Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 9,822 times

Advertisements

Hey, current northern KS resident here. Wife and I are late 20s/early 30s respectively and have no kids but are trying. She is a laboratory technician and I have background in sales management and music (so definitely looking to start a band). We make 70-80k a year household.

Looking for :

Housing 150-200k
Medical/lab jobs
Music scene
Beach/palm trees
People who are polite and not jaded
Good drivers who aren't laying on their horns
Good seafood

Just looking at east coastal regions. Does SC fit us you think? Any other towns/regions/states to check out? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 10:09 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,089,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingsoon33 View Post
Hey, current northern KS resident here. Wife and I are late 20s/early 30s respectively and have no kids but are trying. She is a laboratory technician and I have background in sales management and music (so definitely looking to start a band). We make 70-80k a year household.

Looking for :

Housing 150-200k No Problem
Medical/lab jobs I hear the most common decent paying jobs here are in medical.
Might want to see what they are paying compared to where you are.

Music scene Decent amount of live music at various bars during tourist season
Beach/palm trees Yep, we have that.
People who are polite and not jaded I find most people here nice. But like anywhere, you'll find those that are not as well.
Good drivers who aren't laying on their horns People cannot drive here. Seriously, been all over the country and the drivers here are truly some of the worst.
Good seafood Yep

Just looking at east coastal regions. Does SC fit us you think? Any other towns/regions/states to check out? Thanks in advance!
If you're looking for affordable housing close to a beach where it doesn't snow (well isn't supposed to), South Carolina is a good spot. Have you ever been to Charleston or Myrtle Beach? What's making you want to move?

The main industry in Myrtle Beach is Tourism and Medical. Charleston is larger and has more jobs in many different industries. Housing in Charleston is significantly more than Myrtle Beach/Horry County.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:49 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,939,911 times
You will not find "good" drivers...too many "out-of-towners" who have no idea what they're doing. It's close to mayhem on the roads! I'm being honest.

Music is in North Myrtle....great clubs and places to hear fantastic bands and dance and drink and have a blast! Folks, for the most part, are very polite..unless they're in a car. NMB has Duck's Beach club, Fat Harolds, Deckerz, Capt Archies, Moto's, and in Little River there's a nice bar called Patios, with live entertainment. They also do free Thursday night street concerts and frequent other musical events. NMB is the place for music!

You need to come down and check out the entire area to find the right fit.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:02 AM

132 posts, read 172,519 times
I had to laugh at the good drivers part. With millions of tourists and transplants that answer is a solid no. You will witness more accidents ( they call them wrecks) than you may have in your life . I always count to three before I take off on a green light cause people run the lights a lot.
As far as pay..in your field you may be ok. Lots of medical needs in area. As to sales management, maybe in hotel, restaurant industry. There are not that many large companies there.
Lots and lots and lots of opportunity's for bands and music. From Little River to Pawleys Island its bars and hotels and most have entertainment.
You can buy a house in your range but in reality the houses are closer to the $300K mark on average.
Go visit in the summer. That will answer many of your questions. Life is much slower in the winter.
Best of luck

Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,016,998 times
Yes, drivers are pretty bad in Horry County but the traffic isn't too bad compared to major metropolitan areas.

Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachangel View Post
I had to laugh at the good drivers part. With millions of tourists and transplants that answer is a solid no. You will witness more accidents ( they call them wrecks) than you may have in your life . I always count to three before I take off on a green light cause people run the lights a lot.
As far as pay..in your field you may be ok. Lots of medical needs in area. As to sales management, maybe in hotel, restaurant industry. There are not that many large companies there.
Lots and lots and lots of opportunity's for bands and music. From Little River to Pawleys Island its bars and hotels and most have entertainment.
You can buy a house in your range but in reality the houses are closer to the $300K mark on average.
Go visit in the summer. That will answer many of your questions. Life is much slower in the winter.
Best of luck
Excellent point telling folks to count to 3 after their light turns green before going. So many people run red lights here, it is amazing. And funny enough, you're likely to have someone beep their horn behind you when you do wait 3 seconds before moving.

OP - There's a ton of homes that are 3bd in your price range. And please don't let the crazy drivers here scare you away! You may here of people complain about traffic, but it is better than a large metro area. Heck of a lot better than Tampa, which is where we used to live.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:35 AM

46 posts, read 39,366 times
Only way you’ll find out if you fit is to actually come down & stay for at least a week.

Have to agree on the crazy drivers part. I wondered why my car insurance didn’t drop that much after moving from NJ. After about a month here, I figured it out. I agree with FloridaKash about the traffic. We’re near 501 that backs up at certain points, so we learned back roads & avoid it when possible. Still way less traffic than in NJ.
There are definitely houses in your price range. Have fun looking if you do decide to visit.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:27 PM

99 posts, read 140,000 times
As for driving, about half or more of the traffic lights in Myrtle don't have a left turn signal, even though you're trying to turn on a busy road, so I was told by the state DOT, it's legal to turn on yellow and red, because you have to, or you'll never get out. They wonder why there's so many accidents here. That's why you'll see so many drivers going through a red light. Also on route 17, you can drive 55 but will have to pass through many lights and the yellow light is very short. Most people down here speed extremely fast, and I come from north of boston which is supposed to have bad drivers. My auto insurance north of boston was $402 a year, here it's $820, same car and coverage. That will depend on where you're coming from to do a comparison.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY12 View Post
As for driving, about half or more of the traffic lights in Myrtle don't have a left turn signal, even though you're trying to turn on a busy road, so I was told by the state DOT, it's legal to turn on yellow and red, because you have to, or you'll never get out. They wonder why there's so many accidents here. That's why you'll see so many drivers going through a red light. Also on route 17, you can drive 55 but will have to pass through many lights and the yellow light is very short. Most people down here speed extremely fast, and I come from north of boston which is supposed to have bad drivers. My auto insurance north of boston was $402 a year, here it's $820, same car and coverage. That will depend on where you're coming from to do a comparison.

I'm going down to the DMV today to get my license changed to a SC one and register my cars. I'll ask about this left on red. According to this site https://www.drivinglaws.org/resource...ts-and-stop-37 Lefts on Red are only permitted from one way to one way.

Old 05-14-2018, 02:51 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,939,911 times
Left on red isn't "allowed"...unless it's from 1way to 1way..... It's true that traffic isn't as bad as in metro areas (I'm in N. Va...and our traffic is god-awful)...it's that so many "visitors" have no idea where they're going...they go from lane to lane, start to turn, then decide not to...stop in the middle of a 6 lane highway to "wave" someone on foot across....insanity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area