U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-13-2008, 09:51 AM

21 posts, read 30,561 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing how my money will go further in Myrtle Beach than other places (i.e. MA, where I'm from). But I found this site: PaycheckCity | Basic Paycheck Calculators and I plugged in some numbers and found that more taxes would come out of my SC biweekly paycheck than in MA.

So why does everyone say things are cheaper in SC? What am I missing? Gas, groceries and clothes appear to all be in the same ballpark as what I'd pay in MA, so aside from housing right now where is everyone seeing all the savings in cost of living? (I don't mean that sarcastically. I'm genuinely confused.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:32 AM

1,693 posts, read 6,127,118 times
This is the reason why folks say "do your homework" and "not everyone's situation is the same". What may be big savings for someone from Long Island may not be the same as someone from Lancaster.

For us, the move from NY to SC has saved us alot of money. Property taxes were reduced by about $11,000, heating & electricity costs down about $400 monthly, gasoline is 30 cents cheaper a gallon & my commute is just a fraction of what is was in NY. Car insurance was less here, also. However, my salary is less than half of what I was making up in NY, too. But that is my situation and I could not make a blanket statement for everyone.

My wife says groceries are about the same as up north and clothing may vary so we shop around. The big thing for me is that the clothes that I do buy have much less fabric and bulk because I do not have to shovel snow!!!

Old 09-14-2008, 03:50 PM

4,088 posts, read 9,620,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writer01 View Post
I keep hearing how my money will go further in Myrtle Beach than other places (i.e. MA, where I'm from). But I found this site: PaycheckCity | Basic Paycheck Calculators and I plugged in some numbers and found that more taxes would come out of my SC biweekly paycheck than in MA.

So why does everyone say things are cheaper in SC? What am I missing? Gas, groceries and clothes appear to all be in the same ballpark as what I'd pay in MA, so aside from housing right now where is everyone seeing all the savings in cost of living? (I don't mean that sarcastically. I'm genuinely confused.)
It's property taxes that are lower than most other states. If you are looking for less taken out of your paycheck then maybe look at states that don't have income tax. I moved here from NJ and there are a few additional costs to live here but auto insurance and property tax are a lot less.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 PM

29 posts, read 67,873 times
Writer--Check 'Sperling's cost of Living' and Salary.com's cost of living. Salary.com calculates cost of living vs. income adjustment so you get a better idea of what's up, what true value your move has.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:45 PM

20 posts, read 66,871 times
I also think that what we tend to say is that the cost of living here is less than Florida. Now Florida has no state taxes, so if that's an issue, you may save money. But housing, gas, insurance, and property taxes are more in Florida...at least that's what I've heard and found in most instances. We also have quite a few months out of the year that are so temperate you won't have heating or AC costs. Gas is about 20 cents cheaper in SC than in NC. If you buy a home on the outskirts of the beach, like in Little River, property taxes are so low its almost unbelievable. I pay as much for my car in property taxes as I do for my condo. Both are quite low. Our sales tax is 6%, too.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:30 AM

882 posts, read 2,287,887 times
Just so everyone realizes it...the original posts were made over 18 months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area