Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2018, 05:00 PM

57 posts, read 87,346 times

Advertisements

We think we have found a community we like. It is in the phase one building stage (3 phases total). Some lots have a nice pond view with a view of the neighbors back yard. A few of the lots back up to pine trees so do have privacy. We have lived in a rural area with few neighbors and lots of trees. We would like a change and see some water, but not loving seeing the neighbors and vice versa them seeing us. Anyone have any pros or cons for which lot to choose?
Also, is it worth living in a new community where construction could be going on for a couple of years or should we just buy a home in a completed one? We have waited a long time to make this move so I'm concerned that hearing construction noise 5 days a week may really effect our quality of life. Thank you so much for any ideas you have to help us make this big decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 06:06 PM

312 posts, read 516,176 times
No ideas. I bought a lot in a small community so I had limited choices here.

However, when I was in Mt Pleasant, I bought a lot backed up to wetlands. It was worth a little extra for privacy. I didn’t want on the small pond because you were looking right at your neighbor’s back yard. If you know the trees are not going to be torn down to build something else, I’d go for trees.

I was one of the first four houses in the community there, and they didn’t have model homes yet. It didn’t really bother me, and I ended up getting a great price on the house for being one of the first ones.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:21 PM

790 posts, read 1,620,210 times
We were the first house built in our community and it took a couple of years to build it out. Construction noise was not necessarily a problem except when they were building the houses right next to us and even that was not that bad since windows are usually closed all day anyway and it's quiet at night. Plus, once they were done with out street and onto the next one, there's not much impact. But, if one can't deal with lots of traffic for a couple of years while construction is going on, it's not the best choice. On the other hand, it's kind of neat and fun to watch the houses being built. And, construction is a short time compared to the amount of time you'll live there....as I tell my kids...you can put up with anything for a year or two if the payoff at the end is worthwhile.

The positive about buying an already completed home is that, assuming the development is finished, you don't have to imagine what the view will be from any angle of your house...it's plain to see. The only caution is that just because there are trees behind the house today doesn't mean there will be tomorrow. Someone may buy and develop the plot of land behind yours. But, with an already built house, you can find out if the area behind the house is part of a nature preserve or something that can't be developed.

As far as pond vs trees....on a pond, someone is always going to be able to see your back yard...just depends on how far away they are. We are on a pond and we built a screened porch with a 3 foot high "knee wall" so that when we are sitting on the porch, no one can see us (except maybe the top of our head). We don't spend too much time in the yard (most people don't because of the heat/humidity and rough texture of the grass...can't play croquet, etc). So, the porch is perfect. Other disadvantages of a pond...depending on how nervous you are about high water, ponds rise and fall with the water but don't overflow because they empty into the intracoastal waterway but some people can't deal with the fear that they water will get into their house. Ponds sometimes have erosion and, depending on the community, the homeowner may be responsible for doing something to prevent the erosion. In some communities, the HOA is responsible. Some communities allow people to catch and release fish and the area around the pond may have an easement to allow people to fish from the bank. Our community, for example, does not have an easement except for maintaining the pond. Anyone wanting to fish must do so from the common area or ask permission to fish from their neighbor's property.

Downside of building against the trees other than what I mentioned above is that you're closer to the critters and may have a greater likelihood of seeing snakes, bugs, etc. The other downside is that the trees are probably going to be pine trees with shallow roots. Pine trees fill your gutters with pine needles, drip pine sap on everything and in hurricanes are more likely to fall onto the house than hardwood trees with deeper roots.

We, obviously, chose a pond lot and are very happy with it. Our porch affords us privacy and we have great neighbors all around the pond. The water is beautiful and gives us a sense of openness that we would not have with trees pressing up against the back of our lot. But, everyone has different thoughts and priorities...that's why developers have a variety of lots!!

Old 08-13-2018, 07:37 PM

Thanks SCtoLongIsland for sharing your experiences. It's much appreciated. I' m going to check into what's on the other side of the trees - I think it's a golf course.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 PM

Wow CTyankee54 - lots of good information given - thank you! Having never lived near water I would never have thought of erosion or fishing. I am going to see what information I can get from the HOA.
Also, I like the idea of the knee wall for privacy - we are definitely going to ask if that's allowed. You brought up a bunch of good stuff to help us figure things out - thank you so much!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:35 AM

73 posts, read 110,991 times
Patt which community are you looking at if you don't mind my asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area