U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM

78 posts, read 39,537 times

Advertisements

I visited myrtle beach last year for 3 days and was very impressed. I took a boat trip to find sea shells and it was great. think it was captain rons. Was wondering bout any plantations are there any suggestions on these. also any good antiques shops Went to a neat chicken place called clucky chicken different place.cant afford to many buffets but I know there are places that are good that I didn't see in my 3 days. I kind of chickened out riding the big ferris wheel. have a fear of heights.any good shopping places to hit .thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 08:29 PM

957 posts, read 1,308,348 times
Well highwayguy, you need to learn patience when visiting boards like this because the folks who can help you may not be looking at the boards everyday....I only look on occasion myself and I suspect that many posters are not daily readers. It goes in fits and spells....
I happen to know a little something about the plantations- did you have any particular ones in mind, or do you just want a general overview of them? And how far from MB are you willing to travel to visit one?
There are a couple of publications about flea markets and antique stores in this area- if you google either of those topics you will get several hits.
Specific to MB, we have enjoyed visiting "Vintiques" on Hwy 17 bypass and there is also a place on HWY 17 business next to the Teacher Supply store which is pretty good....I think its called Fox and Hound antiques, or something like that
Are you planning to return for another visit any time soon? Special events may influence answers

Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 AM

Hi Thank you for what you wrote. I'm kind of new to posting but good advice you gave me on waiting. I would like to return in September. After labor day.. I will look up what you told me.and I thank you again for your nice reply.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:20 PM

957 posts, read 1,308,348 times
There is a learning curve to everything, patience is a virtue, you know!
You did not mention any more about the plantations, but its not hard to find out about them. The ones that are open to the public usually have specific dates and times for tours, but if you go as far as Charleston to see the plantations they are operated as businesses and have different schedules.
Around here, you can visit Brookgreen Gardens and once inside take the additional tour that goes to the Oaks plantation which is on site.( I think the cost is an extra $8) I have heard its a nice adventure, but have not done it myself.
A bit further south, almost to Georgetown, is Hobcaw Barony, the home of Bernard Baruch and later, his daughter Belle. On that property is an area known as Friendfield, which was actually a plantation at one time. There is another area called Friendfield Village, which is where the slave cabins have been preserved, but that is not the same as Friendfield and often confuses folks. At one time, it was possible to take a tour out to Friendfield, but I don't know if that continues- they change programming out there and I've not been in about a year.
North of Georgetown is a place called Plantersville which has several old plantations, but I was told that they are privately owned and not open to public visits.
Further south on Hwy 17, just before you get to the Santee River, is Hopsewee Plantation, and that is open to the public. They give tours and offer an afternoon "tea".
Those are the closest that I have knowledge of, but if you want to know more, do a computer search for Plantations of Horry and Georgetown counties in South Carolina. In many instances there is no longer any structure on the properties, and you'd never pick the place out as an old plantation, but do a search and see what you find.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:59 PM

Thank you busy. What a wonderful reply and your right it was worth the wait. LOl I will look these up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area