U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 01:38 PM

35 posts, read 129,017 times

Advertisements

Can my husband and I make it in SC on $5400 a month? We'll have medical--and will rent awhile--but does this sound okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 01:48 PM

6,269 posts, read 18,835,193 times
I am raising kids on less than that so I'd suspect you'd do fine even if you are looking at the coastal areas.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:09 PM

35 posts, read 129,017 times
Thank you for saying that-- We are from NJ, and it's not enough up here. We love you state a lot, but have been wondering about it long term.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:15 PM

6,269 posts, read 18,835,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontoretire View Post
Thank you for saying that-- We are from NJ, and it's not enough up here. We love you state a lot, but have been wondering about it long term.
That's why we left Chicago 6 years ago to move to Greenville. Things will cost a bit more at the beach but I don't think they will cost you out of the area. Go for a visit in the winter when the lodging fees are low and take a good long look around.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,260 posts, read 5,040,247 times
We are from NJ too. We net $5,483 from my NJ State pension each month. We bought a nice townhouse in Murrells Inlet. We still have our home (with a mortgage) in NJ. Paying off kid's student loans. Paying a lease payment on one car. Since retiring in July we seem to have more money left over each month then we ever had.

I would say you should be just fine......

Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,164,962 times
All I can say is wow! I know we are doing something wrong-we'll never get to retire. We are in Upstate NY and after 21 years at both our jobs, we are bringing in just 2900 a month. You should be fine down in SC-we live cheaper when we are there just on vacation with 5 people. The costs in SC are nothing like we know up here in the NY-NJ areas.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM

700 posts, read 2,936,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
We are from NJ too. We net $5,483 from my NJ State pension each month. We bought a nice townhouse in Murrells Inlet. We still have our home (with a mortgage) in NJ. Paying off kid's student loans. Paying a lease payment on one car. Since retiring in July we seem to have more money left over each month then we ever had.

I would say you should be just fine......
If you don't mind me asking......where is your townhouse located in Murrell's Inlet? We are VERY interested in that area ourselves and are looking for good possibilities. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,260 posts, read 5,040,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
If you don't mind me asking......where is your townhouse located in Murrell's Inlet? We are VERY interested in that area ourselves and are looking for good possibilities. Thanks.
We are in Park West located between 707 and Tournament Drive. They are sold out but there are units available via resale. We love the townhouse, the complex and the area. Wish I were there now (instead of cold and snowy NJ).

Anymore specific questions, just ask.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:12 PM

137 posts, read 523,077 times
Some people here would call that a fortune. Others couldn't possibly get by with that amount. The answer is it depends on your lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontoretire View Post
Can my husband and I make it in SC on $5400 a month? We'll have medical--and will rent awhile--but does this sound okay?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:00 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,401,632 times
If you cannot make it in MB on 5,400 a month there is something seriously wrong with your budget and or spending.

Op, you should be extremely well off in MB with that much money.

Once you sell your other home and eliminate that debt, you should be living very well in MB.

Congrats on doing so well and having a nice retirement income! You have certainly done well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area