U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 AM

3 posts, read 10,953 times

Advertisements

My husband, kids and I are relocating. We are considering Myrtle Beach and wanted to know if it was a good place for young families or more of a vacation spot and a place to retire. How are the schools?Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:00 PM

2,321 posts, read 4,598,406 times
Wow, that's a tough question. I'm not sure I can define a family-centered town. Of course MB is a huge vacation spot, with somewhere around 13 million visitors every year. That naturally impacts everyone living in the area, both positively and negatively. The focus of area chambers of commerce is almost totally on tourism, which is about the only industry in town. It's anybody's guess what the MB city gov't is focused on, but realistically, the actual city of MB makes up only a relatively small part of the general MB/Grand Strand area. I would not recommend relocating within the actual city of MB. Retirees also comprise a large percentage of residents, at least compared to most towns. Overall, that's not a big impact unless you enjoy being able to drive the speed limit in the passing lane.

For a long time, the MB area has been considered an attractive place to live, when means it is now over-built and over-paved, destroying much of the natural beauty that originally made it attractive. Regardless, there are many families living in the area, and for them, life goes on as usual, which means focusing on the family. Unless you are considering living very close to the beach, most of your prospective neighbors will almost certainly be full-time residents, family-oriented and focused on about the same things that most neighborhoods everywhere focus on. Your neighborhood HOA will be run almost totally by retirees. That can get a little annoying but you just have to learn to ignore them.

If you don't mind heat, humidity and crowds, and you're not freaked out by an occasional snake or gator (see this thread), it's a decent place to live. Of course, living here means that your governor is Mark Sanford, with all the baggage that brings with it. Schools are another story. I'll let someone with school-aged kids speak to that.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 07-01-2009 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: corrected link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area