U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM

35 posts, read 27,282 times

Advertisements

My husband and I, along with our two young children are relocating to either NC or SC by summer of next year. We have lived in NC before so we are a bit more familiar with the coastal areas. I have gone to SC for many years but stayed in the Myrtle and Pawley's areas, as well as a quick day-visit to Charleston. We are planning on taking a vacation within a few months in order to visit areas and pick where we would like to move to. We are definitely planning on renting once we get to the location. Within a year or so, we would like to buy a nice piece of land and have a home brought to the location. We would be getting a loan through the VA and our budget for land and home would be in the $150k range. We lived in coastal NC so we would love to be within driving distance of a beach, but not SO close that we are in flood zones. We got spoiled being only 20 mins away from two beaches..But I would say within an hour is reasonable. The beach absolutely doesn't need to be Myrtle (it gets way too busy), but any beach would be great...a nice little pier or boardwalk is a plus. We love the old-town feeling, with farms and where our neighbor isn't on top of our house. I'd like an area where I can have some livestock like chickens and goats. A good school system is a must, as well as a SAFE area. If anyone has any suggestions, please share them! I'd like to round up a list soon and take a visit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 03:31 PM

623 posts, read 1,131,772 times
I suggest you take a look at Conway, Aynor, and Little River. From any of these, you can access North Myrtle Beach or Cherry Gove pretty easily via Rt 22.

Old 03-05-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
I suggest you take a look at Conway, Aynor, and Little River. From any of these, you can access North Myrtle Beach or Cherry Gove pretty easily via Rt 22.

Thank you! I looked into Conway and the area looks beautiful. Are there any other towns you suggest? It doesn't need to be by Myrtle, i would love to see other beaches.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:11 PM

711 posts, read 584,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxobellavida View Post
Thank you! I looked into Conway and the area looks beautiful. Are there any other towns you suggest? It doesn't need to be by Myrtle, i would love to see other beaches.
We are thinking about relocating from Charleston either to Conway or Little River. it depends on the $$ for the best offer.

Old 03-05-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb29456 View Post
We are thinking about relocating from Charleston either to Conway or Little River. it depends on the $$ for the best offer.
I loved the charm that Charleston has! I wish I stayed there longer.

Old 03-05-2017, 06:24 PM

623 posts, read 1,131,772 times
If you want to consider further south, we love a little town near Charleston called Summerville. When we were deciding where to move, we felt Summerville was too far from the beach for us but is within your parameters so you might want to consider it as well.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
If you want to consider further south, we love a little town near Charleston called Summerville. When we were deciding where to move, we felt Summerville was too far from the beach for us but is within your parameters so you might want to consider it as well.
I actually looked into Summerville! I was a bit surprised by the amount of burglaries that were reported there..it looked like a nice town.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 9,749 times
Little River and Longs are 2 of my favorite areas.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrindstaff View Post
Little River and Longs are 2 of my favorite areas.
I've never heard of them, so thank you so much for the suggestions!

Old 03-17-2017, 04:26 PM

276 posts, read 463,037 times
If you are concerned about floods then be careful about where you choose in Longs. With Buck creek and Waccamaw rivers much of Longs is quite flood prone. Little River is a nice area with more terrain changes. Avoid the low-lying spots and choose a lot/home that sits a little higher than the others and you'll be fine.

Regarding flooding, common perception is the closer to the ocean the more flood prone. But that's true only for floods enhanced by the storm surge in hurricanes. In pure rain events flooding can be just as much of a problem far inland as along the immediate coast. In Hurricane Matthew flooding was extensive as far west as Lumberton & Conway.

In addition to Little River you may also want to check out Calabash, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or