Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,621 times

Advertisements

Trip Advisors Travelers Choice 2010
Myrtle Beach was voted #1 Beach and Sun Destination in the United States

TripAdvisor Travelers' Choice Destinations Awards - Beach & Sun - United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 02:20 PM

497 posts, read 507,762 times
Default Not anymore!!!!

It's amazing what racism can do to a city, see the city ordinance on Biker's Week!!!!!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:37 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
It's amazing what racism can do to a city, see the city ordinance on Biker's Week!!!!!

Ok. Let me break it down for you into little pieces since you don't seem to grasp the entire picture.

1. Bike Week isn't a week. It's several weeks. It isn't just the Memorial Day weekend one affected, it's the Harley Week (normally over a week long), and the one in October.

2. Harley riders tend to be non black (some are, most aren't, however), yet the rules still apply to them.

3. It isn't about racism per sey. It's about the class, or lack there of, that Atlantic Bike Week brings. People (LOTS AND LOTS) who skip out on their restaurant bills (I've been in the restaurant business for years, so I know this is a fact). Hotels trashed. Streets littered with beer cans, etc. (This happens during all 3, but it's at a higher rate during AB week).

4. It's also about a Mayor who bowed down to pressure of a minority of people, and threw together laws, some of which then also affected buses and delivery trucks.

Now...let me say this. When we had a sign up where I worked that said "No smoking during Bike Week", I was called a racist for the restaurant not allowing black people to smoke during Black Bike Week. (this is exactly what was told to my face, in front of DOZENS of people).

This imbocile went on and on, harassing me, trying to drum up support from the people waiting ahead of him to be seated. None of them were taking the bait. At least they had brains. And you know what? They were ALL BLACK, oh well...maybe one white guy who was with him, that was it. Not one believed his garbage.

I was polite and explained that the sign was up there since the beginning of May, when Harley Week started. It was now the end of May. It was always our policy to not allow smoking during the day. The only thing the management did was change it to ALL day. Big deal.

Not everything is racist because you want it to be. Some times people make bonehead laws or rules. Pushing the bikers out was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I know WHY they did it, I just don't agree with it. What they could have done was enforce the many laws on the books for not paying your restaurant bills (defrauding an innkeeper); scooping up the injured and having them sign donor cards when they got into accidents (seems like we had WAY more deaths/accidents prior to the helmet law); hire more police and have an even tighter control in the late evenings, etc.

A year ago, before this bonehead move, we were driving by the Market Commons area and came across a HUGE warehouse filled with motorcycles. We asked the people there what they were for (we thought they were going to be on sale or something). Wound up they were plain clothes policemen and they told us they were ALL impounded from the various bike weeks. And that wasn't even all they had! They had another full warehouse!!! They were stolen bikes, ones people were driving w/o licenses, etc. They were to be auctioned off or returned to the rightful owners several months later.

So yes, laws had to be changed. This drastically? No. More thought put into them? Heck yes. Racist? No, but you can't deny what "Bike Week" caused the most problems.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 AM

#1 racist beach and tourist location in U.S.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
Ok. Let me break it down for you into little pieces since you don't seem to grasp the entire picture.

1. Bike Week isn't a week. It's several weeks. It isn't just the Memorial Day weekend one affected, it's the Harley Week (normally over a week long), and the one in October.

2. Harley riders tend to be non black (some are, most aren't, however), yet the rules still apply to them.

3. It isn't about racism per sey. It's about the class, or lack there of, that Atlantic Bike Week brings. People (LOTS AND LOTS) who skip out on their restaurant bills (I've been in the restaurant business for years, so I know this is a fact). Hotels trashed. Streets littered with beer cans, etc. (This happens during all 3, but it's at a higher rate during AB week).

4. It's also about a Mayor who bowed down to pressure of a minority of people, and threw together laws, some of which then also affected buses and delivery trucks.

Now...let me say this. When we had a sign up where I worked that said "No smoking during Bike Week", I was called a racist for the restaurant not allowing black people to smoke during Black Bike Week. (this is exactly what was told to my face, in front of DOZENS of people).

This imbocile went on and on, harassing me, trying to drum up support from the people waiting ahead of him to be seated. None of them were taking the bait. At least they had brains. And you know what? They were ALL BLACK, oh well...maybe one white guy who was with him, that was it. Not one believed his garbage.

I was polite and explained that the sign was up there since the beginning of May, when Harley Week started. It was now the end of May. It was always our policy to not allow smoking during the day. The only thing the management did was change it to ALL day. Big deal.

Not everything is racist because you want it to be. Some times people make bonehead laws or rules. Pushing the bikers out was one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. I know WHY they did it, I just don't agree with it. What they could have done was enforce the many laws on the books for not paying your restaurant bills (defrauding an innkeeper); scooping up the injured and having them sign donor cards when they got into accidents (seems like we had WAY more deaths/accidents prior to the helmet law); hire more police and have an even tighter control in the late evenings, etc.

A year ago, before this bonehead move, we were driving by the Market Commons area and came across a HUGE warehouse filled with motorcycles. We asked the people there what they were for (we thought they were going to be on sale or something). Wound up they were plain clothes policemen and they told us they were ALL impounded from the various bike weeks. And that wasn't even all they had! They had another full warehouse!!! They were stolen bikes, ones people were driving w/o licenses, etc. They were to be auctioned off or returned to the rightful owners several months later.

So yes, laws had to be changed. This drastically? No. More thought put into them? Heck yes. Racist? No, but you can't deny what "Bike Week" caused the most problems.
Okay let me reason a little here, why am i going to worry myself about small stuff to take away from my family.What i mean is the no smoking, which made you lose business! Okay someone leaves without paying call the law.What is the problem. Okay Live your life and who cares about the next person and what they do if they don't affect you and your family. Who cares if bikes got impounded seriously did yours get took? Wake up take a look at yourself and relax a little, life is beautiful but it's people like ourselves that make our lives harder than it should be honestly.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM

540 posts, read 1,678,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-ham 34 View Post
Okay let me reason a little here, why am i going to worry myself about small stuff to take away from my family.What i mean is the no smoking, which made you lose business! Okay someone leaves without paying call the law.What is the problem. Okay Live your life and who cares about the next person and what they do if they don't affect you and your family. Who cares if bikes got impounded seriously did yours get took? Wake up take a look at yourself and relax a little, life is beautiful but it's people like ourselves that make our lives harder than it should be honestly.
Not letting people smoke made us loose business?! Not in the least! I was just explaining to you the various reasons people gave for when the laws were made. It wasn't MY rule, it was a owners rule. We just had to enforce it as employees. No big deal. Didn't make anyone racist, that was the point I was making. No one race was singled out.

Never did I say I had a bike, nor did I say I had one impounded. I said we came across the police depot that had all of the ones that were from the previous Bike Week(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area