U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-29-2009, 01:20 PM

118 posts, read 149,450 times
Default From Pennsylvania to South Carolina...What to expect?

Maybe someone here can help me make a decision. I'm 32, been divorced for almost 2 years, and I've been dragging my feet concerning the decision to move. I have a relative in the MB area, have visited him often over the past couple of years, and from what I've seen so far...I like the area. BUT I don't wanna "settle" for someplace that's nice to visit, but isn't nice to permanently reside in. I also work from home, so my options are virtually limitless. However, so far the SC coast is my favorite and I'd like to stay on the east coast. I also hate winter, so forget New England, and I don't like MD or VA, nor could I afford those places.

First let me give a little information on what I'm dealing with now, and let me know if it will be better there than here. I currently live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, where I have lived my whole life. Before I was married, the singles scene, music scene, etc was sub-par to say the least. Being out in it now though, is a nightmare. Any substance this town had 10 years ago is gone. No more good venues, no more nice low-key bars (mostly sports bars now), and an astonishingly low number of single women, both my age, older, and younger. I've got a couple of recently divorced buddies and they're finding socializing with the opposite sex to be virtually impossible, so at least I'm not alone in that aspect.

Even though it's impossible to meet anyone in the bar scene here, finding a fight is never a problem. I've discovered a dirty little ploy that young couples find entertaining around here. A girl will sit at the bar alone and flirt with guys, then when one comes over....the husband or boyfriend comes over and picks a fight. This sort of thing is pretty prevalent around here...to the point where that's usually what's going on whenever I find myself being flirted at. So I don't even bother, and I just try to enjoy myself with my fellow 30-something single counterparts.

Ok, so that's the nightlife that I'm dealing with....onto the lack of culture: I understand that the South is into it's country music and such, so that's no big shocker to me. I'm a bit of an eccentric guy though in terms of my tastes. I'm really into art and music. Not too big on the hardcore football thing or alpha-male stuff that's so common here (even though I can scrap better than most of the jocko douchebags around here, lol...but only when provoked). I grew up in the now non-existant Pittsburgh punk scene, and I understand there's not gonna be much of that in the south. I'm ok with that though, because it's gone here as well. Besides I've outgrown all that anyway.

So basically I'm asking if it's gonna at least be a little better than the black hole I live in now. Especially pertaining to being single. I'm not getting any younger, and I'd like to enjoy my 30's in that aspect of my life.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM

539 posts, read 952,429 times
SC coast is a beautiful place to visit, but not a great place to live unless you have an awesome job coming with you (aka PA pay). I guess I was lucky enough to meet my bf (also from PA as you are) of 2 years down here, but it's pretty difficult to do so as neither of us are bar flies.

In all honesty, I wouldn't move in any location just to find a mate. It's far easier to find people via net searches, and it doesn't require any moving! You're asking during a really rough economy, and this area is suffering terribly, as I'm sure many others are as well.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:39 PM

That's not the only variable for me though. For the first time in my life, I have the opportunity to get outta here and have sunny skies and nicer weather too.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM

18 posts, read 45,888 times
From what I hear, the tattoo parlors and strip clubs here are great places to pick up women.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM

5,474 posts, read 9,919,411 times
You have a job you will bring with you; thats great! Is your relative your age? Are you religious? If the answers to my questions are yes I don't think you'll hate our state more than you hate the PA winters. You are young enough that you can take some chances and if nothing is tying you down up north I'd go for it.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:27 PM

137 posts, read 378,376 times
Go for it! You will only know if you come down here what it's like to live here. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
You have a job you will bring with you; thats great! Is your relative your age? Are you religious? If the answers to my questions are yes I don't think you'll hate our state more than you hate the PA winters. You are young enough that you can take some chances and if nothing is tying you down up north I'd go for it.
I'm not a religious person whatsoever, but I don't care if other people are. I know the area is considered to be part of the bible part, but that doesn't bother me a bit. To each their own. I've spent a lot of time in the MB area, and I've noticed the large number of churches. I've also taken notice to how packed they get on Sundays. Even though I'm not religious in the least bit, I see that as a good thing.

One thing I haven't seen too much of down there however, are Catholic churches. This is a good thing.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM

245 posts, read 466,685 times
I am in your age range and although I am past the singles phase we have a lot of friends who have a great time on that scene(Every one of us are transplants). I think it would be worth it to give it a try. The weather is fantastic, the people are friendly, the summers are a little wacky but the other 9 months are so worth it!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:31 AM

5,474 posts, read 9,919,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epitathpunk View Post
I'm not a religious person whatsoever, but I don't care if other people are. I know the area is considered to be part of the bible part, but that doesn't bother me a bit. To each their own. I've spent a lot of time in the MB area, and I've noticed the large number of churches. I've also taken notice to how packed they get on Sundays. Even though I'm not religious in the least bit, I see that as a good thing.

One thing I haven't seen too much of down there however, are Catholic churches. This is a good thing.
That's true there are not an overabundance of Catholic churches here. I just thought that if you were religious that would be a good way to meet people. Join newcomer's clubs if there are any, we have them in my town so I'd imagine you'll find them in MB too. Since your job will keep you isolated get out as much as you can. Before you move order the MB paper and have it sent to you in the mail...it will give you some valuable information on the area before you get there.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbychoice14 View Post
I am in your age range and although I am past the singles phase we have a lot of friends who have a great time on that scene(Every one of us are transplants). I think it would be worth it to give it a try. The weather is fantastic, the people are friendly, the summers are a little wacky but the other 9 months are so worth it!
That's cool. It's nice to hear people my age are having a good time down there. I feel like a dinosaur at 32 here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area