Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 11:00 PM

51 posts, read 208,883 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 21 year old guy who is moving to SC late this fall. I am driving down to visit in august, so I will visit both areas to get a feel for them. However, I would like a local's opinion on which area would be better for me. I can afford $500-$650 a month rent and I dont need to live right on the ocean , I dont mind driving 20-30 minutes to get to a beach. I dont need a fancy place in the best neighborhood either, im not picky about that stuff. I am just wondering which area (from your perspective) would better suit me. I just want to go to a beach, have shopping (not a lot just a walmart and small stores are fine for me), restaurants, a movie theatre, and younger women (early 20's). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 07:44 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
You didn't mention your job situation. If you will need to find work, consider yourself fortunate if you can find anything above minimum wage in either location. Depending upon your skills/education, Chasn probably offers more potential in the way of a true career occupation.

$650/month will not get you on the beach in either city, but you should be able to find something within 30 minutes. Groceries and Walmarts are plentiful in either place, along with a multitude of trendy, upscale shops. Southerners and tourists luv to shop.

Younger women? Once again, my vote would be Chasn. MB is very much a retirement community, with a few million tourists thrown in. Chasn is a more vibrant, cosmopolitan environment and usually more appealing to the younger crowd.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times
Charleston definitely. We bought a place in Garden City, South of Myrtle, and the place dies in the winter with only the retirees around. I wish we had bought around Charleston but the beaches are better where we are. There just isn't enough employment to keep young people in the area year-round, based on what I've seen. Charleston has several universities/colleges and everyone I know who went to college in Charleston just loved it.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 AM

267 posts, read 1,019,474 times
I have lived in both locations, but I give my vote to Charleston.

While Myrtle Beach has no shortage of young single women, most of them here are for a vacation. While the economy may be bad in both places, Charleston has much better career opportunities. Myrtle Beach is heavily tourist based and has a lot of low wage tourist sector jobs.

Myrtle beach will give you a nicer pad for the money (much closer to the ocean) than if you were in downtown Charleston and for what you are looking to spend every month you may have to move out towards Summerville to get one in a decent area.

If I were you I would also consider Savannah Ga. In my opinion it is a much better night life than Charleston, but is a nice historic city like Charleston. If I were you I would check this out over Myrtle Beach. It is a two hour drive south of Charleston.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 7,210 times
Hmmm...I currently reside in the Charleston area and have been living here over 10 years, originally from NJ. I must say, I absolutely love it- it's beautiful and you would probably love it as well. Apartments are fairly priced and you would be able to find something really nice for your price range. On the flip side, I am looking for info on living in N. MB as a new job may soon take me that way. Good luck in your decision and if you get any info about MB kindly send it my way!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:22 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,131,225 times
Charleston.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 7,128 times
Default single lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSD514 View Post
I am a single, 21 year old guy who is moving to SC late this fall. I am driving down to visit in august, so I will visit both areas to get a feel for them. However, I would like a local's opinion on which area would be better for me. I can afford $500-$650 a month rent and I dont need to live right on the ocean , I dont mind driving 20-30 minutes to get to a beach. I dont need a fancy place in the best neighborhood either, im not picky about that stuff. I am just wondering which area (from your perspective) would better suit me. I just want to go to a beach, have shopping (not a lot just a walmart and small stores are fine for me), restaurants, a movie theatre, and younger women (early 20's). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
i would suggest moving to ravenal,sc about 20 mi from chas. good luck lived in chas. for 40 some yrs.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:31 PM

68 posts, read 107,573 times
I lived in the Charleston area for 23 years. It is a beautiful city, and there is always something to do, day or night. And with all the colleges, there should be an abundance of ladies in your age specific group. Great night life in Charleston. Summerville is about 20 miles west of Charleston, but has grown tremendously and has everything you would want. Takes no time at all to get anywhere, because all interstate mostly. All Beaches are within 30-40 minutes. Don't even think about Ravenel. Way to small, really hardly can be called a town, it's just a rural crossroad off of 17 south, towards Edisto or Savannah. To far to drive to get to anything and really not a place for a single guy. Let us know where you choose and Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2013, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,714 times
Hi,
From the way you've described your needs wants & lifestyle, Myrtle Beach would be much more affordable than Chas. The latter is tourist laden year round. There are narrow one way streets with heavy traffic surrounding the city, on bridges & interstates. There is also frequent flooding in downtown areas & it's quite windy. Chas has exquisite shopping, food & is laden with historic, cultural things to see & do, but none of it comes cheap. The beaches aren't as accessible as MB due to residential areas that you have to go thru to get there.
If you're leaning towards Chas, check out Goose Creek or W.Ashley where you may possibly find a room or rental within your means.
However, from what you've said you are a man with simple needs.There are many affordable areas south, north & west of MB that would suit your needs. Check out Conway, Socastee, Murrels Inlet &*Surfside. They all have basic shopping & reasonable housing within your price range. As for girls, there are many who live there full time & work at hospitals, malls, hotels, spas or attend Coastal Carolina University. It is a diverse population of ages due to the many new attractions & developments.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:06 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Yikes, this thread is years old. Good info, but the OP has likely long since made his decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area