U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:24 AM

80 posts, read 62,722 times

Advertisements

We are focused on Garden City Beach down to Murrells Inlet. Pawleys Island is OK but just a bit too far south for us.
Murrells Inlet is close to Garden City that we can get there pretty quickly in a golf cart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 712 times
We are now starting to look as well. I'm seeing some very reasonable pricing in the Garden City/Murrells Inlet area, but I think it may be a trailer community, and I've read you are paying rent on the lot so to speak, and it's not going to pay down the mortgage - Offshore drive area. I also am finding the manufactured homes in general to be a great value, but then worry about insurance costs etc. We are looking for some breathing room between homes, as we now live in Vegas and you can't
sneeze without your neighbor hearing it. Close proximity to the Beach, so yes, Garden City looks great.
Ideally a place with some space, little to no HOA ( I get the HOA can include a pool, upkeep on the streets lighting, common areas etc, but am pretty sick of them living in Vegas.) close to beach...any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2019, 04:16 PM

10 posts, read 5,080 times
My husband and I visited the week of February 9th. We called it our "sneak-a-peak" operation to see if we liked the area enough to move there. We're approaching retirement age and the state is very tax-friendly to retirees. We loved it and will be moving there the summer of 2020. We snagged an ocean front condo for $45/night. Yay off season! There were several people walking along the beach, some bundled up like me (I hate the cold) and some wearing shorts. The ocean is breathtaking to me any time of year!

We drove around the area all week from Murrells Inlet to Little River. Our realtor warned us of the summer traffic on 501, so we're definitely going to stay away from that area. The traffic in the middle of a weekday was horrible in the Murrells Inlet/Surfside area. That's a no go for us. And the south end of the Carolina Forest suburbs (Carolina Forest Blvd.)? Forget about it! They need traffic lights, four lanes, or something! Our realtor lives on the very north tip of it close to 31, and she hates traffic, so that might be ok.

We found the area between International Drive (which I understand just opened fairly recently) and highway 9, and east of 90, to our liking. That's a large swath, I know, but there are several established neighborhoods with lots of green space, which we like, plus lots of new developments with not so much green space. However, having a little pond in the midst of the houses is a real thing there. (I just think about the mosquitoes that would attract!). Our realtor told us about highway 31, also recently completed on the south end, which is very functional for getting from, say, Little River to Myrtle Beach or further south, fast and easy. We found HOAs range from $20 or so per month to hundreds of dollars, depending upon the price of the houses/neighborhood and their location; east side of the Intracoastal Waterway is more pricey, of course, since it's closer to the beach. I hate to think of the insurance rates!

Conway addresses go further east (closer to the beach) than I thought they did before we went; and Little River addresses go further south than I realized. So we'll probably end up in one of the two.

We're all about the beach and an awesome church I've been listening to online and was excited to visit; it's off 501 at Bush Drive, so we want to stay pretty close to highway 31 to breeze into church/activities several times a week. Splitting the difference between North Myrtle Beach, which we really liked, and our church puts us in the area I mentioned.

We're going to be very aware of flood zones when we make our purchase! We drove around the Socastee area, which was flooded when the Waccamaw River went over its banks. Very sad to see the water line left on the houses along the river.

You just can't get a feel for anything until you go there and experience it for yourself. I think it's still off season. Book a flight, get an-off season condo rate, and explore! (They have a very cute little airport!)

Old 03-15-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoblivious View Post
We are now starting to look as well. I'm seeing some very reasonable pricing in the Garden City/Murrells Inlet area, but I think it may be a trailer community, and I've read you are paying rent on the lot so to speak, and it's not going to pay down the mortgage - Offshore drive area. I also am finding the manufactured homes in general to be a great value, but then worry about insurance costs etc. We are looking for some breathing room between homes, as we now live in Vegas and you can't
sneeze without your neighbor hearing it. Close proximity to the Beach, so yes, Garden City looks great.
Ideally a place with some space, little to no HOA ( I get the HOA can include a pool, upkeep on the streets lighting, common areas etc, but am pretty sick of them living in Vegas.) close to beach...any suggestions?
We love the Garden City Beach area and if all goes right with selling our home this Spring, will be moving to that area this Summer.
I agree that the manufactured homes are a great value and we are hoping to buy one outright with the proceeds from our current home here in Jersey and just have the HOA to deal with. Insurance on the west side of Rt. 17 is very reasonable.
Good luck with your search.

Regards,
Len

Old 03-15-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZivaDog View Post
My husband and I visited the week of February 9th. We called it our "sneak-a-peak" operation to see if we liked the area enough to move there. We're approaching retirement age and the state is very tax-friendly to retirees. We loved it and will be moving there the summer of 2020. We snagged an ocean front condo for $45/night. Yay off season! There were several people walking along the beach, some bundled up like me (I hate the cold) and some wearing shorts. The ocean is breathtaking to me any time of year!

We drove around the area all week from Murrells Inlet to Little River. Our realtor warned us of the summer traffic on 501, so we're definitely going to stay away from that area. The traffic in the middle of a weekday was horrible in the Murrells Inlet/Surfside area. That's a no go for us. And the south end of the Carolina Forest suburbs (Carolina Forest Blvd.)? Forget about it! They need traffic lights, four lanes, or something! Our realtor lives on the very north tip of it close to 31, and she hates traffic, so that might be ok.

We found the area between International Drive (which I understand just opened fairly recently) and highway 9, and east of 90, to our liking. That's a large swath, I know, but there are several established neighborhoods with lots of green space, which we like, plus lots of new developments with not so much green space. However, having a little pond in the midst of the houses is a real thing there. (I just think about the mosquitoes that would attract!). Our realtor told us about highway 31, also recently completed on the south end, which is very functional for getting from, say, Little River to Myrtle Beach or further south, fast and easy. We found HOAs range from $20 or so per month to hundreds of dollars, depending upon the price of the houses/neighborhood and their location; east side of the Intracoastal Waterway is more pricey, of course, since it's closer to the beach. I hate to think of the insurance rates!

We're going to be very aware of flood zones when we make our purchase! We drove around the Socastee area, which was flooded when the Waccamaw River went over its banks. Very sad to see the water line left on the houses along the river.

You just can't get a feel for anything until you go there and experience it for yourself. I think it's still off season. Book a flight, get an-off season condo rate, and explore! (They have a very cute little airport!)
We decided to stay totally away from Myrtle Beach proper because it's crawling with tourists in season, away from Conway because it's main route to the beach is 501 which is impossibly clogged in season. We liked the south end down near Murrells Inlet/Garden City Beach because it's close to everything but quiet compared to Myrtle Beach.
Do yourself a favor and go down there in the Summer and check out the chaos I'm referring to before you buy anything up north. Even Little River further north is a better option than Myrtle Beach proper. Insurance is not as bad as you might think. We were amazed.
I'm the original poster for this thread and we were really interested in Conway until we got down there and asked around.

Regards,
Len

Old 03-18-2019, 11:49 AM

439 posts, read 280,347 times
Hi Len. I noticed you first posted in 2017. Are the housing prices that reasonable? I'm currently in south Florida but looking to become a "halfback" to the Carolinas. Myrtle beach peaked my interest.

Old 03-18-2019, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 3,851 times
Your all missing the main issues because you all don’t live here. There are 35k full timers population wise in just Myrtle. All areas there are 450k people Horry county. The est on full time residents in Myrtle in next 10 years I believe is 300k.

And Conway to beach is not 501 only. That’s is you are going to tourist beech with homeless and drug areas rt 22 is a bit of a secret. I get in and to the beach in 25 min. There is no one on r22. North Myrtle is the place to go.

I’m from nj and chose aynor to stay away from riff raff. And have 3/4 acre lot so I’m not on top of each other. I back to a farm so no neighbors.

You northerners keep moving to your socastee Murrells Inlet areas. Heck go to Carolina forest please. It will be better for me. Ahh they will build up my way eventually not not in my lifetime.

Come live here one summers and then tell me how the south end or north end is. You’ll see.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble cake View Post
Hi Len. I noticed you first posted in 2017. Are the housing prices that reasonable? I'm currently in south Florida but looking to become a "halfback" to the Carolinas. Myrtle beach peaked my interest.
Hi "Marble",
I've been studying the area steadily since 2017 and am certainly no expert on the Grand Strand by any stretch of the imagination. I've also come to some basic conclusions as to where and what circumstances will make us happy with our choice for retirement. We want quiet and we want reasonable, especially from a housing perspective. My advice is visit the area and speak with people who live there and have lived there for a few years. Go in season and out of season. Make your decision based on your experience and other transplant's experience.
As your question above: We are from Jersey and were absolutely amazed at the affordability in general and for us retirees in particular. Everyone has a bottom line as to what they require when considering their own personal bottom line and how they want to live. We found ours and I think there is something for anyone down there. We will be selling our home in the next couple of months and intend to be living in the Garden City/Murrells Inlet area before Summer's end.
BTW, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood area for 2 years........2 years too long. I spent 1 1/2 years getting out. IMO, it can't compare with The Grand Strand.
Hope this helps.....

Regard,
Len

Old 03-18-2019, 04:12 PM

439 posts, read 280,347 times
Thanks Len. So you understand my desire to run from here. I wound up here because hubby passed away and we were snowbirds. I already had this condo. Couldn’t keep north home too.
So I chose to move here because of better weather. Living here is different than being here just 3 months.

Thanks for your reply.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrosa View Post
Your all missing the main issues because you all donít live here. There are 35k full timers population wise in just Myrtle. All areas there are 450k people Horry county. The est on full time residents in Myrtle in next 10 years I believe is 300k.

And Conway to beach is not 501 only. Thatís is you are going to tourist beech with homeless and drug areas rt 22 is a bit of a secret. I get in and to the beach in 25 min. There is no one on r22. North Myrtle is the place to go.

Iím from nj and chose aynor to stay away from riff raff. And have 3/4 acre lot so Iím not on top of each other. I back to a farm so no neighbors.

You northerners keep moving to your socastee Murrells Inlet areas. Heck go to Carolina forest please. It will be better for me. Ahh they will build up my way eventually not not in my lifetime.

Come live here one summers and then tell me how the south end or north end is. Youíll see.
There are less desirable areas just about anywhere you go. We have found that research will guide us as to what will work for us. We liked N. Myrtle and Little River and Murrells and Garden City way more than Myrtle Beach, mostly due to congestion. The MB attractions are easily available from north or south, no reason to live there to enjoy them.
If I wanted to drive 25 miles to the beach I could stay in Jersey. Yech!!! We will be able to walk to the pool in 1 - 2mins., to the beach in 5 mins. or ride in the golf cart to the beach or the ice cream parlor, or the state park in 5 - 10 mins.
We are looking to interact and get involved with new friends. Not isolate from people. So, I guess it's all a matter of what makes you happy.

Regards,
Len
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area