Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 15,428 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a small town in Maryland. I am looking to move to either Conway or Socastee SC this summer so that I can attend Coastal Carolina University with my boyfriend.I want to know which town is better to live in based on job opportunity and crime. Where I live now the town is small and there is not a lot of crime so I would like to be in an area that is similar to where I live now.

Do the Races in these two cities differ that much even know they are close to one another?

Races in Socastee
White Non-Hispanic (84.6%)
Black (7.0%)
Hispanic (4.7%)
Other race (2.0%)
Two or more races (1.6%)
Vietnamese (0.9%)
American Indian (0.7%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Socastee-South-Carolina.html#ixzz0cYlANVOi

Races in Conway:
White Non-Hispanic (54.9%)
Black (41.8%)
Hispanic (1.9%)
Two or more races (0.7%)
Other race (0.6%)

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Conway-South-Carolina.html#ixzz0cYlu72MJ
[/LEFT]

Any advise before I start looking for houses?
Thanks so much !
Katie
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,845 times
Yes, the races do differ that much. Conway is west of the Intracoastal waterway and Socastee is east. Are you going to be renting or buying? Conway would be less expensive for insurance since it's farther from the coast and thus potential hurricane and wind issues. Conway is probably more what you're used to, as it is an actual small down. Socastee doesn't really have a downtown as such. It's more of an area, with houses in residential areas and stores along the main roads. Conway has a beautiful marina and waterfront area along a river, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Hopefully others will join in with more information for you.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks so much for the information.I would be buying a home so the cheaper the better. I will look more into the conway area since the homes are less expensive.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 16,126 times
There are plenty of cheap houses in Socastee but it sounds like you would be much happier in Conway and there are plenty of affordable options there, too. Once you see downtown Conway you won't want to live anywhere else! You would also have your own Walmart, grocery stores, restaurants, etc, without having to deal with the tourists.

As for commuting to Coastal every day (which I do myself) all I can say is that you will want to avoid 501 as much as possible during the busy season. A 15 minute commute can turn into 30 or 40.

In Socastee you would take 544 which I don't think would be very busy but someone might correct me on that. If you were in Conway then there are only a few traffic lights between you and Coastal so I don't think the commute would be bad at all. (I live at the very northern tip of Myrtle Beach and I can tell you that I wish we were in Conway, as far as getting to school is concerned.)

Old 01-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the information about the commuting to Coastal. I do want a commute that is close to the college and having the basic restaurants and stores around Conway sounds nice.
Thanks a lot

Old 01-18-2010, 05:49 PM

369 posts, read 1,095,366 times
why haven't you mentioned myrtle beach? Carolina Forest is close to CCU but is considered in Myrtle... is there a reason you're avoiding that beautiful beach town?

Old 01-19-2010, 07:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,173 times
I live in the Socastee area. Might be selling my home, rental mobile home, and rental duplex within the next 6 months as we may have to relocate due to work. Most jobs are in Myrtle Beach. Conway is more small town. Housing is less expensive in Conway, but the drive can be a bear with the traffic around here. Socastee is a residential area, not a town. It actually has a Myrtle Beach address. I like the Socastee area because you are away from the city, but within a 15-20 minute drive to everything. I live just on the East side of the Intercoastal. Flood Insurance is not required here. You would just need to check out the area to see which area works best for you. Both are nice.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:33 AM

24 posts, read 69,416 times
socastee downtown myrtle beach and burcale road and green street and Conway DO have crime! percapita worse than Detroit probably

Old 06-09-2011, 08:19 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Neither, yuck.

I went to summer school at Coastal and lived on the beach.

You'll find that many, many students live in Myrtle Beach.

Socastee is the pits and Conway is a small southern town.

Don't buy, rent. You'll never sell your house in Socastee because it is an undesirable part of town.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:46 AM

161 posts, read 329,906 times
Where do you live in Maryland? We live in Maryland and our daughter lives in Conway and just graduated from Coastal Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area