U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:51 PM

4,286 posts, read 13,366,954 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what the laws are for this area? Age requirements, where someone is permitted to ride etc...I searched the internet but not much luck. Mostly sites telling stories of kids getting killed on them. I'm having a big problem with a neighbor that is using an ATV to babysit her grandson but in the meantime it's bothering all the neighbors. More importantly, it's very dangerous to the child. He races up and down our street several times a day, very fast. We have asked him to slow down twice and he does for a day and then goes back to racing again the next day. He's maybe 7 or 8 years old and small for his size. His grandparents are raising him and most of the neighbors already don't speak to them (including me) because the grandmother is very nasty and thinks she's right about everything. She does not discipline the kid at all and in most cases it's none of my business but in this case he's going to get hurt and I feel someone has to stop this. Any suggestions? I live outside city limits and obviously not in a sub-division, so I don't know if the police would do anything about it. Although I really don't want to involve them but may have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 05:28 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,638,034 times
I found this. Doesn't look there are many laws in SC.

About.com: http://www.atvsafety.gov/state/southcarolina.html

Old 07-21-2009, 05:29 AM

343 posts, read 621,135 times
I don't have the information to help you. But, I would suggest that the local police would know about laws, age requirements, etc.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I found this. Doesn't look there are many laws in SC.

About.com: http://www.atvsafety.gov/state/southcarolina.html
Thanks. I fond that site but like you said, not much info. there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
I don't have the information to help you. But, I would suggest that the local police would know about laws, age requirements, etc.
I called them last night and they said they would call back but have not. I'm not calling to file a formal complaint, I just want info. at this point.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,638,034 times
You might try calling the DMV. I know this child would not be permitted to drive a golf cart, so it doesn't make any sense that he should be able to drive any type of motorized vehicle, especially on a street. (Not that laws always make sense.) They may be able to give you some more information about the ATV. I looked on their website but didn't see anything, so you might try calling them. Just a thought......

Old 07-22-2010, 07:04 PM

Bringing this back up again because the kid dumped the four wheeler in the pond behind our houses several months ago and the engine was shot. He of course could have easily been killed and it was the second time he has done this. He also flipped it once in another neighbors driveway. So now, his grandparents bought him a new one and he is up and down the road probably 50 times or more a day. It's just about 9pm and he's still doing it. Unbelievable! I almost think they want him to get hurt or worse. Why would you give a young child something like that, not supervise him plus allow him to drive on pavement? He also wears flip flops...I don't know much about four wheelers but aren't they supposed to be on dirt and wear special gear?

I really don't want to call the police, I have enough stress and problems here but don't know what to do. Last time he was doing this me and two other neighbors asked him to drive slower and his grandmother flipped out at me! She sent me very nasty emails and said I yelled a him so now he's afraid of me. I never yelled at a child in my life! they live down the other end of the block and of course he mostly rides down our end so she puts all of our end in a bad situation. What if he flips that thing in front of my house? #1 I am concerned for his safety and I really don't blame him for this, he's just a young boy and doesn't know any better because he has no adult telling him right from wrong. #2, we are all responsible for our street and recently chipped in $200 a piece to have it repaved. I wonder if he did get hurt, would we all be held accountable? It's terrible I have to think about that. The last thing is, it's very annoying to hear him race up and down the road all day and into the night. Jeez...does this crap ever end over here? Sorry, I needed to vent.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:34 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,860,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Bringing this back up again because the kid dumped the four wheeler in the pond behind our houses several months ago and the engine was shot. He of course could have easily been killed and it was the second time he has done this. He also flipped it once in another neighbors driveway. So now, his grandparents bought him a new one and he is up and down the road probably 50 times or more a day. It's just about 9pm and he's still doing it. Unbelievable! I almost think they want him to get hurt or worse. Why would you give a young child something like that, not supervise him plus allow him to drive on pavement? He also wears flip flops...I don't know much about four wheelers but aren't they supposed to be on dirt and wear special gear?

I really don't want to call the police, I have enough stress and problems here but don't know what to do. Last time he was doing this me and two other neighbors asked him to drive slower and his grandmother flipped out at me! She sent me very nasty emails and said I yelled a him so now he's afraid of me. I never yelled at a child in my life! they live down the other end of the block and of course he mostly rides down our end so she puts all of our end in a bad situation. What if he flips that thing in front of my house? #1 I am concerned for his safety and I really don't blame him for this, he's just a young boy and doesn't know any better because he has no adult telling him right from wrong. #2, we are all responsible for our street and recently chipped in $200 a piece to have it repaved. I wonder if he did get hurt, would we all be held accountable? It's terrible I have to think about that. The last thing is, it's very annoying to hear him race up and down the road all day and into the night. Jeez...does this crap ever end over here? Sorry, I needed to vent.
If it's a private road and the homeowners are responsible for it, then they also get to make the rules. Let grandma know that if he wants to ride the ATV then keep it in their own yard or driveway.

Most of all, stop letting this person push you around and go after the responsible adult and not the kid. Get all the other homeowners together on this and take legal action if necessary.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
If it's a private road and the homeowners are responsible for it, then they also get to make the rules. Let grandma know that if he wants to ride the ATV then keep it in their own yard or driveway.

Most of all, stop letting this person push you around and go after the responsible adult and not the kid. Get all the other homeowners together on this and take legal action if necessary.
When you say we are responsible, do you mean if he gets hurt, we get sued? And I have already had many words with her, I didn't go after the kid. It doesn't matter, she's crazy and a lot more has happen then I have time to type. I would not put it past her to do something to my house or car, that's how crazy she is. I'd like to get the neighbors together but from past experience with most of them, they all have the "I don't want to get involved" attitude. I think if they knew they would be held responsible if he got hurt, they may change their tune.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:18 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,040,899 times
I would think it would be illegal to drive an unlicensed vehicle on a roadway, not to mention the unlicensed vehicle being driven by an unlicensed person.

Would you consider calling Children's Services? This could be considered physical neglect, child endangerment, or any other number of things that the agency should probably be made aware of, especially since he's unsupervised and isn't wearing proper protective gear while riding.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I would think it would be illegal to drive an unlicensed vehicle on a roadway, not to mention the unlicensed vehicle being driven by an unlicensed person.

Would you consider calling Children's Services? This could be considered physical neglect, child endangerment, or any other number of things that the agency should probably be made aware of, especially since he's unsupervised and isn't wearing proper protective gear while riding.
I'm going to stop by the police station today to see what they say. I thought about Childs Services but even though I disagree with what she's doing, I think the kid would be worse in foster care. She just doesn't say no to him on anything and he has something wrong that he always needs attention, so this is her way of getting rid of him for those hours he's riding up and down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area