Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:14 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,884,107 times

Advertisements

Wow Teddyterp! I showed your post to my husband, who had been in the restaurant business for many years, to find out if that is something he has seen before. He said he has seen it happen but he can't understand why anyone would be so cheap. They are only required to pay tipped employees a little over two dollars an hour (unless that combined with their tips don't add up to minimum wage). I can see why your son would do it, he wants the job. But it is a foolish practice on the part of the restaurant since if reported they will be forced to pay the back wages in addition to fines not to mention the possibility of criminal prosecution.

... so now not only do we have "low" wages, we have "no" wages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM

78 posts, read 293,570 times
neecewh, thanx for the info, I'd work for less than 10.00 and would be able to survive, since the only skill I have is telco land lines which there isn't much need for anymore,my wife has admin skills so it might be easier for her to find something. I understand it won't be easy coming from N.J. with better paying jobs,but hopefully one of us can find something to make ends meet. I was even thinking of going to realtor school and trying that but if its like NJ anybody out of work is trying to become an agent and there are so many agents I don't know how they manage unless they have been around and have a good reputation.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:12 PM

245 posts, read 759,382 times
wow ...talk about a liability!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:23 PM

540 posts, read 1,674,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj relocating View Post
neecewh, thanx for the info, I'd work for less than 10.00 and would be able to survive, since the only skill I have is telco land lines which there isn't much need for anymore,my wife has admin skills so it might be easier for her to find something. I understand it won't be easy coming from N.J. with better paying jobs,but hopefully one of us can find something to make ends meet. I was even thinking of going to realtor school and trying that but if its like NJ anybody out of work is trying to become an agent and there are so many agents I don't know how they manage unless they have been around and have a good reputation.

There are MANY MANY agents here. Unless you're awesome, it wouldn't be the way to go. Besides, not many ppl are actually buying. Some, yes. But our realtor sold ONE house in 7 months. The one we bought. Not exactly enough to live on.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM

13 posts, read 96,437 times
There are many jobs out there, but they pay crap!!!The company I work for now paid better in 1999-2002!!!!The wages are going down not up and will go down.Matter-in-fact there is talk(in the fed) about lowering the min wage back to $6.75 but this is only talk.Other thing is no one who is getting unemployment checks is going to work for Wendys or Hardee's for min wage.I know this because I have a friend who is on unemployment for 2 years and he gets $275 aweek plus foodstamps and going to stay on it until he runs it dry!!!!Just like a few other thousand people in SC!!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,767,415 times
I tried to work a number of places and saw a lot of illegal and barely legal practices. This was a slave state and those that own businesses here in the "right to work state" don't want to pay even minimum wage. I've been held to less tha 40 hours so I couldn't get insurance so I had to get an extra job. Then the first job wanted to call me in at all hours! If I say no, I'm not a team player and if I say yes, I'm endangering advancement at my day job. Oh and the day job paid me less than minimum wage but did me the "favor" of paying off the books in cash. Thanx!

You have to look long and hard to find employers who will pay fairly and treat you fairly. It took me months to find my niche and I'm riding this train 'til the wheels fall off! LOL!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:16 PM

648 posts, read 1,170,243 times
Employers have gotten so spoiled from hiring illegals that it has driven wages and working conditions down to deplorable levels, while the cost of everything else goes UP. Citizens who pay their taxes, pay for car insurance, and live above the law (and don't live 10 to a house) cannot survive on these jobs that pay nothing, and still have a decent quality of life. We have shot ourselves in the foot. Thanks to the greedy rich and corporations, mostly,, and our wimpy govt.. and ourselves, really.. for not speaking up strongly enough... and allowing a tsunami of illegal migration that has changed the character and quality of our nation for the worse.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:00 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,098,644 times
Working at a restaurant is not a real job if you work for tips and have NO benefits,Its what we call a semi -job ...A real job pays a real salary, has a real future with benefits and insurance and paid time off etc etc.Most of these so called "jobs" arent real jobs.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 AM

540 posts, read 1,674,155 times
About the real estate market, they stated this morning on the local talk show, they don't expect the RE market to pick up for the next decade or so in this area. While this area was once booming, it isn't now. Many homes are being forclosed on due to people getting loans they could never afford, plus the amount of people losing jobs, or not being able to find jobs in the first place, is astounding.

On my road alone there are SEVEN homes for sale. 2 of them are people from NY who bought homes believing they could find a job once they got here. They never did. They bought their house for far more than brand new ones are selling for now, on the same road. Because of this, they are unable to sell their homes. They have been for sale for over a year, easily.

It's a really bad market, sad to say. It's great for the wealthy who can buy homes for cash, but for the rest of us, not so much.

I think it's like the other posters have stated...the employers have made the wages so low over the years because of the illegals, and people have no choice but to accept them. Until the companies start following the LAWS about hiring illegals, then nothing will change. I've been a restaurant manager and I know it happens. I've also worked for a company who encouraged it. Their rationale was, our families were all immigrants as well (I countered with, they were LEGAL immigrants), so we have to give them a chance, and besides, no one wants to work for this kind of money. EXACTLY!!!!!!!

I made $25/hr up north doing the same work I got paid $10/hr down here. South Carolina has no excuses to pay their people lesser wages. What, are they trying to say their people are worth less? That they don't DESERVE more? That they are lesser people? They don't work as hard so they don't have to pay them a decent salary? Don't give me the baloney that things are cheaper here. They ARE NOT. Food is the same, if not more. You have to drive FARTHER to work in many cases. Health costs are the same. Ok, no school tax, but that's the only difference.

Sorry, but this lame excuse has to end. The South has to stop blaming whatever it wants to blame it on, and start paying their employees what they deserve. They work just as hard, most of the time, as their counterparts elsewhere in the country. Ok, maybe not in the Loris McDonalds! They are amongst the slowest workers I've ever seen **anywhere**, but that's besides the point

So back to the OP...there are no jobs PLUS no jobs people want. I was working as a manager not that long ago, working 70 hrs a week for $600. That's horrendous pay for what's required. It's no wonder they went out of business.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,802,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opalminor View Post
Employers have gotten so spoiled from hiring illegals...
IMO, "illegal aliens" is far too convenient of an excuse for the MB situation. There are quite a few local hispanics who work landscaping and menial construction jobs, such as ditchdigging, etc. I have no idea how many have citizenship or green cards and how many don't, but historically these have been jobs that too many locals have considered beneath their status, particularly because it's so damn hard work.

The restaurants and hospitality jobs are a different situation entirely. For generations, through both boom and bust times, any HS or college kid who could get their freedom headed to MB for the summer, willing to work for low wages just to have the chance to spend the summer partying at the beach. With this infinite supply of cheap labor, most businesses would be crazy to risk hiring illegals as long as the kids are willing to work so cheap. In the summertime, it's a classic case of supply and demand, with the supply of workers far exceeding the demand for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area