Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:06 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,386,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patt View Post
When considering what to upgrade in a new home what would you say you could have lived without when all was said and done. The kitchen appliances, flooring, sunroom vs screened in porch, fireplace or no? Bathrooms? Just to name a few. Thank you! So many things to think about.

granite counter tops - was nothing wrong with the original quartz wasn't stained or marked up in any way
stainless steel appliances - plain white were top of the line, had good features and nothing wrong with them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 03:27 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
It depends on what type of Carolina room you have. Some have no barrier between the rest of the house and the C room. In that case you won't be able to use the screens in the hot summer without trying to cool the great outdoors. Those that do have a barrier usually have thicker window frames, and the windows don't start until about 3 ft off the floor, that can cut down on the light that flows to the adjacent room.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:26 AM

132 posts, read 174,237 times
Funny, the very first thing I was going to say I could easily not have had was a fireplace. In an area that is hot most of the time, we used it like twice year just to look nice. More space is my # 1 need. When you move from up North to the South you are losing all your storage space. No basements, attic space is filled with the air handlers and the garage is the only space you have . Many HOAs wont allow sheds either.

Old 09-23-2018, 02:22 PM

57 posts, read 87,395 times
With some of the models we've seen storage is definitely lacking, but hopefully we can manage to get rid of a lot of stuff. That's the plan anyway. I really don't want a bonus room to store things because we may need it in the future. At this stage of our lives less is more. I just have to keep telling myself that, hopefully it will sink in lol!

Old 09-23-2018, 02:38 PM

46 posts, read 39,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachangel View Post
Funny, the very first thing I was going to say I could easily not have had was a fireplace. In an area that is hot most of the time, we used it like twice year just to look nice. More space is my # 1 need. When you move from up North to the South you are losing all your storage space. No basements, attic space is filled with the air handlers and the garage is the only space you have . Many HOAs wont allow sheds either.
One of our must haves with all the lack of storage was a 3 car garage & we found it, so put shelving units up & worked out ok.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:37 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Start clearing things out now. It takes longer than you think. There's a downsizing thread on the retirement forum with some excellent ideas. If you are going to donate clothes, tools, luggage, etc., do it now. Those shoes, that blouse, those pants that you are planning to get rid of might just be what someone else needs.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:42 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patt View Post
Thank you!! So true it's definitely related to what your lifestyle is like. We're really trying to stay within a budget so trying to d I asked about floor outlets for lamps in the great room, but they're $475 each - get out the flashlight! The 4 th bedroom is another decision do we need it? I have a very long pros and cons list.
We went through this process recently, it is daunting!
Finally boiled down to needs versus wants.
We lived in a 1950's split with limited electrical outlets and building a new home.

Wanted a SubZero Fridge but needed more outlets.

Go with the outlets, although your builder is at the uber end of the outlet installation cost of 475. Maybe you could negotiate that cost down?

Adding outlets after your build could be involved and expensive.

https://www.homes.com/blog/2015/03/electrical-outlets/

Old 09-24-2018, 05:21 PM

57 posts, read 87,395 times
Very good article! - thank you jerseyj.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area