Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 06:50 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times

Advertisements

Hey Folks,

Our family is considering moving to the Myrtle Beach area. I work remote, so a job market is a concern. What is a concern is trying to find the correct area for us to buy a home (we'll be there in the next month to check out the area). We do like the value and the new homes in Carolina Forrest, specifically The Farm. But I have read the horror stories of traffic getting on 501. Other concern is that we have is we would like a home that increases in value during these up times and hopefully stay on the higher end.

Our budget is $300K and we are looking for a 4bd in a neighborhood with other kids, they really like to make friends and play with kids in the neighborhood. My youngest is 12. I don't think I want to be too close to the beach due to added insurance costs. I have little desire to spend extra money on insurance premiums where I get no return but then again... for the right price and neighborhood, close to the beach may be ok. We do have kids, they are older/getting older so the only school I am concerned with is is the High School. It doesn't need to be a stellar school, as we have homeschooled them the last 3 years while travelling and are super involved parents who can help them with their work.

Any suggestions on other areas we should be looking at, or do you feel the Farms in Carolina Forrest is good?

Thanks!
Kash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 PM

231 posts, read 156,293 times
In my opinion Carolina Forest schools are the best in the area.

If you purchase on the back end of CF area you have access to go any direction without hitting the congestion at 501 and CF Road.

Where are you living in Florida?

We have lived in both Florida and in Myrtle Beach ourselves.

Do you mind me asking what made you chose Myrtle Beach, SC?

MB has such a more "homey" feeling then the towns we have lived in Florida. Although not quite the huge amounts of things to do that Florida has but sometimes you have to give up to get what is important to you.

We like the Farm and some of the communities on River Oak such as Berkshire etc.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:08 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
Also check out Arrowhead. On the western side of the Intercostal help keep insurance costs down, access to the beach and stores (including the mall) without having to deal with 501.
Arrowhead Homes For Sale | Myrtle Beach Real Estate

Old 01-17-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
Where are you living in Florida?

Do you mind me asking what made you chose Myrtle Beach, SC?

We like the Farm and some of the communities on River Oak such as Berkshire etc.
We lived in Tampa/Carrolwood area. Sold the house a couple months ago and have been cruising around seeing the country in a motorhome for the last 3 years

We visited Myrtle Beach this summer. Liked it (we like touristy areas LOL) and want to check it out more which we will be doing in the next 30 days. We liked that you can actually live within a short drive to the beach and the smaller town vibe. Also liked that there are waves where you can surf. Not to mention homes are very, very affordable in Myrtle Beach compared to most towns in FL that are near the coast.

Yes, we also like Berkshire Forest. I like how their HOA gives you access to beach parking and the amenities at a resort on the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Also check out Arrowhead. On the western side of the Intercostal help keep insurance costs down, access to the beach and stores (including the mall) without having to deal with 501.
Arrowhead Homes For Sale | Myrtle Beach Real Estate
Thanks for the link!

I went to a site online that supposedly gives you the approximate average cost of home owners insurance per zip code. For a zip in Carolina Forest it said for 200K Dwelling Coverage, 100K Liability at a $2500 deductible it was about $1500. Does that seem right?

Thanks!
Kash

Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
The insurance estimate is about right if it includes coverage for hurricanes.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 AM

Arrowhead looks nice, but not sure about living in a golf course community. How family friendly is arrowhead? Lots of kids and people out and about?

Anybody know of any newer developments that actually allow you to put up a privacy fence? Seems as though most of the houses/communities have no fence, wrought iron fence or little puny 2-3 foot fence. I am guessing these fences are the only type allowed by the HOAs.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:02 PM

638 posts, read 992,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Arrowhead looks nice, but not sure about living in a golf course community. How family friendly is arrowhead? Lots of kids and people out and about?

Anybody know of any newer developments that actually allow you to put up a privacy fence? Seems as though most of the houses/communities have no fence, wrought iron fence or little puny 2-3 foot fence. I am guessing these fences are the only type allowed by the HOAs.
Park Place in Market Common allows a privacy fence.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Thanks for the replies and assistance. I have been using Zillow extensively to search down homes that may work for us. We're looking at places $275K and under. I'd like to keep the mortgage as low as possible so we have extra spending money and just to have a nice healthy monthly cash flow. Still trying to wrap my head around homeowners insurance costs in the area. I have been using this site https://www.insurance.com/average-home-insurance-rates to try and help determine insurance cost. The low and high are all over the place which makes sense, but curious if the average is even close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area