Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 50,948 times

Advertisements

We are actively looking to retire in South Carolina. We are looking in the Little River, Longs etc area which is northern SC. We also will explore other areas closer to Myrtle Beach/Conway area. Our biggest concern is flooding and want to avoid areas that are more apt to flood... I suppose higher elevation towns. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 09:34 AM

285 posts, read 638,823 times
Longs is flat and flood prone with Buck Creek and Waccamaw Rivers nearby. I'd personally avoid that area if flooding is a concern.

Little River can be tricky. There are some high spots that stay dry and some low spots that can flood, even in the same community like River Hills.

The best communities that very resilient to flooding during heavy prolonged rain events are Barefoot Resort, Palmetto Harbour, Grande Dunes, and Pine Lakes. I'm sure there are others too.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:48 AM

25 posts, read 59,049 times
You can get FEMA maps here.
FEMA Flood Map Service Center
https://msc.fema.gov/portal
But this may be a bit tedious since there are many maps to choose from in the area, and the maps may be a bit dated. They may not include the flooding that occurred in 2015 and with Hurricane Matthew in 2016.

A easier choice might be to go to:
Horry County Government - Home
GIS Application (GIS Application)
Choose "I understand"
In the legend to the left on the map click "Flood Zones"
Navigate to the area you are interested in.
I am not sure of the dates for these maps.

The Horry county web site used to have a link to the preliminary flood maps as a result of the flood in 2015, but that link is no longer available.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:25 AM

Thank you Leetchy2 & Heading_Home,
I appreciate you taking the time to respond with your suggestions and advice. I'll check out the areas suggested and the Horry County Gvmt link to see what info it offers.
Thanks again,
kk

Old 02-04-2017, 09:57 AM

33 posts, read 72,028 times
GIS Application | Horry County Government Copy & paste or just click on it, this should bring you right to the proposed flood zones. (The proposed are the updated maps. Good luck & have fun hunting!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
The best communities that very resilient to flooding during heavy prolonged rain events are Barefoot Resort, Palmetto Harbour, Grande Dunes, and Pine Lakes. I'm sure there are others too.
What counties are those areas you mentioned in? Still in Horry County?

Old 02-04-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heading_Home View Post
A easier choice might be to go to:
Horry County Government - Home
GIS Application (GIS Application)
Choose "I understand"
In the legend to the left on the map click "Flood Zones"
Navigate to the area you are interested in.
I am not sure of the dates for these maps.

The Horry county web site used to have a link to the preliminary flood maps as a result of the flood in 2015, but that link is no longer available.
It would be nice if all of the counties had a GIS Application map. I can't fine one for other counties.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM

285 posts, read 638,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkathyknox View Post
What counties are those areas you mentioned in? Still in Horry County?
Those are all in Horry County in either Myrtle Beach or North Myrtle Beach.

FWIW, I looked at the flood maps and while they are a good general guide, I can tell you that you'll need to dig deeper as there are selected individual lots in a couple communities that I know will flood but are not indicated as flood prone on the maps. On the other hand I know there are some lots that will never flood but are right next to the flood line.

So my advice would be to use the maps as a guide, but then once you select your community pick out lots that sit up a bit higher than the rest of the surrounding lots. Also, if you see a community where the homes are on stilts, chances are that is a flood-prone community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area