, 04:22 AM

20 posts, read 12,216 times
I am 100% accurate i n everything I posted and am 2 months from leaving this redneck town. In one week alone 2 armed robberies in SS and GC, an armed fugitive on the run tries to enter a home in Southbridge on and on. Music scene in Myrtle beach ?? lol Where what ? This town blows
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area