Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 AM

70 posts, read 75,926 times

Advertisements

My husband is afraid of hurricanes but I have to get out of PA. I hate the vibe in this part of the country, the winters and gradually it's been getting worse for me emotionally since I was 19 and now am 65+. How can I convince him it's not so bad down there with the hurricanes? He's checked online and said in the 80's or 90's a bad hurricane damaged some of Conway. We have trees fall down on people up here. What happens if there is a bad hurricane? Where does everyone go for those few days. Also my mother is terrified to go to a place she's never been to although she loved every shore location she's ever visited, except for run town areas such as Tuckerton, NJ! She thinks Pawley's Island, Murrells Inlet, Little River or Surfside Beach would be good according to what she's heard. Under our circumstances, any decent place/area that's affordable to rent (initially). Last but not least, any reliable insurance company for hurricanes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 02:48 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
The potential of hurricanes is always present but the number that actually make landfall in MB is small. You always get advance warning that they may be coming although the exact track can change at the last minute. Most of the time, if you evacuate anywhere west of I-95, you're out of the worst of the storm. Many people just book a hotel and go for a little vacation while others use a storm as an "excuse" to go visit relatives in another state. Plans differ based on each family's needs, available funds and willingness to travel.

My parents (in their early 80's when they moved) moved here after we did. My Mom loves it here and would never leave. My Dad hates it here and would leave tomorrow if he could. Life is what you make of it and if you have a good attitude, you can adjust to a new place but if you don't really want to move, it's hard to adjust the attitude.

The one piece of advice I give everyone...visiting MB or any vacation spot is VERY different than actually living here. One may love the vacation but end up hating the actual life in an area because of the crowds, different weather and culture. So, I always advise renting before buying and that's what it looks like you're planning. That way, if you don't like the area, you can easily pick up and go somewhere else. Or if you don't like the part of MB that you've selected, you can relocate to an area you find more interesting. You may also want to consider coming down for a week or 2 to explore the area before even selecting a rental. We took two trips to explore MB before we moved down and looked from Little River all the way to Murrell's Inlet to get a feel for the communities, shopping, activities, etc. It was time well spent (didn't do any tourist things during either trip) because we ended up in an area we didn't even consider when looking online from afar. But, we love it here.

As far as insurance, obtaining insurance is not a problem. If you end up buying and having a mortgage, wind and hail coverage is required.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
The potential of hurricanes is always present but the number that actually make landfall in MB is small. You always get advance warning that they may be coming although the exact track can change at the last minute. Most of the time, if you evacuate anywhere west of I-95, you're out of the worst of the storm. Many people just book a hotel and go for a little vacation while others use a storm as an "excuse" to go visit relatives in another state. Plans differ based on each family's needs, available funds and willingness to travel.

My parents (in their early 80's when they moved) moved here after we did. My Mom loves it here and would never leave. My Dad hates it here and would leave tomorrow if he could. Life is what you make of it and if you have a good attitude, you can adjust to a new place but if you don't really want to move, it's hard to adjust the attitude.

The one piece of advice I give everyone...visiting MB or any vacation spot is VERY different than actually living here. One may love the vacation but end up hating the actual life in an area because of the crowds, different weather and culture. So, I always advise renting before buying and that's what it looks like you're planning. That way, if you don't like the area, you can easily pick up and go somewhere else. Or if you don't like the part of MB that you've selected, you can relocate to an area you find more interesting. You may also want to consider coming down for a week or 2 to explore the area before even selecting a rental. We took two trips to explore MB before we moved down and looked from Little River all the way to Murrell's Inlet to get a feel for the communities, shopping, activities, etc. It was time well spent (didn't do any tourist things during either trip) because we ended up in an area we didn't even consider when looking online from afar. But, we love it here.

As far as insurance, obtaining insurance is not a problem. If you end up buying and having a mortgage, wind and hail coverage is required.
CTyank..., I had a long reply for you but my lousy laptop deleted everything. I remember you from Newcomers and Hopefuls in MB back in 2011/12. Can you tell me which insurance company you use that you're happy with? My husband says that a lot of the Sandy victims never got their claims paid, so he's afraid of that problem too. Thanks for your reply.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:31 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,095 times
Well, I've never submitted a claim and hope I never have too...LOL. So, I can't vouch for the claims process. What I do is work with a general agent to find the best coverage at the best price. Field Insurance Agency has found me the best deals. They are an agent...not the insurance company itself.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Keep in mind that when Hurricane Hugo hit us in 1989, it was still a Hurricane when it hit Charlotte, NC which is 200 miles from where the Hugo made landfall.

You cannot predict a hurricane and sometimes the afterwards is much worse. No power means no AC in the fall in South Carolina and that is still summer.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
Well, I've never submitted a claim and hope I never have too...LOL. So, I can't vouch for the claims process. What I do is work with a general agent to find the best coverage at the best price. Field Insurance Agency has found me the best deals. They are an agent...not the insurance company itself.
CTyankee, I will note that agent in my book where I keep all my relocation info. I didn't know people use agents instead of a direct company. I will go first to that agent, since I've written to you multiple times before and you seem to know what you're doing. Thanks.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Keep in mind that when Hurricane Hugo hit us in 1989, it was still a Hurricane when it hit Charlotte, NC which is 200 miles from where the Hugo made landfall.

You cannot predict a hurricane and sometimes the afterwards is much worse. No power means no AC in the fall in South Carolina and that is still summer.
blueherons, I appreciate your openness about how far-reaching hurricanes can be. I'm wondering if Hugo had an effect in Charlotte, where the hurricane may have been level 1 or 2. 200 miles seems really far inland, especially after hearing Nikki Haley say to live 100 miles inland to avoid (trouble from) hurricanes. We here right outside Philly are less than 100 miles from the ocean but we do get violent storm damage from Hurricanes but basically a bad storm here is a bad storm. Sandy and Irene were a little worst than the next worst thunderstorm, maybe just lasted longer. I wanted to evacuate from Irene only because of the power outage, not damage or anything dangerous. I remember Irene knocked out our power for 2 days. How bad was the worst damage in Charlotte? As for the A/C, this is why I'd want to be the first person in my area to evacuate.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
blueherons, I appreciate your openness about how far-reaching hurricanes can be. I'm wondering if Hugo had an effect in Charlotte, where the hurricane may have been level 1 or 2. 200 miles seems really far inland, especially after hearing Nikki Haley say to live 100 miles inland to avoid (trouble from) hurricanes. .
Hurricane Hugo DECIMATED Charlotte. I cannot imagine Nikki Hailey saying to live 100 miles inland to avoid hurricanes considered what they have done to SC through the years. She isn't that stupid.

Make no mistake, a direct hit from a Hurricane 1 or 2 will kill you. Ever have a tree land in the middle of your home? I have from Hugo and it came ashore 80 miles south of my house. We had water up through the second floor of our home.

I'm not trying to scare you but you seem really naive.

Myrtle Beach hasn't had a direct hit from a hurricane in decades. Hurricane Hazel in 1956 if I'm not mistaken.

It is the ones that miss MB that do all the damage.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
blueherons, I appreciate your openness about how far-reaching hurricanes can be. I'm wondering if Hugo had an effect in Charlotte, where the hurricane may have been level 1 or 2. 200 miles seems really far inland, especially after hearing Nikki Haley say to live 100 miles inland to avoid (trouble from) hurricanes. We here right outside Philly are less than 100 miles from the ocean but we do get violent storm damage from Hurricanes but basically a bad storm here is a bad storm. Sandy and Irene were a little worst than the next worst thunderstorm, maybe just lasted longer. I wanted to evacuate from Irene only because of the power outage, not damage or anything dangerous. I remember Irene knocked out our power for 2 days. How bad was the worst damage in Charlotte? As for the A/C, this is why I'd want to be the first person in my area to evacuate.
One thing you can consider regarding your fear of being without power is to install a generator.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Hurricane Hugo DECIMATED Charlotte. I cannot imagine Nikki Hailey saying to live 100 miles inland to avoid hurricanes considered what they have done to SC through the years. She isn't that stupid.

Make no mistake, a direct hit from a Hurricane 1 or 2 will kill you. Ever have a tree land in the middle of your home? I have from Hugo and it came ashore 80 miles south of my house. We had water up through the second floor of our home.

I'm not trying to scare you but you seem really naive.

Myrtle Beach hasn't had a direct hit from a hurricane in decades. Hurricane Hazel in 1956 if I'm not mistaken.

It is the ones that miss MB that do all the damage.
https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...2cb799a0f.html

Not actually to move 100 miles inland but to evacuate that far in order to be safe..Several news pieces online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area