Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 08:55 PM

12 posts, read 38,547 times

Advertisements

Hello - We are retired, 60-ish, empty-nesters who have lived all of our lives in Tennessee and have now developed a bad case of wanderlust. We have vacationed in the Myrtle Beach area on several occasions and enjoyed the location very much. We're ready to try life somewhere else, but we also enjoy the area where we currently live. We're ready to pack up and move, but at the same time, hate to give up too much of what we have enjoyed in the past.

My question to those who have relocated to the Myrtle Beach area - what do you miss most about the place you left behind? Thanks for your thoughts and insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,366 times
When I lived in Myrtle Beach for a year, I missed my friends the most back home in Reno, NV. the two places were so different, and I love them both. The dry heat I missed... (humidity as we all know sucks)... I missed having more things to do, more shopping... etc. I missed a lot, but I will tell you what, I am now back in Reno and I miss the beach beyond words. I know that I Have to end up back there at some point, i dont think vacationing is enough for me. I do think MB misses a lot... not a lot of culture... not a lot of things to do... but the beach... so worth it. I am not sure that once I got older and had a family I would feel the same way... but for now I've been gone almost 6 months, and I promise you, not one day goes by that I do not miss it! (some people there hate it though... you just never know!) I miss the southern hospitality (everyone is so nice)... i miss the beach town feel... I say all of this having lived literally, across the street from the beach. Had I lived inland a little, as much as I like Carolina Forest and places such as that... i am not sure i would have had the same feelings that i do now. And it certainly didn't hurt that I found people that I loved there as well...!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
I can't answer your question, hulagirl, as I haven't moved to MB yet (hopefully will one day), but I have to disagree with VerdeOjos that there's not much to do, not much shopping, and not much culture. You just have to look for it. There are wonderful museums in MB, Conway and Georgetown. There are tons of places to shop if you look beyond the malls and outlet stores. There are so many little strip plazas and stand-alone stores tucked away. There are literally hundreds of golf and miniature golf courses, as well as shows to attend, some of which stay the same so you'd probably only go once and then sporadically, but some shows change on a regular basis. There's movie theaters and an IMAX theater. I could go on and on. But I'm from a small town in central PA that "rolls up its sidewalks at night" so to me MB is "to-do paradise".

Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
In no particular order....

Solitude - Noise pollution and light pollution are rampant here and rapidly getting worse. For those who previously lived in an urban environment, it may not be a big deal. For those whose souls are sustained by the sights and sounds of aloneness, the Grand Strand can prove to be a very stressful environment.

Rainy Days - We have thunderstorms, tropical storms, and hurricanes, but good old-fashioned kick back with a book and pot of rum-laced coffee rainy days are rare treats.

Kristi - You'd have to know her to understand. Moving usually means leaving behind some very special folks.

BBQ - We have a few places that do a tolerable imitation of bbq, but it requires driving inland for a ways to find the real deal, smoked all nite over hickory slabs. There are a lot of good restaurants around here, but they cater to tourists by offering a "dining experience". Finding good, simple, well-prepared "locals" food at reasonable prices can be a challenge.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I can't answer your question, hulagirl, as I haven't moved to MB yet (hopefully will one day), but I have to disagree with VerdeOjos that there's not much to do, not much shopping, and not much culture. You just have to look for it. There are wonderful museums in MB, Conway and Georgetown. There are tons of places to shop if you look beyond the malls and outlet stores. There are so many little strip plazas and stand-alone stores tucked away. There are literally hundreds of golf and miniature golf courses, as well as shows to attend, some of which stay the same so you'd probably only go once and then sporadically, but some shows change on a regular basis. There's movie theaters and an IMAX theater. I could go on and on. But I'm from a small town in central PA that "rolls up its sidewalks at night" so to me MB is "to-do paradise".
Well the kind of shopping that I encounter at Barefoot and Broadway are not the kind of shopping i like to do. Little knick knack stores are really not my thing, although strolling around the areas during summer is a good time. i wasn't there long enough to explore much of Conway or Georgetown ... there literally ARE hundreds of miniature golf, and Wings, Eagles and other novelty shops on EVERY CORNER. haha. i think the OP knows that if they have been here. i didnt mind all that. but when you grow up in California, move to Reno, frequent Las Vegas... that is what I meant by shopping. I mean... it all depends on the kind of things you like you know? it's very, very different from the west, you ever visited out here? if you think Myrtle has a lot of stuff... you're in for a true culture shock i would assume

Old 01-14-2010, 02:36 PM

18 posts, read 83,338 times
---What I miss about Georgia. I know most of you are from the north or even out west, so my list might be a bit different than most. 1) Better job market for young professionals like myself 2) Smoke-free restaurants, bars, etc. Why does EVERYONE smoke here? I hate going out b/c it is so damned smokey everywhere! 3) Lower taxes (on dining & entertainment) 4) Real BBQ 5) My family and some close friends 6) My poker leagues I played in (it's illegal here to play charity or free poker events) 7) More predictable weather. you never know when its going to rain here If this list is any indication, I am moving back...mostly b/c of #1. I would love to possibly settle down here in the future, but I just don't think this place is right for me RIGHT NOW. I am going to miss the beach definitely.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:42 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
This is what I miss -

The shopping - Macy's
Paying NO sales tax on clothes
Family
Good Food, especially good bread
Being 20 minutes away from NYC and going in to see a play
Lower sales tax
Bigger grocery stores, where you can find anything
More jobs & better paying jobs

I don't miss the traffic, when people talk about how bad the traffic gets here I laugh, because this is nothing compared to where we lived.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
I haven't been here long so my list is short

1) Mom and Dad
2) Amoroso Rolls

That's about it so far. My husband would add hoagies and cheese-steaks.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:29 AM

344 posts, read 725,995 times
Crab Cakes- there really aren't any great ones outside the Baltimore area.

Ball Games- sitting on the porch in the evening listening to the Orioles on the radio. Hopping on the light rail and being to Camden Yards in 20 minutes. Not seeing downtown Baltimore lit up in Purple when the Ravens are in the playoffs.

Snow- just a little bit.

Car show- going to the Convention Center to see the new cars on display.

Annapolis- going to see the Middies march in formation on a Spring Friday afternoon. Seeing all the sails on the Severn River and the Chesapeake.

College Lacrosse- Freezing outside in early March to see Navy, Maryland, and Hopkins try to destroy each other in the fastest game on two feet.

Don't Miss:

Snooty people- enough said.

Beltway traffic- Baltimore and/or DC

Snow- a whole lot.

Real estate taxes.

Maryland Politics- prepared me well for South Carolina politics.

Murders- at least 4-5 nightly on the local news.

Being a target- knowing that you live among many terrorist targets- NSA, DC, Naval Academy, etc.

Maryland football- when they go 2-10 for the season.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:41 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,001 times
Teddyterp,
Coming from Maryland I would have had to put Crab Cakes on my list as well but fortunately I am married to a retired chef with his own award-winning Crab Cake recipe. For me Maryland Crab Cakes are never far away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area