U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM

826 posts, read 865,731 times
Default What is it like for Whites & blacks in South Carolina?

Moving from California in another year and not sure what to expect. I usually see "everyone" (blacks, whites, chinese, mexicans, indians) -its very multicultural here -on a daily basis. So I know it will be a culture shock when I move to SC. I am moving with my love to buy a house and retire and live a much more quieter life. We are either looking at Andrews or Conway (he is white and I am black). So I already know..for some people that may not be "accepted" in the South as it is on the West coast ( they could care less here).

How are the jobs? I know cost of living is really low..try buying a house in California...(try working 3 jobs)...houses here 1600 sq ft cost about $500,000 and up and its not even NEW!

Is there any tech companies in SC? I work at a tech firm (close to Yahoo and Google) and looking to commute to any large city there to make good money.

Any comments will be helpful. Not looking to offend or make anyone mad, but would like real honest answers...not comments based on bad experiences with one person or race. I know there are alot of idiots out there.

Sunnnee
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 PM

30,790 posts, read 35,834,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
Moving from California in another year and not sure what to expect. I usually see "everyone" (blacks, whites, chinese, mexicans, indians) -its very multicultural here -on a daily basis. So I know it will be a culture shock when I move to SC. I am moving with my love to buy a house and retire and live a much more quieter life. We are either looking at Andrews or Conway (he is white and I am black). So I already know..for some people that may not be "accepted" in the South as it is on the West coast ( they could care less here).

How are the jobs? I know cost of living is really low..try buying a house in California...(try working 3 jobs)...houses here 1600 sq ft cost about $500,000 and up and its not even NEW!

Is there any tech companies in SC? I work at a tech firm (close to Yahoo and Google) and looking to commute to any large city there to make good money.

Any comments will be helpful. Not looking to offend or make anyone mad, but would like real honest answers...not comments based on bad experiences with one person or race. I know there are alot of idiots out there.

Sunnnee
As a person with a mother from that part of the state, I would say try Myrtle Beach, only because there seem to be more Northerners in that area and I think they mave a military presence there too. While it had a let's just say "interesting" past, it seems to have changed a lot.

Another area close by that might be of interest is the Robeson County NC area. It is a county with a high amount of Native Americans(the tri racial Lumbee Tribe), Blacks and Whites. It's a county that borders that part of SC and is close to Fort Bragg Army base, which is in Fayetteville NC.

I will say that the South isn't as bad as people think in that regard. You will probably get stares, but the people aren't as bad as you might think. For instance, my wife, who was my GF at time went to a small town in NC. While I was alert, the people there were actually not too bad. My sister lives in charlotte and says her church has quite a few interracial couples. So, it depends on where you are too. You'll be surprised how much that goes on outwardly and "on the low".

Old 01-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Thank you so much. He is originally from Andrews, SC (small town) and he said there were many when he lived there. His friend that still lives there said its not that bad, and people are just people...either stupid or just plain don't know that life has evolved without them. I am very excited. Life in California is great, but its expensive...people lost houses here likes hot cakes. We have neighborhoods that are simply just "empty". We even have bus tours in some small towns that were hit hardest ( #1 in the US) Modesto, Stockton, Tracy - that simply lost their butts. People moved there to get a house and simply commute to work (that's another mess) and they lost their a--es when the value of their house came down to their "true" value.

Andrews, from what his friend said, is simply the same and not much growth or change, so we will probably end up in Conway where its more closer to Myrtle Beach.

Thank you for your candid descriptions and honesty. I know with military bases around, you get more "people of other cultures" in the area. In California, its just standard. We have everyone and you trip out..so that is what I am just use to.

Sunnnee

Old 01-09-2009, 02:30 PM

272 posts, read 445,692 times
One thing to consider about Conway (close to where I grew up) is the traffic which is very very bad all year long but particularly in the warmer months. There is a new interstate to be built that should help a lot, but that is years away.

Just be prepared to spend some time looking for a lot of back ways to get around.

And the land and housing are very expensive by SC standards.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the tip. Yeah we have been viewing all the new construction for sale there. Houses like that here in California will go for $650,000 minimum to start. Yeah, traffic here, can't be any worse then California..especially in the Bay Area (around all the tech companies: Google, Yahoo, MSN..etc)

Old 01-12-2009, 08:16 AM

543 posts, read 1,564,584 times
Just wanted to advise you about Andrews - there is nothing there. Honestly. The only good thing about Andrews is that you are closer to Charleston. A positive would be that land/real estate is pretty cheap there.
The negative would be that the people are not so inviting to outsiders (they are even not as inviting to those who live there unless you are in a particular social class), the town is in debt because they are not capable of handling funds and there is nothing to do. Andrews has a higher african american population there.

Conway is a nice little town. The only negative there would be the traffic on Hwy 501 during the summer.

Actually, Andrews could learn a thing or two from Conway.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:33 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,767,550 times
I have to re-iterate the cultural remoteness of Andrews. The area you're talking about - near the coast, but not on the coast - is probably the poorest area of the state, which would probably put it reasonably high on the list of poorest places in America.

You might say Conway is an exception, due to its proximity to the attractions of Myrtle Beach, and its steady growth rate.

Last edited by le roi; 01-12-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 AM

272 posts, read 445,692 times
AND it's in the same county as MB, so the tax money helps. But once you cross a county line going inland it's like going through the stargate.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,767,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
But once you cross a county line going inland it's like going through the stargate.
haha, no kidding. I noticed the other day that Lee County... the county government.. doesn't even have a website. Clarendon and Marlboro both rely on the state's .gov website to provide them with space, so they have no real functionality, they are about as useful as a brochure.

In reference to the O.P., its hard to have a "tech industry" when your local governments can't even provide something basic like a county web site. The coastal cities themselves - Myrtle Beach, Charleston, maybe Georgetown, do resemble the 21st century somewhat.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:35 AM

543 posts, read 1,564,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I have to re-iterate the cultural remoteness of Andrews. The area you're talking about - near the coast, but not on the coast - is probably the poorest area of the state, which would probably put it reasonably high on the list of poorest places in America.

You might say Conway is an exception, due to its proximity to the attractions of Myrtle Beach, and its steady growth rate.
Agreed. I have family in Andrews and some are business owners. I spent some summers there and frequently visit family there. It is a poor area. Most of the businesses have closed and the downtown area looks horrible. There is nothing for young people to do and pretty much nothing for older people to do either.

Conway is an exception. I think if Andrews could revitalize downtown to look like Conway, it would be a much better place visually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area