U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:05 PM

519 posts, read 733,810 times

Advertisements

We just discovered a lot of bad reviews about bad experiences with the builder Beazer. They werenít concentrated in only one area,but all over the country including Myrtle Beach. Since our favorite home so far that weíve seen is built by Beazer,we are very concerned about this,are having some serious doubts and wonder if we should trust them. Has anyone on here had any bad experiences with them or know anyone personally who has?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:00 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,258 posts, read 5,038,435 times
We are in a Beazer community (Park West in Murrells Inlet). There were problems with the early built units in Park West, now being fixed after a law suit settlement. None major with ours. We have been happy with our purchase (now owned for nine years).

Old 01-22-2018, 06:07 AM

623 posts, read 1,132,088 times
We do not own a Beazer home but when we were looking at different builders, we were not impressed with the fit/finish of the Beazer homes we looked at. Lots of people love their Beazer homes and I won't dispute their perspectives because they are much closer to the homes than I am.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
We do not own a Beazer home but when we were looking at different builders, we were not impressed with the fit/finish of the Beazer homes we looked at. Lots of people love their Beazer homes and I won't dispute their perspectives because they are much closer to the homes than I am.
Which builder did you use?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:52 AM

During my daily walks which include a circuit of Parmalee, a Horton community, I have seen a lot of apparently construction related issues being fixed on the outside of the units.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 PM

623 posts, read 1,132,088 times
We used what was then know as Citizen's Homes but they've gone through several acquisitions and are now known as Realstar Homes. I know that at least one of the owners of Citizen's still owns part of Realstar but I can't comment on their current quality as I haven't toured any of their homes. We are very happy with the home we had built.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
We used what was then know as Citizen's Homes but they've gone through several acquisitions and are now known as Realstar Homes. I know that at least one of the owners of Citizen's still owns part of Realstar but I can't comment on their current quality as I haven't toured any of their homes. We are very happy with the home we had built.
Thank you!

Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM

3,378 posts, read 7,868,626 times
Most new homes will have some sort of issue. Heck, most brand new cars need to go back to the shop after you won them for awhile to get something taken care of and cars are built on a tight quality controlled assembly line.

The ground a new house sits on will often settle. This can cause issues, no way to know. Just hope it happens before the warranty expires.

Rains and humidity can happen while framing the house or happen before the get the felt and shingles on the roof. This can cause wood to warp and bow.

The drywall guy (or any skilled labor person) may have come to work hung over or is experiencing some sort of stress at home or with his family. Maybe his mom just died. He's not focused on the work and does a poor tape job or nicks a pipe or wire with a nail.

Maybe some of the materials used to build the house we subpar and is no fault of the builder.

Moral of the story is.... a brand new house will have some sort of issue to get repaired. To think the builder with all these different contractors, suppliers and variable can ensure that your home will have no issues is very unlikely.

We had a DR Horton home in Texas that was brand new. There were a couple minor things I saw here and there. They came out and fixed them right away, couldn't be happier.

We're traveling fulltime in a motorhome these days. Been doing it for awhile. We bought a used motorhome because I was told by experienced travelers that used is better than new because most of the kinks, issues and problems have been resolved by the previous owner dealing with warrant claims.

A brand new house is kind of the same thing. Maybe find something that is gently used. Also, remember, you always pay a premium when buying a brand new, never lived in house. But I get it... there's nothing quite like the feel of something new and being able to pick out materials and features has got to be nice.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Most new homes will have some sort of issue. Heck, most brand new cars need to go back to the shop after you won them for awhile to get something taken care of and cars are built on a tight quality controlled assembly line.

The ground a new house sits on will often settle. This can cause issues, no way to know. Just hope it happens before the warranty expires.

Rains and humidity can happen while framing the house or happen before the get the felt and shingles on the roof. This can cause wood to warp and bow.

The drywall guy (or any skilled labor person) may have come to work hung over or is experiencing some sort of stress at home or with his family. Maybe his mom just died. He's not focused on the work and does a poor tape job or nicks a pipe or wire with a nail.

Maybe some of the materials used to build the house we subpar and is no fault of the builder.

Moral of the story is.... a brand new house will have some sort of issue to get repaired. To think the builder with all these different contractors, suppliers and variable can ensure that your home will have no issues is very unlikely.

We had a DR Horton home in Texas that was brand new. There were a couple minor things I saw here and there. They came out and fixed them right away, couldn't be happier.

We're traveling fulltime in a motorhome these days. Been doing it for awhile. We bought a used motorhome because I was told by experienced travelers that used is better than new because most of the kinks, issues and problems have been resolved by the previous owner dealing with warrant claims.

A brand new house is kind of the same thing. Maybe find something that is gently used. Also, remember, you always pay a premium when buying a brand new, never lived in house. But I get it... there's nothing quite like the feel of something new and being able to pick out materials and features has got to be nice.
Very well said and all good and valid points. Yes,new is much better and being able to choose your options/upgrades is great. Our current home was new when we bought it 14 years ago and the home is great(All brick with everything we need in a gated neighborhood).....itís just not in the right location. Wish we could pick it up and move it to Myrtle Beach. Thanks for your perspective.😊

Old 01-24-2018, 03:23 PM

The story I was told about the cause of issues with the earlier constructed home in Park West (a Beazer community) which could also explain problems with homes build by other builders during the period was: New construction was so crazy while the real estate bubble was expanding that the building companies, including Beazer, had problems finding skilled workers. Apparently they were hiring any warm body that knew which end of a hammer to hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area