Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:25 AM

39 posts, read 54,386 times

Advertisements

Hope to make the move to the apartments over the stores in the Downtown Section of The Market Common around 6/1/17. Received a quote from a large long-distance moving company for our 2 bedroom apartment of 6K-I don't think so! I understand you can rent a truck (one-way & driving yourself or hire a driver) and hire local folks at both the start & stop locations to load/unload the truck. Does anyone have any experience with such a move? Any info regarding your move would be much appreciated. Also, any feedback relative to living in the Downtown Section of TMC would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 09:14 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
Get multiple quotes from movers. Also they have those pods where you load the pod, they drive it, and drop it off, then you unload. But, like I said, get multiple quotes.

I used Atlas , and they moved me from Long Island to here, and it was about 1/3 of your quote. It was only 3 years ago, so i doubt the prices have skyrocketed that much.

Old 03-04-2017, 09:45 AM

Just received an estimate from Atlas-$5,300.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
Dang....are you moving steel beams, and boulders?? We got rid (sold, gave away) most of our furniture before we moved here. I know we kept our bedroom set only. We purchased a new living room set, dining room, 2 kids bedroom sets, outdoor furniture, and bbq here. Maybe that's why I was so cheap in cost. Though, we still had a lot of boxes & bins. I also made a few trips with my suv fully loaded with breakables, tvs, valuables, and a crapload of clothes.

Keep getting those quotes...

Did you get a quote from "two guys and a truck"? I hear they're good , with good prices.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:45 AM

I can rent a truck for around $800. There are folks who will load the truck here in Linwood, I'll drive it to TMC and hire a crew to unload & move it into our apartment or townhouse. Looking for feedback relative to a similar moving experience. Thanks for the comments & suggestions so far.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
We did exactly what you are asking about when we moved here. As long as you're comfortable driving the truck, it's really pretty painless as long as you have someone else do the heavy lifting. We used Fairway Moving here in MB to do the unloading. We were very pleased. Two other family members have use them as well when they moved with good results. The owner is a little short...not unpleasant...just not real chatty. But, they are insured (which you want to make sure the guys on the loading end are as well). Also, make sure they are insured against damage. One place I called assured me he was insured but when I asked what happened if the damaged something, he then told me his insurance was on his truck....not on his business. Needless to say, he didn't get my business.

The only things we had to be careful of with the truck was making sure we didn't get too low on gas (it was a diesel truck and not all stations carry diesel), making sure the overhang on the pumps were high enough for the truck height and paying through the nose at toll stations (they charge trucks extra). Oh, and depending on the size of the truck, we were supposed to stop at all weigh stations but most of the time they just waived us through when we pulled up to the scales. I eventually just started skipping them. If you've never driven a bigger truck, just make sure you start braking early...takes longer to stop. And also, make sure whoever you get to load it knows what they are doing and ties everything off right or you'll have a mess and broken stuff when you arrive at your destination. Finally, take the insurance that the rental company offers....your car insurance policy will not cover a rental truck (even if it says it covers rental cars). Most credit cards that cover you for rental cars also do not cover rental trucks. And make sure that all the scratches/dings are documented before you take possession of the truck...people treat them pretty rough and you don't want to be blamed for someone the scratches caused by someone else when they scraped tree branches.

I've used Budget and Uhaul trucks and I find the Uhaul ones to be slightly better.

If you have any questions I haven't covered...ask away.

Good luck with your move and MC. I don't think I could live in the downtown area...too much activity and noise for my taste, but I grew up in the country and suburbs so that influences my preferences.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:03 AM

Great feedback CT, thank you. Can you supply any cost estimates?

Old 03-05-2017, 11:08 AM

174 posts, read 257,688 times
We moved from CT (Fairfield County) to the Market Common area in January. We used William B. Meyer (United Van Lines) out of Stratford, CT. Excellent communication, service and fair pricing. Check them out.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
It cost us $300 on each end for loading and unloading. With the cost of the truck, insurance, fuel, tolls, etc., I think we ended up well under $2000 for everything.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:07 PM

Thanks CTankee54. That's the exact type of info we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: