U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 01:56 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,227,034 times
I agree Pawleys Dude -

You also have to remember there are a ton of people out of work, so there could be 300 people applying for that 1 job. It is also seasonal, so what happens if you get a job then get laid off - the max for SC unemployment is not that high.

I find it so funny that everyone thinks they will get a job - I worked for the same company for 26 years, they closed. I have actually changed my resume because I couldn't get a job - still haven't. I was an Accounting Supervisor, did A/P, A/R & Payroll, pretty much everything. I have applied for jobs that would have been a perfect fit but no calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 PM

158 posts, read 384,850 times
I'm just wondering how people live there then???........minimum wage earning kids (or adults for that matter), house payments, rent, all lives essentials...... I guess you have to have Daddy's and Mommies with $$$$ to get you by???

I guess the guys/gals with a decent resume, get pushed aside by the sounds of it....

I don't know.

Its rough everywhere, I know.

Hopefully everyone can survive the hard times and it'll all get better soon!

Rob

Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,227,034 times
They way we live here is - our house is paid for, when we sold our 2 houses in NJ we paid for our house here, didn't buy more then we needed. My husband does have a job.

So we get buy fine, but my husband also had a job here before we moved.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:31 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,397,645 times
Quote:
I'm just wondering how people live there then???...
Keep in mind that a huge segment of the local population is retired, relative to most other areas. There is very little local industry in the conventional sense. Most of the "industry" in this area is in support of tourists or retirees. That means things like restaurants, gift shops, many small shops in general since both tourists and affluent retirees spend a lot of time shopping. Retail sales have taken a big hit during this recession, and a lot of those have gone under or just hanging on. Tons of the usual small biz's catering to retirees - lawn care, cleaning services, etc. With an aging population, health care professionals also normally do well and are in demand in this area. During a normal economy, construction related businesses are an exception, but those have pretty much dried up for the present time. At one time, it seemed like one out of every three people down here were real estate agents, but a lot of them are retirees with a second career. Currently, that's not a good place to be if you depend upon your commissions to live on. The rest of the locals just find their little piece of the pie. Some thrive, some hang on. Regardless, it's easier to do in a strong economic period than during a recession.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:27 AM

777 posts, read 1,570,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine1229 View Post
Camping Mom - I am also in the Hospitality industry .. where are you located now ? (upstate NY is always a "broad area")

We live about an hour from the city - Hudson Valley area.

I know that i will be in for "sticker shock" when I go down there as far as employment. I actually freelance now as a Meeting Planner so I am crossing my fingers that the economy gets a little better and I will continue to have a job.

Myrtle Beach is all tourism so I can't imagine that you won't be able to find a job ... however I haven't actually looked.

Good luck !
We too are in the Hudson Valley-tourism is still doing very well here since there's lots of people who in the Tri-State area doing staycations. I have my degree-but never looked for a job here in it because most of them pay you the same whether you've got the degree or high school diploma. I did a internship at a local hotel as night auditor-got paid $7.75hr. My 19 year old made more as a waitress. Heck I make more now as a school bus driver.

The wages have always been lower than our area-but let's face it-in our area a $9 a hour job isn't going to pay for anything around here since the cost of living is so high. Heck my last heat and electric bill was over $1000 for 2 months! That's why we want to move down to MB when the time is right. Love the area, but like PawleysDude said-we are going to wait til things turn around, we are in no rush at all. MB will still be there when things start turning around again. We are going to keep watching the job market and see how things go there too. He's got all the certifications for the HVAC-R so that will help when we decide to actively job hunt. That's something everyone needs-everyone has furnaces/heatpumps, refrigeration, and a/c. Can't imagine that industry is totally depressed as there's a demand for skill technicians.

When we get there we get there. When we do-it'll be great!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:57 AM

158 posts, read 384,850 times
I was just thinking a little more on this topic of moving......

If a person/family could move to the MB area and get by for a while, until these rough times pick up a little..... wouldn't they be better off already moving/and living there, than the people that are "waiting" for the economy to get better??

My vision on this is that when the economy picks up the pace a little and jobs/businesses start their hiring again, then "everybody" that wanted to move and didn't, would then decide to.

Then...people would be griping about how EVERYONE is moving there and it would be even more of a mad-house trying to get a job. (but, I guess it would be good that there would be jobs!)

I know it is kind of risky to think about doing something like this, especially if you DO have a secure job at the time. But certain people that are looking to move there, just might have enough funds in the bank to get by there a little while, to possibly get there foot in the door first, and get a better job.

And I do believe that alot of businesses see it as being risky to hire someone from out of state, before they move. (I know some job titles will relocate and some companies/businesses will do that).

So already living there, then applying for jobs, maybe......just maybe that might give you a step or two a head of those NOT living there..????

Don't know???? Just a different perspective than I have read anywhere yet!

Good Day People!

Rob

Old 05-24-2009, 01:36 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,012,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
I agree with PawleysDude - there are NO jobs in Myrtle Beach, and if you are applying for one you are one of hundreds that are. I have friends that are having no luck finding a job anywhere.

Someone was looking for an Receptionist and over 300 applications came in, that was including people walking in off the street. Another company had a job listed on line and they had to pull the ad because of all the response.

I would not move here unless you have a secure job in place.

Just checked out Career Builder as a previous poster mention, to me that isn't a lot of jobs, some of those aren't real jobs especially when it says Nationwide. The other jobs seem more seasonal, restaurants, hotel and so on.

I agree! I was very very lucky to have landed a pretty nice job in Shalotte with a great company but my husband could not find anything. I sure wish it would have worked out.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,240 times
Default looking for the same...

interesting, my husband & I are currently looking in the carolina forest area. we just recently visited & looked at homes. We are from upstate NY & he is a driver with a CDL also...We have kids ages 5,9 & 14. We did tons of research and found that Murrells Inlet, which is beautiful & ideal, is much more expensive. As far as schools, Carolina Forest Schools have excellent ratings, better than St James, according to greatschools.net, a school rating website Ive been using. Im interested to know why someone above mentioned the schools are not so good. They are the best anywhere down the coast from Va to Fl.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:33 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,397,645 times
Quote:
They are the best anywhere down the coast from Va to Fl...
Glynis - Welcome to the City-Data forums. It's a lively place...

I'm not personally familiar with Carolina Forest schools or with greatschools.net, but I would have concerns about any website that rated SC schools that high. There are some excellent schools in SC, but overall, we generally do not grade out well. We also have some of the worst schools in the nation. If you have never seen the documentary, Corridor of Shame, it's worth watching if you are seriously considering a move to SC. Any state that would permit these conditions to exist has serious education-related issues. The last time I saw the numbers, SC ranked last in the nation in the graduation rate from public high schools.

Our politicians continue to talk a good game, but their track record speaks for itself. Currently, our governor is refusing to accept $700 million in stimulus funds targeted for education. Regardless of what one thinks about stimulus money, it's going elsewhere if we don't accept it. SC is the only state to refuse this money.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:51 AM

245 posts, read 467,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynis442 View Post
interesting, my husband & I are currently looking in the carolina forest area. we just recently visited & looked at homes. We are from upstate NY & he is a driver with a CDL also...We have kids ages 5,9 & 14. We did tons of research and found that Murrells Inlet, which is beautiful & ideal, is much more expensive. As far as schools, Carolina Forest Schools have excellent ratings, better than St James, according to greatschools.net, a school rating website Ive been using. Im interested to know why someone above mentioned the schools are not so good. They are the best anywhere down the coast from Va to Fl.
Your whole post is not true . I looked in both Carolina Forrest and St jAMES. We got a much nicer (and brand new ) place in Murrells Inlet for less money.St James is rated very high....and my kid wont be stuck in a trailer ...he has a classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area