U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-27-2010, 11:50 AM

539 posts, read 960,045 times
Default Soil testing

Does anyone know if the county, gardening associations (if there are any), or any of the colleges do soil testing for their residents for a small fee? I'd like to do some planting but would like to plot it out correctly according to the soil needs. I know back up in NY we could take a sample to the local cooperative extension and they'd tell you what you need nutrient wise, etc. Not sure if we have that same possibility here.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 12:21 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,417,485 times
SC's agricultural extension agency is administered by Clemson U, with offices in each county. We've used them for soil testing numerous times, with good results. When we ran into some strange results, we found both the local agents and experts at Clemson were more than willing to discuss the results and recommendations with us. Interestingly, they didn't always agree with the printed recommendations on the testing results. After you do the test, I think some of the recommendations were computer generated, so it never hurts to discuss them with a real, live person.

Horry Office

Old 02-27-2010, 05:25 PM

539 posts, read 960,045 times
Thanks, PD! Not sure if EVERYONE'S backyard is sand, but every single part of our property is sandy. Not sure if there's soil under it or not, but from what I've seen so far, doesn't look like it. Been on NGA Plant Finder :: National Gardening Association for hours today. Excellent site! Let's you put in what kind of soil, sun/shade, zone, etc. Will sort out plants, trees, etc for you according to your needs. Normally I do a large herb garden, but want to try to do something new!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: