U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 05:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times

Advertisements

To guard against the possibility of swallowing the water, it’s best to keep your head up and out of the water,” Torrens said. “People with open cuts or other wounds should also avoid contact with the water.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 07:56 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,301,363 times
Yuck! Where is it coming from? We've had that problem on a portion of the Rappahanock River....no way I'd get in that water!

Old 06-30-2017, 06:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,480,053 times
Provably resort related.

Wow look how extreme the number is and swim advisory is issued for this but if you look at the bottom in yellow swim advisory is any greater than 104. Those samples are way above that. https://localtvwghp.files.wordpress....ng?w=770&h=433

When I was young, I sometimes had a cut and would go in the ocean as the salt water helped it heal, but as an adult I know that is an invitation for ocean predators, never thought on bacteria.
Now it makes sense why people want pools at the beach, I'm like just go in the ocean.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:55 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,642,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Yuck! Where is it coming from? We've had that problem on a portion of the Rappahanock River....no way I'd get in that water!
There have been similar issues with bacteria above the so-called acceptable limits, all up and down the coast. We recently had a problem here in Surfside Beach. "They" (I think mostly DHEC) say that it is due to the water from the storm drains, which collect water run off and deposit that into the ocean. That water is supposedly contaminated by dog feces, trash and other similar pollutants. The problem becomes worse with warmer temperatures due to the fact that the bacteria can thrive in warmer waters, etc.

There are permanently posted signs near and next to the areas of the swash, which is where the storm drains run into the ocean. You are never supposed to swim in those areas, but people don't pay attention and do it all the time. Whenever I have pointed this out to people in an attempt to politely educate them about the dangers of playing in that water, I have been met with anger and disbelief - even when I've shown them the signage, so I quit wasting my time. Oh well, you can't fix stupid.

Here are a couple of links that address these issues. As you may notice, some of the links are from past years. As I said, it's an ongoing issue.

https://www.google.com/#q=what+cause...in+ocean+water

Old 07-02-2017, 10:29 AM

214 posts, read 471,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
there have been similar issues with bacteria above the so-called acceptable limits, all up and down the coast. We recently had a problem here in surfside beach. "they" (i think mostly dhec) say that it is due to the water from the storm drains, which collect water run off and deposit that into the ocean. That water is supposedly contaminated by dog feces, trash and other similar pollutants. The problem becomes worse with warmer temperatures due to the fact that the bacteria can thrive in warmer waters, etc.

There are permanently posted signs near and next to the areas of the swash, which is where the storm drains run into the ocean. You are never supposed to swim in those areas, but people don't pay attention and do it all the time. Whenever i have pointed this out to people in an attempt to politely educate them about the dangers of playing in that water, i have been met with anger and disbelief - even when i've shown them the signage, so i quit wasting my time. Oh well, you can't fix stupid.

Here are a couple of links that address these issues. As you may notice, some of the links are from past years. As i said, it's an ongoing issue.

https://www.google.com/#q=what+cause...in+ocean+water
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area