U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2009, 08:47 AM

31 posts, read 87,100 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Myrtle Beach for Labor Day weekend. I know there is the beach, and that's about it. Can someone give me a "Myrtle Beach For Dummies" summary of this vacation destination and/or point me to a good website that has the basics for someone who has never been there before? I plan to go to the beach during the day, and boardwalk/shopping in the evening (I think there is a boardwalk??)

I assume it's easiest to stay at a hotel within a block or two of the beach so you don't have to drive and find parking at the beach? Or would it be feasible to stay at a hotel further from the beach to take advantage of lower rates? Is parking free at the beach?

I don't have kids, but I prefer more family-oriented activities such as walking along a boardwalk or enjoying the atmosphere of an amusement park atmosphere. (I don't golf.) Where are these areas located? Is there parking?

Are there places to get a quick, inexpensive sandwich or slice of pizza for lunch/dinner? Where are those places concentrated?

Is it better/cheaper to stay in Myrtle Beach rather than North Myrtle? What are the differences?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:24 AM

68 posts, read 146,562 times
Its cheaper to go down there and just find a room when you get down there, They have all types of deals some will pay you just to stay inside their resort and sit in a 90min persentation. you might end up paying $99.00 three days two nights for a room that has a stove, refrigerator, etc... stop by all these resorts or pick one thats their and ask for a price check if they give you a high price then say what if I sit in the presentation how much will it be. Stop at the resorts that on the strip

Old 08-29-2009, 09:54 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,128,507 times
You can check out Myrtle Beach SC: Myrtle Beach Hotels, Resorts, Attractions & Vacation Guide or Vacation in Myrtle Beach | Myrtle Beach Vacation Packages | Myrtle Beach Trips for some good ideas of stuff to do.

hotels depend on what you want to spend and how close you want to be to the beach. many hotels are gross and sketchy b/c of all of the visitors. I prefer the northern end of Myrtle Beach, around 76th-79th ave. There is a Hampton Inn on 76th that is pretty clean, although kind of old, and it is usually very reasonably priced. It is right next to TGI Fridays and across the street from a Wings/DunkinDonuts/Baskin Robbins. Parking is free in that section, but just before it and all the way down through main MB it costs $6 (I think) per day. The part of the beach I mentioned is very clean, a bit quieter, and less populated. It has beachfront homes instead of hotels and high rises.

As far as stuff to do, you will probably want to hit Broadway At The Beach. It's between 10th and 21st avenues off of hwy 17 and very easy to get to. There is plenty of parking. They have lots of shops and places to eat, and it's a fun place to walk around and people watch.

For lunch, or any dining for that matter, there are a million places. That's a tough one to recommend. I have my favorites, but they're more dinner places rather than a quick lunch. There are lots of beachfront bars/restaurants, and plenty of stuff along business 17. You just have to drive and take a look. Your hotel will have a directory of stuff close by as well as tons of brochures.

Have fun!

Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 PM

905 posts, read 3,063,272 times
You will find plenty to keep you busy in Myrtle Beach!

If you are into gardens check out : Brookgreen Gardens -- Ever Changing. Simply Amazing. I was there in early summer and loved it!

Right next door to Brookgreen is: Huntington Beach State Park

Last summer we went to the Hard Rock Amusement Park which is now: Freestyle Music Park | Amusement Park | Things To Do In Myrtle Beach

The big daddy roller coaster is the best. I found the rest of the park underwhelming.

Here are the results of a google search. amusement parks myrtle beach - Google Search There is another park on the strip just south of the main drag, but am not sure of the name.

I also love: The Market Common Myrtle Beach - Luxury Apartments - Stylish Shopping A new urbanism development, lots of shopping and dining options.

Enjoy and report back on your impressions of MB!

Old 08-29-2009, 01:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,691,574 times
Even though its labor day you shouldnt have much trouble finding a decent place. Labor day is one of the last dates where most places figure they can get top buck though as rates fall after labor day. You may google up "myrtle beach family fun" and see what you see..Note you dont have to pay 17.95 and up for a good sea food dinner. Look around and dont go directly to the hot spots.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:21 PM

31 posts, read 87,100 times
Thanks everyone for your responses!

I have booked an inexpensive hotel (nothing fancy, but it's within a block of the beach). So far I have on my list of to-do's: Family Kingdom Amusement Park, Broadway on the Beach, Tanger Outlets.

Looking forward to some fun and relaxation in the fun -- it's been a long, stressful year!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,099,886 times
Myrtle Beach Shows & Theatres
The Carolina Opry and the Dixie Stampede are two of our favorite show places.
Dixie will include a good dinner and fantastic show. Awesome venues.......gorgeous buildings.
Barefoot Landing is nice to stroll around over the bridges and shop. Right in that area is an
Alligator Experience that is awesome. There should be lots of enjoyable places to visit.
Have a great time!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 35,620 times
Also - there's the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (minor league team). They have few games this weekend. The stadium is nice, tickets are affordable and I've never had a problem buying them right before the game. Sometimes they have fireworks after the games too. We went to the game on Memorial day and the fireworks show was quite impressive!

myrtlebeachpelicans.com: Game Schedule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area