U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2008, 03:46 PM

88 posts, read 262,591 times

Advertisements

Ok this is primarily for those living on the coast in Horry County. When is the last time you saw snowflakes fall there?

When is the last time you saw an accumulation of 1" or greater there?

What is the biggest snowfall you have seen there?

How often do you see snowflakes at all? Once a year? Once every 2-3 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 06:47 PM

13,315 posts, read 13,938,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop5300 View Post
Ok this is primarily for those living on the coast in Horry County. When is the last time you saw snowflakes fall there?

When is the last time you saw an accumulation of 1" or greater there?

What is the biggest snowfall you have seen there?

How often do you see snowflakes at all? Once a year? Once every 2-3 years?
Ok well I have lived on the coast every winter for about 5 winters.......so I'll start anyhow.......LOL
There was no snow on the coast this year.......( Surfside, on ocean)
I don't remember a snow last year either.
There was one of a bit over one inch 5 years ago, and it melted in one day.
Someone, somehow made a snowman and carted him around in the back of a truck honking the truck horn.........big party over having snow.( Cherry Grove at ocean)
I slightly remember a coating in 2002 in Jan.
lI am sure there are a few flakes every so many years........nothing to write home about.
It averages 50 in the daytime winter days up to 70's, even high 70's during the winter months. ( Jan-March) Already this March some have ventured into the ocean.....but the water is chilling cold. We sometimes do go in before we head home in April. This when its almost 80 or more, and getting hot.
Hope this helps........

Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 PM

543 posts, read 1,600,336 times
The biggest snow fall that I can remember was either in 1988 or 1989. (I cant remember which year) Other than that, I think there was one year when there was a little snow.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:34 PM

1,693 posts, read 6,127,118 times
I still hear folks reminiscing about that storm in 1989. They say it was 8-9 inches here along the Georgetown coast and shut the area down... until it melted the next day!

No snow here the last two winters, a little sleet one night last month.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:32 PM

543 posts, read 1,600,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I still hear folks reminiscing about that storm in 1989. They say it was 8-9 inches here along the Georgetown coast and shut the area down... until it melted the next day!

No snow here the last two winters, a little sleet one night last month.
So it was in 89! LOL! I can never remember that year.
I do remember that storm though. All the snow was amazing.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:21 PM

882 posts, read 2,287,887 times
I've been in MB for 16 years.

Biggest snow fall on record was in 89. 6" or so here along the heat of Myrtle Beach.

We've had two instances of accumulation in the 16 years I've lived here. Once in 99 or 2000, I believe it was.. Had 2-3" that melted by the following day. Once after that we rec'd a good dusting that was gone later in the afternoon.

If snow is of concern to you... forget about it. Not saying that it WON'T happen, but odds are you'll never have to deal with it.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:36 PM

Thank you all for sharing your input.

I too remember seeing that snowfall on TV back in 1989, or at least I have a vague recollection of it.

I have lived on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and I imagine the climate is similiar in MB.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM

I currently live in Tennessee, but was wondering how the winter weather compares with here.

A lady at work says that MB is no wamer than here, I disagreed with her. MB has palm trees and a much longer growing season.

While we don't have snow here alot, we do have it alot more than MB.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:00 PM

5,009 posts, read 8,542,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop5300 View Post
I currently live in Tennessee, but was wondering how the winter weather compares with here.

A lady at work says that MB is no wamer than here, I disagreed with her. MB has palm trees and a much longer growing season.

While we don't have snow here alot, we do have it alot more than MB.
Myrtle Beach is definitely warmer than anywhere in Tennessee during the winter. There probably isn't a huge difference during the summer, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area