Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 07:58 PM

4 posts, read 89,792 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if the water at Myrtle Beach is clear or muddy/murky? I've heard alot of beaches tend to be murky due to the wave action like the Atlantic churns up. But there are a few places where wave action is less, so the water tends to be clearer. I was wondering if this is the case in M.B.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 08:29 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,403 times
It tends to be on the murky side... on a sunny day you may be able to see about a foot or so down but that is about it. Nothing like the carribean but also better than the NE Atlantic ocean. The water is also saltier than it was back up on Long Island but very clean.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:46 AM

28 posts, read 137,798 times
Baylovers is right about the water clarity, but just to elaborate:

The wave action isnt really an issue - there are a lot of places that have much bigger waves and still have crystal clear water- Hawaii or Australia are obvious examples.

The Strand lies along the low country.. as such you have a large amount of sediment that runs into the ocean along the SC coast line. This is made even worse by the tannins that are released into the fresh water inland. If you go to look at the old rice pantations or inland waterways you will see water that looks like tea!

This is perfectly safe and is not a product of pollution. Sadly it does mean that if you are looking for decent diving you will need to take a boat out to some of the wrecks as shore dives are definately out.

It also accounts in part for the frequency of shark "attacks" that result in very superficial wounds. With the murky water it is easy for a shark to bite a flapping foot mistaking it for a fish - then swim off when it realises the foot is attached to something much larger.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:33 AM

15 posts, read 87,151 times
Here it is the end of November in Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach. The water is VERY clear...Fishing this past week was great with live shrimp. The trout fishing and Black Drum were hiting hard. Fishing this time of year in Myrtle Beach and Murrells Inlet has to do more with the bait. If you can find it,you can get some good fishing. The weather also has so much to do with type fishing you can do. If the ocean is not too ruff, you can get sheep head or black drum from the rocks. Fishing back in the creeks for flounder and trout when the wind blows. Get some live shrimp and give the Myrtle Beach/Murrells Inlet area out. Tight line to all.......Capt. Shannon Currie Murrells Inlet/Myrtle Beach SC

Old 12-01-2008, 01:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
It really depends on the weather systems! If there have been no storms recently, the water tends to be pretty clear--not as clear as the Caribbean, of course, but better than Nags Head or Va. Beach!
If a storm has churned up the surf, then it's murkier--it's up to Mother Nature!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM

4 posts, read 89,792 times
Hey guys, thanks for the great input. I would like the calm, clear water, but the rough surf would be awesome too!! Have a great day everybody!

Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 AM

37 posts, read 169,080 times
Its beautiful. The surf is great and beaches are better than Florida, Gulf Coast, or Long Beach beaches. It's a perfect beach.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 40,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy7 View Post
Its beautiful. The surf is great and beaches are better than Florida, Gulf Coast, or Long Beach beaches. It's a perfect beach.
Um...ok....I imagine you must be local to SC, because only a SC resident would say that its beaches are prettier than the Gulf Coast.

My parents rent yearly in Folly Beach, SC (outside of Charleston). My in-laws own a house on the Gulf Coast between Panama City and Destin. The Gulf Coast beaches are *MUCH* prettier. To say that the SC coast even compares is a gross exaggeration.

I live in NC, so I personally like having the Atlantic so nearby, but seriously, the Gulf has the most beautiful white sand beaches and *crystal* clear water. It's the closest you'll get to the Caribbean clearness in the States. It looks like bath water.

Folly Beach is very, very murky. In fact we just returned from there today, and man is it murky. I found this forum thread because I came home wondering why and googled "why are SC beaches so murky?".

We've been to Bald Head Island quite a bit, and it's not nearly as murky as Folly, but it still holds no candle to Gulf Coast. If you want clear water, go there.

Oh, and by the way, the Atlanta really has no more waves than the Gulf. In my years of going to both places, I see no difference. Both are adequate. You can surf both, but you'll be disappointed.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,988,586 times
I've seen it both ways...depends on the seas and weather! If the ocean's been rough, it will stir up sediment...but when it's been calm, it's MUCH clearer than the Outer Banks (which are murky ALL the time!)

Old 06-14-2010, 03:19 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,670 times
I come from the Jersey shore, and when I saw the water at MB, I couldn't get over how clear and blue-green it was. It looked like Bahamas water. My husband said it looked like Jersey water but I disagreed. Much clearer and more beautiful, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area