U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-17-2008, 07:49 PM

60 posts, read 198,935 times
Default Horry County taxes ?

I was hoping some of the regulars could help me with a little info.

Browsing at some real estate listings on line of the myrtle beach area, and I wanted to get a better idea of what the property taxes some of the homes I looked at were, on Horry's site I noticed that some of the homes that were priced at about $200.000 range, had property taxes of about $800.

Could some one just give me a bit of info, I would greatly appreciate it,

1. at the end of the year what would a $200k home owner owe for property taxes, just a round about figure.

2. vehicle taxes, in my state I pay sales tax on my car, only when I purchase it, lets say 6% of the total price, then I pay about $100 a year for my license plate renewal, do you folks pay tax on your vehicle every year? is so what would a $20K car be about.

3 do you folks pay taxes on personal property, like furniture, and belongings in your home every year.

I am trying to get a feel of what a family of 5 with a 200K furnished home, and 2 vehicles valued at 40K total would pay in taxes each year.

or are there any other taxes I'm missing?

sorry about all the questions, just that I'm getting confused with some of the info on line.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 38,506 times
Default Taxes

Recent trends towards stripping taxes in SC have caused huge budget cuts and impending doom for state-supported entities. Poverty is everywhere and the crime is pretty bad all over the state....caused by the poverty and state budget cuts. (ck out the local newspapers) The SC Gov is from Fla.... need I say more? I have relatives who own homes in SC along the coast and they can no longer afford to pay that price. They are selling and jumping ship as fast as you can say "SWEET TEA". If you don't have insurance, you might want to google "HURRICANE HUGO" and the effects in SC. It's overcrowded along the coast and really everywhere in SC, due to the huge influx of out of state retirees and people who have lost jobs in northern states...and immigrants.
Can you suggest a state for me to move....where I won't mind paying taxes to improve the state?

Old 08-18-2008, 03:12 PM

Hi Sashasings

I tried to delete my post after placing it, but wasn't not able to find the delete function.

The deeper I read in the forum, the more I saw a feel of doom and gloom, coming from Myrtle Beach.

Like most people I do not mind paying my share of taxes, its just that right now I pay $16k in property taxes a year, on a home, and a small business property, what I get for that is the snow on the street plowed on to my driveway in the winter, and garbage collection for the home, they won't collect for a business.

Myrtle Beach has many positives, one mans garbage is another mans treasure, We live in Wisconsin, its cold, the heating bills are high, and most of the jobs are in Manufacturing, some Transportation, and or related.

I grew up on an Island of Greece ( Corfu ) my father wanted to move us to the US to make a better living for his family Wisconsin mind you I was to young (7) to over power him, and beat him with a board I have been back to visit, and have family there, they say the same thing, its just re worded, damn Germans are coming here with there money and buying up everything, we cant afford to live here anymore, and so on!

Myrtle Beach reminds me allot of Corfu, wouldn't you rather have me spend that $16k plus, in your State every year.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:52 PM

2 posts, read 22,527 times
Default cost of living myrtle beach

i agree with u. i live in pa and taxes are OUTRAGOUS! On a $200,000 home the property tax is about $6000 a year and thats for an average area.Where i'm from i feel like we are taxed to death!We also have high state and local tax taken out of our paychecks.What do we really get for our money that residents of myrtle beach do not.I read that the area has good schools.I'm sure they have police and fire trucks. i wish someone would answer your ? about insurance and also other cost. what are utitlies cost. what is the cost of living there? I'm thinking of moving there too.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:16 PM

Hi copeland

Maybe for me its the taxes, or mid life, they say guys go through that at around 45
or maybe I just got tired of cutting checks, I sat down once and tried to figure it all out.

Gasoline tax varies with states, as of today cheapest gallon around here is about $3.80
Heating and electric a month, $130 around now, to $250 a month last winter.
Phone bill,
Cable,
Water and sewer about $600 a year.
Property tax $6000
Home owners, about $800
Car insurance $1200
yearly registration $100 per car
State income tax 6.5%
State sales tax 5.6% in my area
SSI
Then Federal

We get about 3 to 4 nice months here a year, I cant stand winters, some people love snow, they like playing in the stuff, to me its just to gloomy,
winters are always to quiet the windows are always locked, you don't hear kids playing outside, or birds, I'm sure you know what I mean, you guys have our type of winters,

Don't get me wrong I do get to go outside in winter, and winter can be fun, like you get to snow blow the cars out, and I love having to scape windows to be able to see the snow road, its always fun to mop the melting slush from the entry way every few hours, oh this is a hoot, you know when you slip on the ice and scrape your face, or legs, or drop strait to your rear, and feel you liver ram in to your lung, I mean what the hey, but for me nothing say winter better than the frozen icicles hanging from my mustache, yea, its a slice of heaven.

Any who, maybe some one will take pity on us and give us a small box to live in near the beach ill settle for that.

Steve

Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 22,102 times
Post Need help to determine how i should buy

Hello everyone from west virginia. I am going to move to south carolinia in Oct. 2009. I am just wondering if some can help me with a couple of questions i have. First one is: If i bought a condo or house for $60,000 how much would the yearly taxes be? Will it be better for me to buy a condo or buy a house near the beach? My husband is retired and he and i are moving there and we are unsure how to buy. I am just wondering if it is better to pay the HOA fees or pay the yearly taxes for your home. How do they determine how to tax you? Please someone help. Thank You

Old 02-01-2009, 07:00 PM

543 posts, read 1,564,584 times
Y'all really need to call the Horry County tax office. It's hard to estimate what your taxes will be each year. Your tax bill is broken down with a certain percentage going to different programs.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,355,968 times
only thing I can say is usually a property near the beach will appreciate more in value than one that is not close to it.

Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM

4,080 posts, read 9,371,952 times
Here's a link that will answer your tax questions: Assessor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area