U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 25,882 times
Default Hoa fees

Just getting a feel for a move to SC area...looking at Blufton, Atlantic Beach and Surfside Beach area. Just a couple of mid 50's middle class folks, kids finally left..hahahah. Not rich second home types....Not famiiar with HOA fees...seems a lot of property is located in ASSOCIATION areas? What is the cost? Just don't see that kind of thing here in ILLINOIS...also, where's the best value....of the above areas? Is it too much to dream of a close to beach home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:10 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,288,234 times
I don't know anything about Bluf(f)ton. Atlantic Beach is almost totally African American. I LOVE Surfside Beach and the southern end of the strand.

You can find homes in nice, non-subdivision neighborhoods without HOA fees. Check with a local realtor if that's what you want. Neighborhoods without HOAs are usually not restricted in what you can do/have on your property, which could be good or bad depending on your neighbors.

The HOA fees in subdivisions usually bring with them the use of wonderful amenities such as clubhouses, pools, tennis courts, etc. However, they also bring with them restrictions on what you can and cannot do/have on your property. Again, check with a local realtor.

There are also some nice neighborhoods for people your age and up. Again (yep, you guessed it) check with a local realtor.

When we were considering relocating a number of years ago (didn't work out for us, sadly) we met with a realtor from the Chicora agency. We have children and wanted a traditional neighborhood. He showed us a lot of wonderful neighborhoods in the Surfside Beach/Socastee/ Forestbrook areas, as well as the schools and a wonderful recycling center.

Best wishes for good luck with your decision!

Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM

952 posts, read 1,261,636 times
Quote:
Not famiiar with HOA fees...seems a lot of property is located in ASSOCIATION areas? What is the cost?
The cost will vary depending on what the HOA includes. I have seen them as low as $50 per month and on the flip side of the coin some over $600 (oceanfront condos with tons of amenities).

Quote:
also, where's the best value....of the above areas? Is it too much to dream of a close to beach home?
I can't tell you where the best value is because I am not familiar with Blufton or Atlantic Beach. I do, however, live in Surfside and love it. Without knowing your budget I really couldn't say if you could get close to the beach, although I can't imagine anyones budget being much less than mine and I rent just one block from the beautiful Atlantic. I can tell you there are many, many bargains out there. I can also say that I have seen single family homes East of 17 in Surfside (walking distance to the beach) for under $200,000 and condo's for even less than that.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the great info...sounds like SURFSIDE is a good candidate. Would you say that HOA fees are at least $50 and up from there? I'm just not used to this type of an arrangement.....What part of SURFSIDE would be a good place to start.....something let's say....1/2-3/4 to beach,etc....single familyhome?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:32 PM

952 posts, read 1,261,636 times
To be within 1/2 mile to the beach in Surfside you would want to look east of 17. There are many single family homes in this area that do not have HOAs at all. A realtor could tell you better, but I think if you are looking east of 17, unless you are looking at condos, HOAs wouldn't really be an issue. I think

Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM

I think the same as neecewh. There are some beautiful single family homes east of 17 (be sure to specify east of Business 17 and not just east of Bypass 17 - two different roads).

Old 04-13-2010, 11:55 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,912,192 times
Check out Murrells Inlet, specifically Park West. HOA fee not too high and you get a lot for your money.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:53 PM

GREAT INFO.....looking better thanks to good folks that take a little time and help us out.Appreciate the help...be sure and email if you have any other info I should be looking at, nothing worse than making a big move and find out I was a dumbo on where to select,etc.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:21 PM

I noticed some of the homes that look interesting are between the two ROUTE #17's....do you see this as a problem to the beach? I guess we are stuck with these home owners dues.....if they aren't too excessive, it would be ok. Thoughts?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 AM

I don't think being between the two 17s is a problem as far as getting to the beach. One suggestion I'd make is that you buy an annual SC state park pass. It's not that much - around $45 or so - and there are two state parks right there on the beach - Myrtle Beach State Park and Huntington Beach State Park. You have unlimited access and they both have nice amenities. There is also a lot of public parking for beach access, some metered and some not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area