Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,814 times

Advertisements

I have family there who moved out six months ago due to lack of work. They said that work in the construction area was dying off fast. I have an older retied family member there and they said that they can not move because the home they bought two years ago for 180 is now selling around her for 129 and she would be upside down. I wanted to go back but was wondering how things looked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
While I'm not local (yet) I have heard and read things are still pretty rough in MB. I will say the company I work for has a location in MB that is doing faaaaar better than my location. Of course I live in MI and there are likely 3rd world countries doing better than this iceberg. I'm sure Pburgess will be along shortly to give you all the negatives of the area.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:49 AM

369 posts, read 1,095,366 times
Its doing what the rest of the country is doing... PLUS Myrtle Beach is a tourist destination, like where I live, which means that as long as the economy remains bad, revenue will not be up in these cities... meaning no jobs. I'm not sure why anyone would think of relocating unless they already had a job lined up... and of COURSE work in the construction area is dying off fast silly, haven't you paid attention to the news in the last year and a half? It's obviously not as bad as out west, but I'd say it's not great ANYWHERE right now. were you looking for answers because you are interested in living there as well, or you are just interested for your family's sake?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:54 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times
Your family members offer an accurate description of our current economy, which is driven almost completely by retirees and tourists. Far too many home sellers and not enough buyers, which eventually leads to depressed prices, although prices are holding better in some areas and others. Realtor friends tell me they have lists of wannabe buyers, waiting for their current homes to sell. When home sales pick up in NY, NJ, OH, PA, MI, then MB's housing market will quickly begin to improve, probably not before.

With the surplus of homes available at low prices, there's little incentive for contractors to be building, thus very little work for construction skills. The general economy along with the unwillingness of banks to make loans has also put a serious damper on commercial construction in the area.

Tourism seems to be a mixed bag. Folks are still coming down, although average visit length is shorter. Many tourists are cutting back on what they spend for eating out and attractions. We saw more restaurants close seasonally this year than anytime in the recent past. Hopefully, most of them will be able to re-open in the Spring. Of those that remained open, there's been heavy couponing and limited staffing.

MB's economy will eventually recover and thrive, probably faster than much of the South, but it looks like it's going to be awhile. Ironically, our economic health seems to be tied closely to the economy in the NE, which continues to have its own problems.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:01 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
While I'm not local (yet) I have heard and read things are still pretty rough in MB. I will say the company I work for has a location in MB that is doing faaaaar better than my location. Of course I live in MI and there are likely 3rd world countries doing better than this iceberg. I'm sure Pburgess will be along shortly to give you all the negatives of the area.
I don't have to say much. Just do a search online, and you'll see the economic numbers, the corruption, the educational scores, etc. Besides, PD said it for me

Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Living both in SC and the NEPA area........I think its about the same here, if not a bit better then back home. Its slow in NJ and PA also. As, you must have heard its the same all over.
What they will get here is people wanting to now leave the cold behind and retire, or abide in a warmer climate.
I'd never move to any state without having a job. The job markets in many places are not all that great, MB included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area