Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2017, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

Myrtle Beach has so much potential, beautiful viewing from the ocean, but the rest needs a direct hit by a CAT 5 hurricane including lots of the ocean front resorts and needs a new government to rebuild.

The nation's economy is robust, cities big and small are growing and building but Myrtle Beach remains stagnant and deteriorating. Only two new hotels are planned and the resorts with bad reviews on physical issues are doing nothing.A lot of the resorts on North Ocean Blyd between 1st Ave and 21st are old. The majority of the oceanfront hotels are old and have issues. Trip Advisor, Google reviews, and Yelp confirms this.

Over the past 14 years, I watched the Pavillion close, downtown deteriorate and last year the iconic Hard Rock Cafe move out of the landmark unique pyramid.
To many sketchy motels or empty rotted motels just a few blocks back.
We met and talked to some really nice locals and talked befriended several business owners and follow a few on social media and many have discussed the woes of Myrtle Beach.
Some of them have been a victim of break-ins, a victim of unhealthy growth regulation by the city government.
I wanted to look at Myrtle Beach through my rose colored glass but discussing how things really are particularly the ones who basically run out of their leased downtown establishment because the city refused to either much-needed repairs or crime around 4 corners.

My life partner and I have vacationed about every other year our anniversary for the last 14 years in Myrtle Beach and choose a hotel that has a key entry parking garage and layers of key entry to the room.
We want to return to experience the new hotel at 6th Avenue when it opens but as deadly crime is on the rise, maybe it not worth tarnishing the milestone.
We chose by the boardwalk mainly because during our week stay we like to walk to our entertainment and restaurants.
Other than its ideal spot to just walk, I chose this location because the reviews showed to much crime along S. Ocean Blvd and to far a walk to decent eateries or entertainment.
Last year, we were walking in broad daylight to get something to eat and view the strip and approached by not one but several individuals wanting something. One asked me if I had any green.
I had not a clue what he meant, I said huh? He replied a tad louder and slower Green. I then realized what he was seeking and was dumbfounded by why would someone approach us. Maybe I need to dress my daily beachwear to look cop like.
There are some really good local restaurants off 16th and another on 17th and Kings Highway, both look not pleasing on the outside but the food was amazing. Walked by cute Chapin Park and thought it had so much potential. I also thought I would be apprehensive if we did this at night.

Over the 10 years on this forum. I read about car break-in of posters in Myrtle Beach and oodles of posts of members stating steer clear of Myrtle Beach. As a person that like all that MB offers I just assumed they have their own beach ideals. Here is one thread that the same unsavory opinion stated by different posters over the years about avoiding Myrtle Beach.
Best Beaches Myrtle needs a lot of improvements to be on this city-data list.

If you read that thread I linked above you will see another poster state they thought MB was improving but I think and witness it improving for the worst.

The recent shootings are a wake up that the town needs to be very aggressive in cleaning up the city besides planting palm trees on the strand. Lucky no one was killed but having wounds and having a gun at your head forced to carjack your car or being robbed walking the beach like a woman was a month ago, in my opinion, is what I thought life at Virginia Beach was like, not Myrtle Beach.

A Cat 5 slow moving hurricane needs to hit and wipe it like the town of Nichols. A new fresh government that funnels it money into safety and improving the local business instead of lipstick pig tourism dollars.
The block behind the resorts should be gated key entry parking decks but the deck starts on the second level and shops and restaurants on the street level.
The third row from the beach are a modern mix of condos, townhomes. cottages, and motels
The downtown and four corners should be a mix of restaurants, retail, bars and small clubs and lounges.
An open air trolley that caters to Market Commons, Downtown and Broadway at the beach and it should be year round as our Anniversary is in the offseason.
The spot where Pavillion use to be should be a park with water features maybe with Koi and possibly an occasional farmers and vendors market or produce stand or food trucks.

If Fort Lauderdale can transform it beach town. With new leadership, responsible spending then Myrtle Beach can change its image.
No one on vacation or daily living should be ruined by crime.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-22-2017 at 09:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 07:56 AM

45 posts, read 41,015 times
Thank you for this post. I'm actually considering moving from the frigid NE to a warmer coastal community and have been researching from NC to FL. I did find some great job opportunities in MB, but after having read your post I am going to have to do more research into this crime issue before I make any final decisions. I admit I do have rose colored glasses on when it comes to MB. I have visited it once before and loved it and these job opportunities are really good. I desperately want it to be a great town but I have to also be realistic about it...

Old 07-14-2017, 12:10 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Article from the Myrtle Beach Sun News makes one stop and think!

8 rip-offs to avoid on your Myrtle Beach vacation | Myrtle Beach Sun News

Old 07-14-2017, 05:12 PM

120 posts, read 226,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Article from the Myrtle Beach Sun News makes one stop and think!

8 rip-offs to avoid on your Myrtle Beach vacation | Myrtle Beach Sun News
Actually it is no different in Hawaii as we know from having been there several times! Car break-ins, houses robbed and tourists cheated and pick pockets around beach. This really goes on everywhere. That doesn't make it right but it also doesn't make it only a Myrtle Beach problem. It's the way the drug problems and our society are trending these days and it can only get worse unless we realize it is a national problem and not just a local one.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:17 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
How about raising the prices of everything and pricing the riff-raff out of the area?

Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 AM

215 posts, read 544,859 times
The Myrtle Beach International Airport saw heavy foot traffic last month as it welcomed more than a 17 percent increase in passengers compared with the same time period last year....
Breaking News, Sports, Weather & More | MyrtleBeachOnline.com & The Sun News

The way they're building around here, new subdivisions are going up everywhere. Just pick a road off 17 bypass, 501, Hwy 9 and all in between. I've never seen it so busy.

I wouldn't live anywhere else. I feel much safer here than just about anywhere. Nice people, nice place. 24 years and counting........................
[LEFT]
Read more here: MYR
[/LEFT]

Old 07-19-2017, 04:31 PM

458 posts, read 1,262,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How about raising the prices of everything and pricing the riff-raff out of the area?
Have you seen the cost of living in Hawaii? This won't work

Old 07-30-2017, 07:06 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times
I do have a question though. so I'm researching beach towns to retire to. I'm a northeasterner and have had my fill of long winters. Here's my questions, it seems that all the towns I've been researching have very similar complaints.

Myrtle beach
Savannah ga/tybee Island
Daytona beach florida.

What gives, maybe it's because I'm from Philly which is a large city and crime is to be expected but how do these places stay so popular if they are as crime ridden as everyone claims? could it be that like every thing else, good news doesn't get reported so we fixate on the bad?

Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 AM

31 posts, read 106,667 times
I will be relocating to Myrtle/Conway next year and all this recent crime never scared us away from moving there. We never felt unsafe anywhere and even on my first trip we stayed at Ocean Plaza motel. (Yes that one in the so called hood area). Never seen anything to be worried about. I guess they seen my Shelby County TN plate and thought "Hes from Memphis, he could be dangerous".

Most of this crime stuff happens in the tourist areas especially during summer and bike weeks. Its the bad crowds of out of towners who come here to act a fool, destroy the place, and leave back to their hometown hoods.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:28 AM

45 posts, read 41,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameHHH View Post
I will be relocating to Myrtle/Conway next year and all this recent crime never scared us away from moving there. We never felt unsafe anywhere and even on my first trip we stayed at Ocean Plaza motel. (Yes that one in the so called hood area). Never seen anything to be worried about. I guess they seen my Shelby County TN plate and thought "Hes from Memphis, he could be dangerous".

Most of this crime stuff happens in the tourist areas especially during summer and bike weeks. Its the bad crowds of out of towners who come here to act a fool, destroy the place, and leave back to their hometown hoods.
Yeah that makes sense. It's just like Miami. When I was doing my fellowship there I lived in a suburb which was quiet and not touristy, had an entire beach all to myself. Much nicer than south beach, yet if I wanted action I could just drive 30 mins south to South Beach and I was in the middle of it. I think Myrtle Beach makes a lot of sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area