U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 AM

1 posts, read 901 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am a first year (Math) teacher in NJ ... My boyfriend is having a hard time finding a job (also has a teaching degree... in Phys Ed) and we're so desperate to the point of applying to Myrtle Beach (Horry County Schools) and moving away from NJ so that he can get a job ... He hasn't been able to find a full-time teaching job since graduation over a year and a half ago!

Granted, he didn't even apply to Horry County yet, we're still beginning to think about the possibility of moving there as teachers...

However, I know absolutely nothing about SC Schools like I do NJ Schools ...

My questions include:
1. Are teachers living comfortably in SC? Pay wise.. I know that buying a house is a LOT more reasonable down there. We looked into buying a house up here and for a crappy $300,000 house in my area, the mortgage would be like $2,100 a month!! (Mortgage+10,000 a year taxes)
2. Is there tenure or any type of protection for teachers? (No union down there, right?)
3. How do observations work? Is that what teachers' jobs are based upon?
4. Benefits? Are they good? In NJ, the coverage we have is so good... $10 co-pays and never a bill for a surgery or anything.
5. PENSION? Is there one?
6. Transferring NJ cert to SC cert... Easy? Or no?

..Also, my father and sister live down there so if we get jobs there it would be pretty easy to transition into a living situation so not really worried about that.

Thank you to anyone who can offer ANYthing to this conversation!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 08:04 AM

711 posts, read 586,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njteacher421 View Post
Hello!

I am a first year (Math) teacher in NJ ... My boyfriend is having a hard time finding a job (also has a teaching degree... in Phys Ed) and we're so desperate to the point of applying to Myrtle Beach (Horry County Schools) and moving away from NJ so that he can get a job ... He hasn't been able to find a full-time teaching job since graduation over a year and a half ago!

Granted, he didn't even apply to Horry County yet, we're still beginning to think about the possibility of moving there as teachers...

My questions include:
1. Are teachers living comfortably in SC? Pay wise.. I know that buying a house is a LOT more reasonable down there. We looked into buying a house up here and for a crappy $300,000 house in my area, the mortgage would be like $2,100 a month!! (Mortgage+10,000 a year taxes)
2. Is there tenure or any type of protection for teachers? (No union down there, right?)
4. Benefits? Are they good? In NJ, the coverage we have is so good... $10 co-pays and never a bill for a surgery or anything.

..Also, my father and sister live down there so if we get jobs there it would be pretty easy to transition into a living situation so not really worried about that.

I'm sure that you will love SC. We are moving from Charleston to Conway (MB area) into a one story house. As for the school systems, I'm sure that you can contact the Horry County Schools System and SC Department of Education. As far as how good they are, I'm sure that the parents of children who are in the school system can tell you what they think.

Have a happy day!

Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 PM

9,080 posts, read 8,235,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njteacher421 View Post
Hello!

My questions include:

You have to have an actual education degree in South Carolina in order to teach there. That is where I'd start. I know not all states require an education degree to teach.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:19 PM

538 posts, read 761,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You have to have an actual education degree in South Carolina in order to teach there. That is where I'd start. I know not all states require an education degree to teach.
NJ is one of the states that allows to use the reciprocity agreements. I found this for you. I highlighted the 27 month paragraph for you because you said you're a first year teacher.
Starting pay in Horry County schools is roughly 36K. I don't think they have tenure. As far as house prices go, night & day from up north. You can buy a home for under 200K and pay only about $600 a year in taxes. Good luck...hope you find what you want in life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

South Carolina Teacher Reciprocity Agreements

South Carolina offers educators from out-of-state the opportunity to use reciprocity agreements and their current credentials to gain teaching certification in South Carolina. There are two main certifications available to out-of-state teachers: 1.) Reciprocal Initial Certification and 2.) Reciprocal Professional Certification. The Reciprocal Professional Certification requires verification of at least 27 months of full-time teaching experience. The Reciprocal Initial Certification is for candidates who have not yet gained 27 months of professional experience.

For more information about requirements and the process for certification through reciprocity, explore the South Carolina Department of Education website, or call 803-734-8466.

The following are member states of the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement who have signed reciprocity agreements with South Carolina.

Alabama Indiana Nevada South Dakota
Arizona Kansas New Hampshire Tennessee
Arkansas Kentucky New Jersey Texas
California Louisiana New Mexico Utah
Colorado Maine New York Virginia
Connecticut Maryland North Carolina Washington
Delaware Massachusetts North Dakota West Virginia
Florida Michigan Ohio Wisconsin
Georgia Mississippi Oklahoma Wyoming
Hawaii Missouri Oregon
Idaho Montana Pennsylvania
Illinois Nebraska Rhode Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or