U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 08:27 PM

67 posts, read 83,798 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to MB probably first part of spring, like in March or April. I now live in mid eastern North Carolina. I have lupus and am sick from Oct - Apr. Need to be in area which has warmer winters. I did live in Charleston, SC, which has really nice winters, however would like to be closer to family, therefore am looking at MB. The other problem is I hate the heat and it hates me. Is it much cooler in the warmer months because of the breezes off the ocean and how about the humidity? Have checked the climate data, but don't know how accurate or realistic that is. Thanks for some input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:47 AM

343 posts, read 621,394 times
Hi Cath,

I believe that the Winters here on the Grand Strand would be a good bit more temperate than central NC. Very little to no ice or snow here. South Strand (Murrells Inlet and south) is probably very close to Charleston Winters.

In Summer the coastal areas usually run 3 to 5 degrees cooler that the midlands in SC. This can be attributed to ocean breezes. It's a relatively comfortable Summer compared to my previous home in Maryland (most uncomfortable Summer place that I have ever been).

But, there's no getting around 90-95 degree days in late June, July, and August. And being this close to the ocean creates high humidity. Central air is a way of life in SC in the Summer. Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:51 PM

18 posts, read 70,132 times
Ha, humidity and heat in MB? It's nothing compared to what I grew up with in GA. The ocean breeze makes it SOOO much more comfortable here in the summer. For me, it's like heaven compared to the brutal GA summers. I put it to you this way, in August here I can actually drive around without the AC on in my car, whereas in GA if I tried to do that I wouldn't make it 5 minutes...lol

Old 09-19-2009, 08:46 PM

539 posts, read 1,501,533 times
The temperature is pretty much the same as Charleston, with some ocean breezes if you live on the ocean. The humidity is horrid. This morning it was 76% humidity here. I had some serious issues breathing. Wasn't fun

Old 09-19-2009, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddyterp View Post
Hi Cath,

I believe that the Winters here on the Grand Strand would be a good bit more temperate than central NC. Very little to no ice or snow here. South Strand (Murrells Inlet and south) is probably very close to Charleston Winters.

In Summer the coastal areas usually run 3 to 5 degrees cooler that the midlands in SC. This can be attributed to ocean breezes. It's a relatively comfortable Summer compared to my previous home in Maryland (most uncomfortable Summer place that I have ever been).

But, there's no getting around 90-95 degree days in late June, July, and August. And being this close to the ocean creates high humidity. Central air is a way of life in SC in the Summer. Hope this helps and good luck!
You have helped me tremendously! Yep, Charleston has great weather and knowing that the south side of MB has similar weather helps me a lot. The humidity can create some problems for me as far as I may be in more pain on those days, but still nothing compared to the winter. Most of the time I can handle it without the steroids, but during the winter, it's steroids from Oct-Mar, so I'm willing to stay inside and have the AC when the humidity is high. Also, when the UV rays are high, I can't go outside anyway. The summers here are very humid also, but with no breeze anywhere. Not to mention the knats and mosquitos. I just hate it!
At least when the sun goes down, I can walk on the beach and enjoy some part of a day.

Thank you so much for replying!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:51 PM

Thanks Pburgess68, I really appreciate your reply.

The humidity is high here too. I live in Tarboro, NC, which is near Rocky Mount and about an hour east of Raleigh. There are no breezes during the summer, just hot, humid and bugs, knats and mosquitos. If I can get better during the winter, I can handle the summers. As I replied to Teddy, I can't go outside anyway when the UV ratings are high, but I can sit on a screened in porch or go out to the beach when the sun goes down and have some enjoyment of a day.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:01 PM

Thanks a lot, SCDawg, great to hear that, as I was looking at GA, also, since it is further south.

OMG, I could not go without the A/C at any time from June - Sept. I know for sure, I would blow up from internal combustion, lol.

All the posts have really made this an easy choice for me. I'm going to make some reservations at one of the hotels and make an appt with a realtor to look at some townhouses/condos during the second week of October. Any ideas as to where is the best place we should look, such as which side of Myrtle Beach, which condo complexes. I've looked at several online and there are plenty available and the prices are really good right now, so it's definitely a good time to buy. Teddy's post said the south side, such as Murrell's Inlet would be more like Charleston, so that's a start. My husband went there several times during Bike Week, but really didn't pay attention to other things, lol.

I think we will be able to sell our home rather quickly as it is in a really good area for young first time buyers or for older ppl wanting to scale down. Our neighborhood is an older neighborhood and on the golf course, ppl just love it out here. You can walk the streets at midnight and not have to worry about anything or anyone. Really, really safe. So, I am looking forward to heading to Myrtle Beach!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:35 AM

46 posts, read 123,919 times
If you are looking in Myrtle Beach, check out the Quail Marsh condos at 2005 Greens Blvd off 21st Avenue across the street from Broadway at the Beach and less than a mile from the ocean. I can't tell you how happy I am with my lovely condo. There are some condos available in the mid $40,000 range, but your best bet is to find one that has been nicely renovated in the upper 50,000 range, then just make a little lower offer. That way you get new carpets, fresh paint, new cabinets and countertops, all your major appliances, and maybe even tile floors and backsplash etc, if you're fortunate enough to find one available. I found mine last year on Realtor.com. I preferred a unit with no tenants in it because then I would have had to honor thier lease agreement, and I wanted the condo for myself--not to rent.

The maintenance fee is only $215 a month and it includes water, sewer, trash collection, cable TV, preventive pest control, all your outside maintenance and insurance, and full use of the beautiful pool and tennis courts. The units are all brick and are all end units. The complex is impeccably maintained, and the local police in the area are always patrolling and are on top of things which really makes me feel safe. The taxes are low, and the local Tilghman Insurance company got me a wonderful HO6 policy for the interior of my unit covering everything including hurricane protection. Come taste the good life and get in at an unbelievable low price while the economy is in a downturn.

Last edited by Mec4U; 01-16-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: forgot key info

Old 01-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up Thanks a million

Hi Mec4U,

Thanks so much for the great info. I personally would like a townhouse or even a condo would not be to bad, but it has to be on 1st level. My husband wants a garage; planning to buy a bike and needs to park it in garage and I've seen a lot of them with garages. However if the price is good and the area is good, we can always rent a storage bldg close by, so that can be a comprimise.

I'm going to see what I can find on Quail Marsh and the address helps a lot. You gave me everything I need to know. You would make a good realtor! I look on Realtor.Com at least once a week and they email me too when something pops up. I have been in contact with 2 realtors, which keep me informed also. I can't believe the price on the property down there now. Amazed at the foreclosures there and very sorry so many people had to do that.

We have a few more things to do on our house and we should have it on the market by mid February. Just in time for those tax returns to start coming in, lol. Most of what's left to do is small cosmetic things, touch ups here and there, a scratch in the floor, etc. So, really getting close. Just hope the house sells quickly.

Thanks again and please keep me updated if there's something you think I should know.

Cathy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area