Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 01:16 AM

16 posts, read 31,246 times

Advertisements

First off I wanted to say hi to all and thanks for the time you take to read this.

I'm a 24yr old originally from the Pittsburgh area and I'm looking to relocate to Myrtle Beach. Ideally I want to live no more than 5-10 minutes from the beach and the nightlife that Myrtle Beach offers. I do have some questions that I hope some of you can answer:

1. I like being around people, I enjoy crowded bars and nightlife scenes. I went to school at Penn State so I'm well acquainted to crowds in bars. I know everything is fun while 'in season' but was curious if the place pretty much completely dies during the offseason?

I Know CCU is close by so maybe that keeps some of the nightlife scene alive? Basically...how dead does it get in the offseason, and at what point in the fall is it pretty much 'dead'? I'm picturing basically a ghost town with no young adults and that is a big drawback to me.

2. Jobs. I don't have a job down there yet. I was curious as to how bad this will effect my apartment hunt. I have a decent chunk saved to use as a reserve but I'd rather not drain that while not being able to find a job. I have an accounting degree (though no experience), retail management experience, as well as a bit of bartending experience. Could it possibly be a struggle?

3. Are there any known condos or apartments known that will rent as short as 3-month or month to month leases during the summer months and into fall? This would be ideal but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

Hopefully some of you can provide insight for me...I'm sure I'll have some more questions that I will post in here as I think of them. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,861,044 times
Hi matpa.
I've only had a place in Garden City, just South of MB, for a year but I'll happily share my observations. The place is VERY dead after September through the beginning of March. Perhaps it is just the places we go during off season, but the only folks we see out are retirees. Now my husband and I are in our 30s and not into the same stuff single 24-year-olds are but hopefully this will give you a little insight. With regards to jobs, every single person I hear says there are no opportunities. If you were my little brother this is what I would tell you -- Look for a job before you move ANYWHERE! Call a temp agency and see if they can get you placed at least temporarily so that you have something to get you jump started. Through your work colleagues you will learn about the places to go and the dangerous places to stay out of. You will also begin to build a network to help your career. If I was 24 with a terrific degree from Penn State I'd be looking at Tampa, Miami or the California coast but that's just me. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM

344 posts, read 723,204 times
Hi matpa,

Congrats on your graduation from Penn State. I've lived here for 4 years in Murrells Inlet which is about 20 minutes south of Myrtle Beach. I am old enough to be your father.

I would agree with Tinabean in that there are probably enough nightspots here to keep someone your age busy June thru October, but the place dies after that. The Grand Strand has within the past 10-15 years has attracted a large number of retirees primarily from the northeast, so this area particularly off-season, is decidedly aged, say 55+.

The job market is nonexistent here, primarily with only those types of jobs that cater to tourists and retirees. People fight over $7 an hour jobs.

The good side is that if you can find a job here the cost of living is very reasonable as far as rentals, taxes, etc. And coming from Pennsylvania (which is where I started out some 56 years ago) the weather here is great. Usually 70's+ from late March thru October and you'll make it thru the winter with a hoodie.

For Fatherly advice (indulge me here cause my son doesn't listen to me all that much), I'd suggest taking that accounting degree to a place like Charlotte (banking headquarters) or maybe Raleigh/Durham (research headquarters) which would offer more jobs, still decent weather, year-round nightlife, good college sports, and you could still hit the beach on the weekends in a 3 hour drive.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:37 PM

16 posts, read 31,246 times
Thanks for the advice so far. My biggest concern was really how dead it gets in the offseason and it seems like that was a legit one. I understand where you're all coming from with the job thing, but as for right now, I just want to live near the beach and enjoy some time. I've been saying I was going to do it since I graduated high school and it just never happened, so even if I only come for 4-5 months, I still plan to come down and enjoy the time. I'm not a fan of putting stuff off that I want to do...only live once.

I may move on to florida or other places after that, but I think I'm going to use myrtle as a stepping stone and have some fun during the summer while getting away from home. If I could pick up a bartending or waitering job I should be ok (I'm hoping). The tricky part is finding somewhere that I can rent for a relatively short amount of time. Any suggestions, or should I just start hitting up craigslist?

Thanks again!

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,242,916 times
Matpa, when I was your age, I wanted to move to MB and enjoy the beach. Maybe work a temp job or just something to bring in some money. I regret that I never did that. So, my advice to you is that you will work a long time. Move to the beach, pick up whatever legit jobs you can find, and enjoy yourself. Just be careful while enjoying. There will always be job opportunities and when you decide that you want to move on, then that will be the time to do it. I would look at craigslist for a yearly rental, but you will find one easily enough. It may not be as easy to find a job, but something will turn up for you. Do it now--don't wait until retirement, like I am planning on, to live at the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area