U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,711,325 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Myrtle Beach or the surrounding area in a couple of years. What is your favorite and least favorite part of living in MB or the surrounding area (Conway, Carolina Forest, Longs, etc.) and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,351,634 times
Favorite: Weather, taxes are low
Least Favorite: Bugs

Old 03-20-2008, 02:09 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,717,099 times
Favorite - Weather, new house, low taxes, beach

Least Favorite - Bugs, Tax on clothes, food stores

Old 03-20-2008, 04:38 PM

26 posts, read 108,469 times
Favorite- Weather, beach is close, semi good shopping, gas is cheap compared to other states, decent night life, cost of living

Least Favorite- Tourist season can be annoying when people don't know where they are going and treat our city like crap (ie littering), traffic (getting to the beach is NOT that easy for us most months). Trying to find a parking spot when u go to the beach is hard as well.
High car insurance, REALLY hot summers, low teacher's salaries, smoking is still allowed in bars and most restaraunts.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:15 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,351,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Yes, tax on clothes! That's hard to get used to here. One of the few things we can say is great about NJ, no tax on clothes.

Beach Teach07 you mentioned high car insurance...where did you move from? My insurance was cut in half when I moved here.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Food stores? Is it that you don't like the selection, the prices...?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,717,099 times
Yes, the selection - but there are a few good stores that they have built now that I do like. I do pay more for food here then NJ, even Costco is more then NJ. I just seem to have to go to more stores to get what I want or need.

Beach Teach07 - Were did you move from - I saved also about 1/2 on my car insurance. I do pay more for homeowners, but my taxes are much less.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:08 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,072,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
My wife and I are moving to Myrtle Beach or the surrounding area in a couple of years. What is your favorite and least favorite part of living in MB or the surrounding area (Conway, Carolina Forest, Longs, etc.) and why?
Favorites......That you can golf in Jan, Feb, and March
That you can put the winter coat away and have windows
down during those months.
Great walking weather, and the OCEAN
Low, taxes
Being with other northerners enjoying time here ( winter mo.)
Those Murrells Inlet Restaurants.......
Least............Traffic, crowds
Highways with many, many, lanes.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:54 PM

58 posts, read 216,062 times
Favorite: Weather

Least Favorite: Traffic in Summer & Mediocre Child Care/Public Schools

If you are retired, I think it's probably a great place to live. However, for young professionals with children, it's just not quite there yet.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliemei View Post
Favorite: Weather

Least Favorite: Traffic in Summer & Mediocre Child Care/Public Schools

If you are retired, I think it's probably a great place to live. However, for young professionals with children, it's just not quite there yet.
We are in our low thirties, and when we move we will be working on the children part. How much is part time daycare, and is it really that bad? Could it be any worse than any other cross section study in a random town? I am not looking to expect the best schools in the world, but being from Birmingham, AL, I didn't have the best schools in the world and turned out fine. It was because my family was involved in my life, and committed to my well-being. I plan to do the same for my children, so I figure whatever the schools might be lacking in I can help pick up the slack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area