Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:17 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,828,334 times

Advertisements

For those familiar with Pawleys Island...

A friend was cleaning out an old office over the weekend and came across an old, undated photo of Pawleys Island. He's clueless as to its origin. It may have been copyrighted at the time, but this copy appears to be a re-print with no copyright mark or developer info on the back.

It's an aerial shot that appears to have been taken at the time the condos at the pier were under construction. For the shaggers in the crowd, the old Pavillion is partially visible on the left border of the photo. Based on this, the photo is probably from the late 60's. It's a shame the photographer did not concentrate on the Pavillion, since there are very few photos still available of that landmark. Kinda neat...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,874,369 times
Tried to rep you for this but evidently I've given you too many points lately...... great post. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:39 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,045 times
It is very neat PD! After seeing your pic I took a few snapshots of what it looks like now on Google Earth and compared them (what a difference a few decades will make). I was intrigued after reading what you said about the Pavilion and the lack photos. In my quest for information I came across this site that spoke of the pavilions in PI. I hope this isn't "off topic" to post this but I enjoyed learning a little history of the area and though someone else may also.

Pawleys Island Reunion Show info - May 13th, 2006

Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 AM

Thanks for posting the link, neecewh. Along with the MB Pavilion and OD Pavilion, it was one of *THE* places to be for kids growing up in SC during the 60's. For a bashful teenager with two left feet, the Pawleys Pavilion and the OD Pavilion were always a little intimidating because the dancers were so good. It took courage to strut your stuff with those crowds...

It was interesting that the history you posted almost promoted the 2008 Pavilion Reunion, which turned out the be the last one, after a run of about 10 years. The reunion was a great event, with live music and a wood dance floor set up out under the stars. The economy was supposedly the cause of its demise, but I suspect it was also a victim of its own success. It had become hugely popular, with large crowds, and I suspect the Island folk decided they had enough.

In the trivia category, Cliff Ellis, the current basketball coach at Coastal, was the lead singer with one of the beach music bands back in those days. He shows up for a lot of the beach music events around here.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,893,045 times
It is a shame they ended it. Maybe they would bring it back if you could get Cliff Ellis and The Villagers to make an appearance.

YouTube - The Villagers - Laugh It Off

Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,783 times
Default Cliff Ellis and the Villagers

Funny you should mention this group. They have reunited. I saw them in Marianna, Fl at a Chipola Community College athletic fund raiser 2 years ago. Still sound pretty good.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 PM

460 posts, read 988,209 times
Wow! Fantastic history.

I know I've told this story before, but back in the early 1960's, my family was on vacation at Pawleys Island. I was probably about 6 years old at the time. I was curious about the Pavilion, so we stopped, and my father took me up for a closer look. He told me about the music, and dances, and I remember thinking to myself, "I can't wait until I'm old enough to hang out here". Of course, that never happened, and to this day, it is one of the only events I truly feel like I missed out on.

I did get to fish off of that pier a few times, though!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:35 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
That is a great picture PD ... in the 60's the OD Pavilion was my stomping grounds and I would spend hours shagging. Goodness that was good times and great beach music. And we didn't have crack heads, gangs or dopers. Just teens dancing blisters on their feet. Great memories, thanks!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
That is a great picture PD ... in the 60's the OD Pavilion was my stomping grounds and I would spend hours shagging. Goodness that was good times and great beach music. And we didn't have crack heads, gangs or dopers. Just teens dancing blisters on their feet. Great memories, thanks!
Thanks, CW. I wish I knew the history of the photo, but was never able to find anything. We spent more time on the South end, but still have good memories of both the OD Pavilion and the MB Pavilion. My second left foot kept gettin' in the way , but I always envied the really good shaggers. A few years ago we were up in OD and got in a couple dances "just for old times", and glad we did. The last I heard, I think they took out the dance area and added rides??? Those were good times and riches....

Quote:
Muonic reminisced:I did get to fish off of that pier a few times, though!
That puts you in rarefied company. The pier's been private for quite awhile now, I guess since the condo's were built. In today's PI, you gotta pay to play.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM

460 posts, read 988,209 times
There were a few thing we always tried to do, each time we went on vacation at Pawleys Island.

Fishing on the pier (before it was closed to the public)
Fishing in the creek
Seining for shrimp in the creek
Crabbing in the creek (chicken neck on a string )
Swimming in the ocean, of course
A trip up to Myrtle Beach one night
A visit to Brookgreen Gardens (only remember that once or twice)
Every few years, we had to get a new hammock
And, we always went to a particular seafood restaurant in Murrells Inlet. I can't remember the name, but it was a converted old house on the water. They had a joggling board in the front yard, and I remember it was always crowded, and everything being deep fried.

Life was good, when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area