U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM

955 posts, read 1,308,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
neecewh, darlin', if it's Southern, it's sweet and uses mayo (Duke's of course). If you get the dressing right, it don't matter what else you put in the salad. It's simple - mayo, a little sugar, a little lemon juice. Whip it till the sugar dissolves and everything's creamy. Taste it to make sure it has a little sweetness and tastes fattening.
OK the verdict is in. I just got finished making the pasta salad for the school tomorrow. Yea, yea, yea, my husband was supposed to make it. Like any good chef he delegated. I followed your instructions PD. I used Dukes (loved it by the way) a little lemon and some sugar until it tasted a little sweet. WOW! This was the best damn pasta salad I have ever made. It was horrible for my diet but it was GOOD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 09:42 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,360,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
This was the best damn pasta salad I have ever made...
~PD~ don't lie, girl.

Now just keep workin' on your Southern drawl...

Old 05-22-2010, 01:19 PM

34 posts, read 52,171 times
Does anyone have a good recipe for home made Strawberry Ice cream?

Old 05-22-2010, 02:29 PM

245 posts, read 463,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I also hate Miracle Whip and think that the miracle part is that there are a lot of people who like it. Just found out that it is made by Kraft! I guess taste buds differ as do opinions, because I don't taste anything similar in Hellman's and Duke's mayo. To me it's like a taste test between Coke and Pepsi. If you are a fan of one, you can always tell the difference. Eyes open or shut! Good thing we have a choice and don't have to agree!
I agree that I can tell the difference but just like coke and pepsi ....I will take either!LOL

Old 05-22-2010, 02:38 PM

245 posts, read 463,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
We rarely agree on much, but you definitely earned points for hating Miracle Whip!! Wish they had that little green face icon available...

I knew there were some variations of foods between the North and South. Southern food is usually far sweeter and unhealthy (don't even bother debating it, it's already well known by EVERYONE including the Chefs), and the North is generally lighter, more random and "melting pot" type. Used to love coming down here to get stuff we couldn't find up North, usually grits and certain cornmeal brands, pickled okra, etc.

Now I just want my super sized fruit and veggies back
Finally!!!!LOL.

I think the differences may have something to do with who cooks it....I can cook super healthy or super full on grandmother cooking with lard. Of course I was raised in the upper South so I was taught more Appalachian cooking(less sweet) than Deep South. Not arguing since we have found a lovely middle ground but the heaviest food I have ever eaten was made by Italians from the North. I think people cook unheathly all over the US.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:12 PM

759 posts, read 1,026,645 times
Default recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharry View Post
Does anyone have a good recipe for home made Strawberry Ice cream?
You might have more luck getting recipes if you post this (and the one about cooking crabs) in the food and drink - recipes forum/thread or whatever you call it......Not that you won't get any responses here, just more likely that people will answer you there.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:09 PM

539 posts, read 943,874 times
There's a recipe section? Gee, never knew that! I usually just turn to internet searches or one of my over 100 cookbooks...guess I just collect stuff. Don't ever challenge a person with recipes hehe, I love it!

Ben and Jerry's version, 1986
1 pt fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 c sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon

Sweet Cream Base
*2 large eggs
*3/4 c sugar
*2 c heavy or whipping cream
*1c milk

Combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hr.

Prepare the Sweet Cream Base. Mash the strawberries to a puree and stir into the cream base.

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze folling the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes 1 generous qt.

Note: For a chunkier ice cream, drain the juice from the strawberries and whisk it into the cream base just before transferring it to the ice cream maker. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 mins before it is done), add the mashed strawberries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

Strawberry-Lemon Gelato, Biba's Italian Kitchen
1 lb fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and cut into halves
1/2 c granulated sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 c cold whipping cream, beaten to a medium-thick consistency

Put the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice into a food processor and process until smooth. Pour the mixture through a strainer and into the bowl of an ice cream machine. Run the machine for 10-15 mins. Add the wipped cream and run the machine for 5 mins longer, or until the ice cream has a smooth, fluffy consistency.

Serve the gelato immediately or freeze it until you are ready to serve it.

(can use the same recipe using blackberries, blueberries, or boysenberries in the same proportions)

Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM

539 posts, read 943,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pburgess68 View Post
T

Ben and Jerry's version, 1986
1 pt fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 c sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon

Sweet Cream Base
*2 large eggs
*3/4 c sugar
*2 c heavy or whipping cream
*1c milk

Combine the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hr.

Prepare the Sweet Cream Base. Mash the strawberries to a puree and stir into the cream base.

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze folling the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes 1 generous qt.

Note: For a chunkier ice cream, drain the juice from the strawberries and whisk it into the cream base just before transferring it to the ice cream maker. After the ice cream stiffens (about 2 mins before it is done), add the mashed strawberries, then continue freezing until the ice cream is ready.

Some how I must have deleted the Sweet Cream Base prep part when I was typing it up. Sorry about that.

Sweet Cream Base
2 large eggs
3/4 c sugar
2c heavy or whipping cream
1 c milk

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about 1 minute more. Pour in the cream and milk and whisk to blend.

Makes 1 qt.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 AM

882 posts, read 2,187,317 times
Not sure how I missed out on the great Mayo debate.. but agree wholeheartedly with PD.. Banana Sandwiches with Dukes and a little sugar (never tried brown sugar tho) is SPOT ON.

Kinda like a 'mater sandwich with Dukes and a very little bit of salt and a decent amount of pepper..

And, of course, the traditional thick sliced, fried bologna and cheese sandwich..

Neecewh-
Do yourself a favor and make some of the best slaw you'll ever eat...

Keep in mind i never measure anything.. LOL
Dukes mayo
Sugar
Pepper
Hint of salt (I'm not a salt fan AT ALL)
Head of cabbage
Sweet Relish (if you like - I can do it with or without- My Grandma always made it with)

Cut/Chop cabbage (I use a serrated chopper thing with a handle on it)
Mix in spoonfuls of Dukes... one at a time until you get it the consistency you like..
Mix in a little sugar (a teaspoon full or two always works for me)
Mix in pepper/salt and sweet relish if you choose...

Once mixed well, let it sit in the fridge for 15-30 minutes... then top on your favorite grilled burger, hot dog, brat, cheddar dog or fried bologna and cheese sandwich...

Good stuff!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:58 AM

1,797 posts, read 2,360,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
...Kinda like a 'mater sandwich with Dukes and a very little bit of salt and a decent amount of pepper...
Oh Yeah!.... But it's gotta go on white bread. Whole wheat will ruin the whole thing!

Careful, rrufast, I was holdin' back on the gourmet recipes. Can't give away all the secrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area