Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,730 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have documentation that Disney World could have been east of Orangeburg in South Carolina?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 10:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,679 times
Default Disney in SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock1965 View Post
Does anyone have documentation that Disney World could have been east of Orangeburg in South Carolina?
The original site selected was around Lake Marion. They wanted this site because there was already a body of water (they had to BUILD Lake Buena Vista) and it was right in the middle of interstates 26 and 95. This site was also directly across continent from Anaheim which would make the parks 'bookends'. I remember when I was a kid in the late 60s reading about it in the papers. The biggest problem was the local residents were more concerned about the sport of fishing and selling their lake homes than the economic boom that would have accompanied it. The counties involved, Orangeburg, Calhoun, and Clarendon are among the poorest counties in the state now. Lake Marion is the same lake that Clyburn wants to waste money building a bridge over to nowhere so it can be named after him.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 PM

239 posts, read 701,772 times
i hate to bust your bubble but after extensive reasearch disney is NOT coming to sc and have never had plans to come here...neither is six flags... paramont....or any other amusment park.. people heard about the new theme park in Myrtle Beach and the rumors spread it was very simple to find this out and even snopes debunked it sorry to be the bearer of bad news .....

Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmeltdown View Post
i hate to bust your bubble but after extensive reasearch disney is NOT coming to sc and have never had plans to come here...neither is six flags... paramont....or any other amusment park.. people heard about the new theme park in Myrtle Beach and the rumors spread it was very simple to find this out and even snopes debunked it sorry to be the bearer of bad news .....
Good news to me. Lol.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 PM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Good news to me. Lol.
Great news, the property taxes will remain low, so will the prices and so will be peace and quiet and the clean air.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:08 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,333 times
And by now we all know that the Hard Rock Park failed, was closed for a while and has since been bought by someone else and is now open as something else, but the name escapes me at the moment. It does sound better than HRP was, though, with more stuff for smaller children and more reasonable rates.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,191 times
The new name for HRP is FreeStyle

Old 10-13-2009, 08:19 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,543,280 times
We can only hope that this iteration is successful. It's far enough away from most MB development to not bother too many locals, and close to the airport. A popular, successful theme park would be a great feather in the MB Metro's (and the state's) cap!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:58 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
The new name for HRP is FreeStyle
Thank you! If my life depended on my coming up with that name yesterday, I wouldn't be here today!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Location: American People's Democratic Capitalist Republic of South Carolina
176 posts, read 454,219 times
Default Myrtle Beach

Couple days ago I was in MB and in the dark I discovered some kind of development which seems to be a size of a small city. Is this where new MB downtown is being built? It's a bit like the one in NE Columbia, but seems to be a larger one. I think MB may become quite a large city in the future. It still takes about 3 hours to get there from Columbia. Unlike Columbia most of the time, MB is humid most of the time. Good place to visit.

Attached is the photo of a oceanfront house for sale in MB, which by my opinion is somehow overpriced at $4,9M. If you buy it, your yearly property tax bill will probably be in the $100K range. :-)

Regarding Disney, unfortunately, they are still considering the location east of OB, towards CT and MB. Orangeburg county is in the Top 10 Poorest in the U.S. and one of the most affordable. As you all know quite a bunch people (and businesses) from California and Nevada are moving to the East Coast due to high unemployment there. If you have noticed, California is becoming more humid, more hurricanes develop in the Pacific lately, while SC is becoming drier and hurricanes tend to hit the North-East. Everything's shifting towards North and West. There is a good reason why MB and Columbia and the rest of SC and NC are becoming popular. Bad news for homeowners who can't afford higher property taxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Disney in South Carolina-ocean-blvd.-house-sale-myrtle-beach  

Last edited by neonrider; 10-28-2009 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area